Dish vs cox vs Fios

IrvineBS said:
qwerty said:
IrvineBS - how else can you get Sunday ticket? Are you thinking red zone channel?

they just announced it for this season.  :)

NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV/TOGO

That's only if they dont offer direct tv in your area or your HOA doesn't allow the dish.

qwerty said:
IrvineBS said:
qwerty said:
IrvineBS - how else can you get Sunday ticket? Are you thinking red zone channel?

NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV/TOGO

That's only if they dont offer direct tv in your area or your HOA doesn't allow the dish.

I'm pretty sure this option lets you stream online? and you can always use KODI or airplay to throw it up on the big screen

Kings said:
spootieho said:
BruinDoc said:
I think I've decided to go with Cox. The internet seems to be the most reliable and tv seems good too. Internet reliability and speed trump everything else these days.
Thanks for the input.
Depends on how much TV you watch.  Cox ranks the worst for options in Irvine when it comes to TV, IMO.

I can vouch for this.  I have cox and my TV is terrible.  Lots of cutting in and out despite customer service reps saying the connection to my house is fine.  On my second box.

I switch back and forth between AT&T U-verse and Cox to get their deals every year/couple of years (I know about the loyalty department with Cox, but their offers are getting worse and worse).  I can say that AT&T has much better TV packages with lots more channels.  Cox has issues with their cable boxes, but it's convenient to just take the box to the Cox store at Woodbury and get a new one when you experience TV cutting in and out.  With AT&T, I had issues with their wired boxes, and they wouldn't exchange them at the store, I had to call and have them send one over and mail my old box back, which is a hassle.  With AT&T wireless boxes though, I have not had any issues.  If wireless is weak, I can plug in the Ethernet, since my house has Ethernet in every room. 

Internet-wise, with AT&T Gigapower, I can say they're on par with Cox.  I can't notice a difference between 50M and 150M with Cox, and don't notice a difference between 150M and 1G between Cox and AT&T.  With AT&T, they force you to use their router, which slows down as time goes on and you have to power cycle to get the speed back up.  But by slowing down, I mean it goes from 950Mbps on speedtest to about 500Mbps...still plenty fast.

qwerty said:
IrvineBS said:
qwerty said:

NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV/TOGO

Find someone you know getting an MBA or something and you can get the student version for $99.  Second year doing it and it works great. 

Ok so we went with Cox Contour 2. So far very impressed, no service issues.
My next decision is whether to go with Apple TV, Blu-ray player, both, or neither. The AV installer was telling me that he was recommending Blu-ray because they have apps and some features which sound like on-demand.  But we have quite a few on-demand options with Cox.  And Apple TV sounds similar as well. Our previous Blu-ray player is old and doesn't have any such features.  I'd appreciate any opinions/suggestions, thanks!

BruinDoc said:
My next decision is whether to go with Apple TV, Blu-ray player, both, or neither. The AV installer was telling me that he was recommending Blu-ray because they have apps and some features which sound like on-demand.  But we have quite a few on-demand options with Cox.  And Apple TV sounds similar as well. Our previous Blu-ray player is old and doesn't have any such features.  I'd appreciate any opinions/suggestions, thanks!

I'd go with the newest generation Apple TV.  My friend has it and it's great.. plus he can add new apps when they are available.  Something I don't have in the older  generation Apple TVs. 

jmoney74 said:
BruinDoc said:

I'd go with the newest generation Apple TV.  My friend has it and it's great.. plus he can add new apps when they are available.  Something I don't have in the older  generation Apple TVs.

I have been saying all along to get the new gen Apple TV.

Directv pulled a WellsFargo on me, extending my contract without my consent.  I am sure they are going to try and hit me with a cancellation fee since I moved and wanted to compare service options before renewing.  I'm hoping they don't make this difficult.

irvineshadow said:
Directv pulled a WellsFargo on me, extending my contract without my consent.  I am sure they are going to try and hit me with a cancellation fee since I moved and wanted to compare service options before renewing.  I'm hoping they don't make this difficult.

I know they record things now when they extend you.. so I think you can contest it. 

Are you sure there wasn't an automatic renewal clause? Those clauses should be illegal in my opinion and should require positive confirmation from the customer for contract renewal, if positive confirmation is not received it should default to month to month.

irvineshadow said:
I'm going to challenge them to produce my acknowledgement of a contract extension.  Otherwise it's just hearsay.

I've never seen Direct TV with an annual renewal.  Only renews if you choose a new plan.

qwerty said:
Are you sure there wasn't an automatic renewal clause? Those clauses should be illegal in my opinion and should require positive confirmation from the customer for contract renewal, if positive confirmation is not received it should default to month to month.

There was no automatic renewal.  Once your contract is up you just pay your same monthly fee on a per month basis.  But they tried to offer me something I didn't want which would have resulted in an extended contract.  I said I didn't want it but it they gave it to me anyway and thus extended my contract, then gave me a hard time to undo all that mess. 

Fortunately it seems that they have rectified the situation, but not until several long annoying phone calls.

Back