Dick Cheney

stepping_up_IHB

I am exhausted and so very much looking forward to my first three day weekend since New Year's. In fact, I was ready for it last night. So, I get up this morning and I'm not only tired, but also a bit hung over. I stumble down the driveway to get my Register and LA Times and what's the first thing I see? Dick Cheney's face. And frankly, this just pissed me off. Didn't America tell the dickster that he should go away in Nov? It's May 2009 and I don't want to see his darned face on the front page of the paper at 6:09 am unless it's an article indicating that he's being indicted or his heart finally gave out. In fact, if it's the latter, I think that should even go on page 5.

Boy are you asking for it (I think). I have to agree. Why is it that he was the silent puppet master for eight years and now he won't shut up? If you haven't already, google Jon Stewart's bit on him last night.

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have been killing it lately. Last weekend, there was an interesting interview with the chairman of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele, on Meet the Press. Here's the set up: Rush Limbaugh recently said that the GOP would be better off if Colin Powell became a democrat. In turn, Powell said that the GOP would be better off if Limbaugh didn't speak for them. Thereafter, Bob Schieffer interviewed Dick Cheney, who said that if he had to choose between the two, he would pick Limbaugh (because, he said, he thought Powell had already left the party). Now back to Meet the Press: When asked who he'd take, Steele said he welcomes them both, because he is "in the process of working with leaders across this country to multiply and, and add to this party, not subtract and divide." It was an interesting exchange and the video and transcript can be found <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30755466//">here</a>.

Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, and Pat Robertson make my skin crawl. GWB is just dumb.

The Democrats are loving Dick Cheney being in the spotlight. His approval ratings are somewhere in the teens, and the more people associate the Republican Party with him, the better the Democrats look. If Dick Cheney really wanted to help the Republican Party, he would shut his mouth; however, since he is stubborn, he will continue to drive voters into the Democratic camp. Idiot.

If it makes you feel any better, his ugly mug was on the cover of the WSJ too. It was parallel to President Obama's picture. If you saw the pictures, Obama'a expression is... "Do you know how difficult it is to clean up his sh*t?". And Cheney's was "uhhhh... did I just crap my pants?". I'm not kidding either. If you pick up the WSJ, Obama really looks like he is saying sh*t, and Cheney really looks like he is saying uhhhh. Like IR said, keep Cheney talking out of the side of his mouth, he does a great job supporting the dems by doing it. Is it hunting season yet?

[quote author="trrenter" date=1244079212]Dick supports Gay Marriage!!!</blockquote>

Yeah, and maybe he wouldn't have supported the Iraq war either if he had a child who HAD to go.

[quote author="tmare" date=1244080435][quote author="trrenter" date=1244079212]Dick supports Gay Marriage!!!</blockquote>

Yeah, and maybe he wouldn't have supported the Iraq war either if he had a child who HAD to go.</blockquote>

Based on that logic Obama wouldn't support more ground forces in Afghanistan if he had a child that HAD to go. More troops have died this year in Afghanistan then they did this time last year and the military is forecasting even more over the summer.

Meanwhile Obama is increasing the presence from 86k to 134k but it is likely even more then that will be deployed. Are you saying no president or VP would ever declare war if their child Had to go?

[quote author="trrenter" date=1244087874][quote author="tmare" date=1244080435][quote author="trrenter" date=1244079212]Dick supports Gay Marriage!!!</blockquote>

Yeah, and maybe he wouldn't have supported the Iraq war either if he had a child who HAD to go.</blockquote>

Based on that logic Obama wouldn't support more ground forces in Afghanistan if he had a child that HAD to go. More troops have died this year in Afghanistan then they did this time last year and the military is forecasting even more over the summer.

Meanwhile Obama is increasing the presence from 86k to 134k but it is likely even more then that will be deployed. Are you saying no president or VP would ever declare war if their child Had to go?</blockquote>

It was a joke, only because he is now for this because he has a gay child. Get it?

[quote author="tmare" date=1244080435][quote author="trrenter" date=1244079212]Dick supports Gay Marriage!!!</blockquote>

I see it more that he only comes out in support of it now that he is not in office. His daughter was openly gay when he was VP, but he didn't really do anything to support gay marriage at the time. Of course, a lot of politicians are scared to publicly support gay marriage.

His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

I don't think Cheney ever really though that he would ever ascend to president after Bush squeeked in for the second time.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1244114990]His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue <strong>so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other</strong>. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

I don't think Cheney ever really though that he would ever ascend to president after Bush squeeked in for the second time.</blockquote>

I don't buy it--what a crock of sh%t. I can think of a really good reason he SHOULD have expressed his views--to support his openly gay daughter and send a message to Americans that a Republican VP in an administration largely voted into office by the religious right supports gay marriage. The fact of the matter is that his party, GWB, the Christian Coalition and other nutters would have had a f!%king fit. I cannot believe we are discussing this poor excuse for a "leader."

