Does such a vehicle exist?...

socal78

Is there such a thing as a sports car or a compact sporty vehicle that does NOT have tight suspension?

The situation: My youngest child recently got his driver's license. 🥳 I've spent decades driving a "responsible, family vehicle". I just gave away that vehicle to the new driver. Now I'm looking for a vehicle for myself in this new stage of life. I did family life early so I'm still kind of young and want something fun to drive. No more SUVs. It could seat 2 or 4. I can drive a stick shift or automatic. Gas or hybrid or EV - anything is fine. It probably won't get a lot of use anyway so it really doesn't matter because it won't be going many miles. Mostly around town. Short local trips. I would probably be the only passenger most of the time. One other person sometimes. Very rarely more than 2.

I've test-driven a couple [insert sports car of your dreams here] and was surprised how much I didn't like them and couldn't wait to get out. I can not stand feeling every bump on the road. I guess I got used to having plenty of headroom and feeling like I'm floating on a cloud while driving. That's how my car drives. It's not a minivan but it feels like one. Now I'm spoiled.

Is there anything fun to drive that's also comfortable?? Or is this like shoes where you must choose between fashion and comfort??

How big of a loosen up do you want?  Most sporty coupe/sedans come with a sport/touring mode and touring  mode will have softer steering, spongier shocks and less aggressive shifting.

Comfort in the car is really about the fit.  Yes, physical body fit.  The physical fit between a Honda S2000 and a BMW Z4 is huge and corresponding comfort for the driver in either tail of the distribution will be notable.

Would a Miata Grand Touring work?  A CX-5?  A BMW 3 or 5 series using the different driving modes?

Most MBZ sedans would fit the bill. Certainly American sedans which are often built with that squishy barcalounger feel to them would do. I like the Cadillac or Buick suggestions. I usually buy pre-owned and looking at the prices on Autotrader or Cars.com you're probably in the 20-25k range for a sub 50k mileage late 90's early 2000's vehicle. YOW! At that vintage you give up parking sensors, lane assist, but gain the benefits of the vehicle being sturdy, comfortable, and already broken in.

Haven't driven a Hyundai Genesis but that also might be an option. I saw a 2014 with 19k miles (pffft - nothing really) for about $22k, single owner with a clean CarFax on-line. Tempting....

Good luck out there.

PS - I have an SUVertible - Murano Crosscabriolet - that has plenty of headroom when the top is down. It's a very comfortable ride, but with any convertible vehicle there is plenty of body sway and torque. A rare car, but one that fits your wish for fun, with an SUV ride.

My vote is for a Mazda Miata/MX-5. A two seat convertible that is affordable, has a manual transmission (auto optional), sporty but not harsh suspension, and most importantly -- loads of fun to drive. Definitely not practical but that's not what you are looking for.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRVp7uCmmRY[/youtube]

I have a Miata and it doesn't sound like it is the answer. It definitely does not feel like a cloud while driving, and I mean this as someone who really enjoys the car.

It sounds like the OP is looking for something that is super comfy while also being reasonably fun to drive. I would look at the RS3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtE0LC-lVfU) or GV60 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUD6xcyfmCY&t=430s)

ND Miata doesn't have a cloud suspension but it is better than many sport sedans. Haven't driven a RS3 but tried other Audi RS products and found them firmer than a Miata. Not sure about a GV60--nice luxury EV SUV but seems boring.

If SoCal can swing a higher budget, how about a base 911 with PASM and smaller wheels? Should be a very comfortable ride.

Thanks for the suggestions but some of them made me wonder if some have misread my "under $300k" comment as "under $30k". It was a response to the Rolls. 😊 I'm ok with over $30k.

Buy any Toyota in the XSE trim.

Most comfortable cars usually have a sports trim.

And yes... I'm still an EV proponent but like muscle cars... I drool a little whenever I see a Dodge Challenger/Charger or Camaro/TransAm.

SoCal said:
Is there such a thing as a sports car or a compact sporty vehicle that does NOT have tight suspension?
The situation: My youngest child recently got his driver's license. 🥳 I've spent decades driving a "responsible, family vehicle". I just gave away that vehicle to the new driver. Now I'm looking for a vehicle for myself in this new stage of life. I did family life early so I'm still kind of young and want something fun to drive. No more SUVs. It could seat 2 or 4. I can drive a stick shift or automatic. Gas or hybrid or EV - anything is fine. It probably won't get a lot of use anyway so it really doesn't matter because it won't be going many miles. Mostly around town. Short local trips. I would probably be the only passenger most of the time. One other person sometimes. Very rarely more than 2.
I've test-driven a couple [insert sports car of your dreams here] and was surprised how much I didn't like them and couldn't wait to get out. I can not stand feeling every bump on the road. I guess I got used to having plenty of headroom and feeling like I'm floating on a cloud while driving. That's how my car drives. It's not a minivan but it feels like one. Now I'm spoiled.
Is there anything fun to drive that's also comfortable?? Or is this like shoes where you must choose between fashion and comfort??

