Dish vs cox vs Fios

BruinDoc

I was wondering what you all think about tv/internet providers based on experience.
I had dish before and was pretty satisfied but have heard complaints about the nightly reset and 'joeys'. Specifically I've heard complaints that the joeys mean you have to watch the same channels as the main receiver?
Since pac-12 network is essential (surprise based on my moniker), direct tv is out (though I've heard good things otherwise).
Thanks in advance.

I have cox which I pay a lot for...cause I get 100 megabits down (12.5 megabytes).
It has been really stable.....3 years of service and I don't recall it going out once.

Compared to Time Warner & Charter which had no service once a week for a few hours...usually at night.

I've had COX for about a year. Fantastic service. No outages and stable speeds.

You can find deals out there for bundles. I have TV/Internet/Home life. Really satisfied with them.

Only Con is the extras $10/mo for additional DVR's

Cox wanted to charge me for the docsis 3.0 cable modem.  I think it was $8/month.  I just bought one on amazon and had the cox tech set it up.  It was $59.  You can probably buy a DVR yourself and hook it up.

I forgot to inquire about AT&T U-verse. We're in OH and I think they have that in the neighborhood as well.

For Internet there is only one choice. Cox. Anything else is a mistake. Very reliable.

Why do you need the pac-12 network? To catch 2-3 UCLA games a year? I have direct tv and I just got a password for the pac-12 app from a friend who has time warner. So when there is the occasional SC game on the pac-12 network I just watch it on my phone or laptop. Or you can just hook up your laptop to your tv.

IrvineBS said:
BruinDoc said:
I forgot to inquire about AT&T U-verse. We're in OH and I think they have that in the neighborhood as well.

ATT is garbage. DSL is very slow. DONT DO IT!
AT&T is hit and miss when it comes to internet.  They have fast internet packages depending on what part of Irvine you live in.
There's Gigapower which is gigabit speeds
There's real uverse which is fast, but not nearly as fast as cox
There's fake uverse which is their rebranded dog shit dsl.  (high speed internet at 6mbps)  This really crappy DSL only exists because idiotic Irvine residents voted to stop AT&T from improving it's infrastructure west of the 5.  They then complain it sucks yet they wont allow improvement. 

AT&T is the best for TV, IMO.  It's usually only offered in the real uverse areas.  I'm not sure about the gigapower areas. 
DirecTv would probably be second best, followed by Dish and then Cox last when it comes to TV.

I think I've decided to go with Cox. The internet seems to be the most reliable and tv seems good too. Internet reliability and speed trump everything else these days.
Thanks for the input.

BruinDoc said:
I think I've decided to go with Cox. The internet seems to be the most reliable and tv seems good too. Internet reliability and speed trump everything else these days.
Thanks for the input.
Depends on how much TV you watch.  Cox ranks the worst for options in Irvine when it comes to TV, IMO.

spootieho said:
BruinDoc said:
Thanks for the input.
Depends on how much TV you watch.  Cox ranks the worst for options in Irvine when it comes to TV, IMO.

I can vouch for this.  I have cox and my TV is terrible.  Lots of cutting in and out despite customer service reps saying the connection to my house is fine.  On my second box.

Kings said:
spootieho said:
BruinDoc said:
Thanks for the input.

I can vouch for this.  I have cox and my TV is terrible.  Lots of cutting in and out despite customer service reps saying the connection to my house is fine.  On my second box.

Darn, just when I thought I had figured out what to do?Cutting in and out doesn't sound good  :((especially since I watch a ton of sports).What other specific problems are there with cox tv service? Reception/picture quality, packages, dvr?

Go with DirecTV for Cable... I rarely get outages and if you're a sports fan how can you live without NFL Sunday Ticket.

Also the wireless boxes are awesome, easy to move outside and watch sports in your backyard when you entertain.

BruinDoc said:
Darn, just when I thought I had figured out what to do?Cutting in and out doesn't sound good  :((especially since I watch a ton of sports).What other specific problems are there with cox tv service? Reception/picture quality, packages, dvr?
In the past, it was subpar equipment and subpar picture quality.  It might be better today.  Be sure to look at the channel lineups in HD and make sure all the channels you want in HD are there.

BruinDoc said:
Kings said:
spootieho said:
BruinDoc said:
Thanks for the input.

I have COX and love the service. They operate on the Comcast Xfinity X1 service which they call "contour 2" - new HD service with DVR and voice-activated remote. Pretty neat. And haven't had ANY problems with TV cutting out

You don't need DirectTV anymore to watch Sunday Ticket and I always thought those satellite dishes looked ridiculous on houses. With all this technology around, why are they still so damn big?

aquabliss said:
Go with DirecTV for Cable... I rarely get outages and if you're a sports fan how can you live without NFL Sunday Ticket.

Also the wireless boxes are awesome, easy to move outside and watch sports in your backyard when you entertain.

+1

Direct TV for cable and Cox for the internet only. 

I have Directvand cox for Internet. Before though I had cox for cable and never had any issues.

Back