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1244120302][quote author="trrenter" date=1244114990]His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue <strong>so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other</strong>. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

I don't think Cheney ever really though that he would ever ascend to president after Bush squeeked in for the second time.</blockquote>

I don't buy it--what a crock of sh%t. I can think of a really good reason he SHOULD have expressed his views--to support his openly gay daughter and send a message to Americans that a Republican VP in an administration largely voted into office by the religious right supports gay marriage. The fact of the matter is that his party, GWB, the Christian Coalition and other nutters would have had a f!%king fit. I cannot believe we are discussing this poor excuse for a "leader."</blockquote>

So if Biden had a view that was completly contradictory to the Dem party line and Obama he should come out and openly express that view? A view or belief that could cause harm to Obama's voting block? A view that as you pointed out would probably cause voters to not vote that ticket.

That would really be a breach of faith and protocol.

For instance if Biden was Pro Life not Pro Choice which is contradictory to his party and Obama should he come out and say so? Of course not that is not his place to do that. It is his place to fall in party line unless/until he ascends to president or leaves office.

Then the VP (Biden in my example) would be free to voice his true opinion.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1244153773][quote author="Sunshine" date=1244120302][quote author="trrenter" date=1244114990]His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue <strong>so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other</strong>. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

I don't buy it--what a crock of sh%t. I can think of a really good reason he SHOULD have expressed his views--to support his openly gay daughter and send a message to Americans that a Republican VP in an administration largely voted into office by the religious right supports gay marriage. The fact of the matter is that his party, GWB, the Christian Coalition and other nutters would have had a f!%king fit. I cannot believe we are discussing this poor excuse for a "leader."</blockquote>

So if Biden had a view that was completly contradictory to the Dem party line and Obama he should come out and openly express that view? A view or belief that could cause harm to Obama's voting block? A view that as you pointed out would probably cause voters to not vote that ticket.

For instance if Biden was Pro Life not Pro Choice which is contradictory to his party and Obama should he come out and say so? Of course not that is not his place to do that. It is his place to fall in party line unless/until he ascends to president or leaves office.

I disagree. Biden or any VP could respectfully state that his personal stance is "A", but that he understands the need for the country to come together to find middle ground between "A" and "B". Cheney could have said that as the parent of a homosexual he has personal insight into their plight and understands that a national dialogue is necessary to come to a resolution.

If everyone wasn't so insistent on cementing their feet in the ground, this country would be a lot better off all the way around. Isn't that was democracy is supposed to be about? Instead everyone simply focuses on bitch slapping the other side of the argument with their pundits on supposed "NEWS" programs. It really is a pathetic example of democracy in action.

Then the VP (Biden in my example) would be free to voice his true opinion.</blockquote>

[quote author="trrenter" date=1244153773][quote author="Sunshine" date=1244120302][quote author="trrenter" date=1244114990]His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue <strong>so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other</strong>. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

Then the VP (Biden in my example) would be free to voice his true opinion.</blockquote>

As I pointed out--and as you reiterated-- he didn't speak out because it was politically unpalatable to his party and his mouthpiece of a boss. My point was that the Dick's excuse-- that he didn't speak up while in office because he thinks it's a state issue-- is a crock. Would I expect Biden to publicly disclose a contrarian view? Unfortunately, no. That is the reality of American politics. I didn't expect Cheney to be a contrarian either. However, I would expect both Cheney and Biden to either keep their mouths shut after the fact, or actually speak truthfully about why they didn't speak out, rather than throw out some ridiculous excuse, as was done here. I pointed out other reasons why he should (or could) have spoken out, not because I think it was a politically palatable move, but because you said that "it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind." It makes me sad that people in this country continue to believe anything that comes out of the Dick's mouth.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1244193574][quote author="trrenter" date=1244153773][quote author="Sunshine" date=1244120302][quote author="trrenter" date=1244114990]His opinion is it isn't a federal issue it is a state issue <strong>so as VP there was no reason for him really to say one way or the other</strong>. If that is truly his opinion then I it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind.

As I pointed out--and as you reiterated-- he didn't speak out because it was politically unpalatable to his party and his mouthpiece of a boss. My point was that the Dick's excuse-- that he didn't speak up while in office because he thinks it's a state issue-- is a crock. Would I expect Biden to publicly disclose a contrarian view? Unfortunately, no. That is the reality of American politics. I didn't expect Cheney to be a contrarian either. However, I would expect both Cheney and Biden to either keep their mouths shut after the fact, or actually speak truthfully about why they didn't speak out, rather than throw out some ridiculous excuse, as was done here. I pointed out other reasons why he should (or could) have spoken out, not because I think it was a politically palatable move, but because you said that "it makes sense that he didn't come out in support while in office since it isn't a federal issue in his mind." It makes me sad that people in this country continue to believe anything that comes out of the Dick's mouth.</blockquote>

I miss Trooper!!! :( :( :(

Back