Diamond District (??) off Jamboree and Alton

optimusprime_IHB

Is that place done yet? I remember driving by a few months back and saw that it was almost complete...it looked like it was running behind schedule.

Anyone on the IHB know what the status is?

I am waiting for it to open as well. I was told there's a bakery called 85C or sth like that, and they have the best coffee besides the mouth watering cakes... yum...

i've had 85C in Taiwan where they're originally from. Very good quality pastries for not alot of $$. Hope it'll be the same quality/value here in the states

Anyone else notice the bottleneck entrance/exit? Why would they design the entrance to the shops through the H Mart parking lot? Seems like the same people who designed the District designed this place also.. Asian drivers... narrow lanes... bottleneck entrance... I can't wait...

You cannot enter the parking from Jamboree. That was a bit of a suprise and we wound up going all around the block in order to enter on Alton.

The District has crummy traffic/parking stuff too. I am kind of suprised that these new venues would have not been more thought-out. Or maybe they are: set up to seem like the "scenic/longwayin" route.

The bakery is open.

Q: I had heard that this center was funded by a religious group or church. Is that right?

[quote author="NoWowway" date=1221936069]You cannot enter the parking from Jamboree. That was a bit of a suprise and we wound up going all around the block in order to enter on Alton.

The District has crummy traffic/parking stuff too. I am kind of suprised that these new venues would have not been more thought-out. Or maybe they are: set up to seem like the "scenic/longwayin" route.

The bakery is open.

Q: I had heard that this center was funded by a religious group or church. Is that right?</blockquote>

I think the city of Irvine does not want entrance/exits from Jamboree due to disruptions in traffic..

As for the center funded by a religious group? Don't know much about Diamond Development group but as long as its not devil worship, I'm ok with it..

Yeah, I was surprised that there was no entrance or exit on Jamboree. But I think that was intentionally done. So far, I'm very impressed by what I see. For one thing, Tokyo Table is opened until midnight! Can't wait for more late night dining.

We tried to get into <a href="http://www.tokyotable.com">Tokyo Table</a> on one of their opening nights last week but it was packed with a 2 hour wait. I heard through people at my work who went there for lunch that they had free coupons Wed-Fri last week for the same value you spent (good for a a future visit)..not bad.

So we wound up going to Chae Bahn (Korean) Restaurant which is in the building closest to Jamboree and Alton. The food is all <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap">Bibimbop</a> cold and hot dishes. We got #8 which is a mix of rice, vegtables, and a little bit of beef with a raw egg in the middle for $11 and the Bulgogi for $9. Both dishes come out on a very hot stone plate on top of another wooden base. The rice starts to get a little crispy at the bottom which I kinda liked. You also get kimchee, and there is sea salt, pepper, and an onions dish to add flavor. We really liked the food and have already gone a 2nd time.

[quote author="mediaboyz" date=1222170554]We tried to get into <a href="http://www.tokyotable.com">Tokyo Table</a> on one of their opening nights last week but it was packed with a 2 hour wait. I heard through people at my work who went there for lunch that they had free coupons Wed-Fri last week for the same value you spent (good for a a future visit)..not bad.

So we wound up going to Chae Bahn (Korean) Restaurant which is in the building closest to Jamboree and Alton. The food is all <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap">Bibimbop</a> cold and hot dishes. We got #8 which is a mix of rice, vegtables, and a little bit of beef with a raw egg in the middle for $11 and the Bulgogi for $9. Both dishes come out on a very hot stone plate on top of another wooden base. The rice starts to get a little crispy at the bottom which I kinda liked. You also get kimchee, and there is sea salt, pepper, and an onions dish to add flavor. We really liked the food and have already gone a 2nd time.</blockquote>

Oh... sh*t... they have Korean grub there? Man... my Korean friends are slipping. I will have to check this out, with the Korean authority of course. I still swear that no restaurant will compare to grandma's (Oma's) bulgogi. This cracker will be on the case of real Korean food soon. Stay tuned IHBers, not only do I know housing, but I know my bibimbop, and I will have second opinions to see if this is the real deal or not.

[quote author="mediaboyz" date=1222170554]We tried to get into <a href="http://www.tokyotable.com">Tokyo Table</a> on one of their opening nights last week but it was packed with a 2 hour wait. I heard through people at my work who went there for lunch that they had free coupons Wed-Fri last week for the same value you spent (good for a a future visit)..not bad.

So we wound up going to Chae Bahn (Korean) Restaurant which is in the building closest to Jamboree and Alton. The food is all <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap">Bibimbop</a> cold and hot dishes. We got #8 which is a mix of rice, vegtables, and a little bit of beef with a raw egg in the middle for $11 and the Bulgogi for $9. Both dishes come out on a very hot stone plate on top of another wooden base. The rice starts to get a little crispy at the bottom which I kinda liked. You also get kimchee, and there is sea salt, pepper, and an onions dish to add flavor. We really liked the food and have already gone a 2nd time.</blockquote>

Very Nice!!! Mmmmm Mmmmmm. Panda is getting hungry.

So I tried to have dinner tonight at BBQ Chicken. Went inside, went up to the counter, asked if I should order there. Guy told me to sit down at a table. So I did. There was one waitress for the whole place (small place). She was walking around, behind the counter, out to a table with water, wiping another table down, meandering around, etc. There was an Asian couple at a table near me and myself both sitting there with menus we had grabbed ourselves, waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

I finally got up and left. Never going back. Feh. That place deserves to go under.

Oh and leaving the parking lot? NIGHTMARE. I am never going back to Diamond Jamboree. Sat in a line of cars for 10 minutes waiting for one person to park, and the person who was pulling out of the spot she wanted did NOT know how to drive. I'm not kidding. Took him 10 minutes to back out of his spot!

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1222684823]

Oh and leaving the parking lot? NIGHTMARE. I am never going back to Diamond Jamboree. Sat in a line of cars for 10 minutes waiting for one person to park, and the person who was pulling out of the spot she wanted did NOT know how to drive. I'm not kidding. Took him 10 minutes to back out of his spot!</blockquote>

Was that person asian and driving a big-ass Mercedes S500?

[quote author="cantaloop" date=1222687781][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1222684823]

Oh and leaving the parking lot? NIGHTMARE. I am never going back to Diamond Jamboree. Sat in a line of cars for 10 minutes waiting for one person to park, and the person who was pulling out of the spot she wanted did NOT know how to drive. I'm not kidding. Took him 10 minutes to back out of his spot!</blockquote>

Was that person asian and driving a big-ass Mercedes S500?</blockquote>

Ha, I didn't want to say anything. Of course he was Asian. I was the only visible non-Asian in the entire shopping center. I would have thought I was being discriminated against in BBQ Chicken except for the Asian couple near me that was also ignored. Can't remember the make of the car. Not a Mercedes. Perhaps a Lexus???

did it become an "Austin Powers" situation? haha

went there myself yesterday and yup.. that bottleneck situation turned out to be worse then expected.. the main intersection between Hmart and the rest of the plaza is scary... it's not a four way stop.. combined with overflow parking from Hmart and the people spilling out onto the street from Guppy House... fun fun fun...

tried to check out 85 bakery but it was a zoo... i don't know if it was the crowd or the food but something smelled liked ass in there.. i didn't buy anything..

capitol seafood looks interesting.. read their poster.. it's going to be "unimaginable".. interesting word choice....

Back