I have been shopping for an used minivan and will say that the supply issue still persists, resulting in higher prices.  So depending on your budget, you might want to consider both purchase price and maintenance / cost of ownership carefully.

A few years back when I retired one of my Camry sedans, I was in the market for a higher end replacement.  Was looking at used Maserati Ghibli which was priced very reasonably, until I talked to owners about cost of ownership.  It was significantly higher than BMW & Mercedes.  In the end I bought an used Lexus ES 350 which is... a dressed up Camry with Camry level safety in crash tests.  But it's very reliable and low maintenance cost.  Lexus also has a F sport line for performance.

At your price range you can afford an used luxury car with nice interior.  Considering that you're in the driver's seat, how you feel about sitting in the cockpit is more important than what pedestrians feel about your car's exterior.

Brief update.

Went car shopping after posting.

Tesla at Fashion Island: 6 month+ wait for Model Y. Pass.

RSM Honda: Slim pickin's! Empty lots. Big dealer markups, especially on hybrids. Totally underestimated the car shortages/ supply chain issues currently. Had planned to buy something that day. They only had ugly interiors or models that don't fit my lifestyle. Hybrids are totally not worth it when it would literally take 50 yrs to recoup any gas savings from purchase price. I drive very little. Left empty-handed.

Norm Reeves Honda, Irvine: Slightly better selection. Even bigger markups. Left with nothing.

Mercedes-Benz / Foothill Ranch: Shopping there next, once the temps drop. Hard looking on the lots in this heat. I can't function. By the time it cools down, I might as well wait for 2023 models. I'm interested in the gla or glb?

Will re-assess the situation over the next few months. Did get a follow-up message from Norm Reeves that they got a whole bunch of 2022s in and in colors I like. I didn't panic-buy though. Will wait and see. Might buy a 2023 Honda crv. They're redesigning it this year.

SoCal said:

I've owned 3 panameras because they check the most boxes out of any car on the market for me.  Drives well, fits a family, comfortable but sporty when you want it to be... they make them in enough trims and options where you can make it sportier or softer depending on what you are looking for. 

SoCal said:
Brief update.

RSM Honda: Slim pickin's! Empty lots. Big dealer markups, especially on hybrids. Totally underestimated the car shortages/ supply chain issues currently. Had planned to buy something that day. They only had ugly interiors or models that don't fit my lifestyle. Hybrids are totally not worth it when it would literally take 50 yrs to recoup any gas savings from purchase price. I drive very little. Left empty-handed.

Norm Reeves Honda, Irvine: Slightly better selection. Even bigger markups. Left with nothing.

Mercedes-Benz / Foothill Ranch: Shopping there next, once the temps drop. Hard looking on the lots in this heat. I can't function. By the time it cools down, I might as well wait for 2023 models. I'm interested in the gla or glb?

Will re-assess the situation over the next few months. Did get a follow-up message from Norm Reeves that they got a whole bunch of 2022s in and in colors I like. I didn't panic-buy though. Will wait and see. Might buy a 2023 Honda crv. They're redesigning it this year.

Estimate delivery for Model Y Long Range is Dec 2022 - Apr 2023.
However, estimate delivery for Model Y Performance is Sep - Oct 2022.
You could get a Model Y almost immediately if you're willing to pay $4000 extra.  8)

Do NOT pay markup for basic Hondas or Toyotas at local SoCal dealers. Once you find one you like, order through a broker and they will probably sell it at MSRP.

CalBears96 said:
SoCal said:
Brief update.

Estimate delivery for Model Y Long Range is Dec 2022 - Apr 2023.
However, estimate delivery for Model Y Performance is Sep - Oct 2022.
You could get a Model Y almost immediately if you're willing to pay $4000 extra.  8)

Yeah, unfortunately I wouldn't buy the performance even if it was cheaper than the long range and available tomorrow. I tried it. It's just not the most comfortable fit for me, physically, driving and getting in & out. Maybe others would love it though. But for me personally that's also how I feel about the Model S vs S plaid. Just a personal preference.

Back