Current thoughts on Foothill Ranch

gypsyuma_IHB

While I love Irvine, my heart is not set on it, so I would like to explore other areas next door. I have read the past threads on Foothill Ranch, but would like to know what others think of it given the current conditions. Many homes have already surpassed dipping below $250/sf. Take a look at this one:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Foothill-Ranch/77-Montecilo-92610/home/4799367

* So would you consider purchasing in Foothill Ranch? Why or why not?

* Besides the inconvenient location of a couple of the schools, how is their reputation?

* I read in one past thread that one of the builders in Foothill Ranch was good, while others were bad quality. How do you know who the builder was on a property?

* What do you see in the short term and long term for Foothill Ranch?

I used to love Foothill Ranch but not anymore. At first I considered it my top alternative to Irvine. I liked the hillside views, the lower ppsf, the access to all that shopping, and the location. After looking into it a lot more over the last year, my opinion has changed. I learned from No_Vas's geological maps that the hillside homes have the potential for landslide. Also, the homes are really starting to show their age and looking dated. There is also a noticeable lack of greenbelts and tot lots compared to Irvine. While the elementaries are conveniently located (although I think one had landslide damage and they closed part of the school last year for repairs.. it was either there or Portola Hills) the middle school is way out in RSM and really you only get there quickly if you take the toll road and that adds up. I did a dry run one afternoon from FR to the junior high and did not care for the drive. Also the demographics feels a bit different. When I went grocery shopping there, for example, I only saw other whites and it felt odd for some reason. I guess I'm the duck that thinks it's a goose and prefer more Asians because that's what I'm used to. :lol:

You can find out who the builder is on a potential home by visiting <a href="http://www.insidetract.com/search.html">The Inside Tract.</a> Click on "Lake Forest" and the builder will be listed along with the tract name.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243568472]I used to love Foothill Ranch but not anymore. At first I considered it my top alternative to Irvine. I liked the hillside views, the lower ppsf, the access to all that shopping, and the location. After looking into it a lot more over the last year, my opinion has changed. I learned from No_Vas's geological maps that the hillside homes have the potential for landslide. Also, the homes are really starting to show their age and looking dated. There is also a noticeable lack of greenbelts and tot lots compared to Irvine. While the elementaries are conveniently located (although I think one had landslide damage and they closed part of the school last year for repairs.. it was either there or Portola Hills) the middle school is way out in RSM and really you only get there quickly if you take the toll road and that adds up. I did a dry run one afternoon from FR to the junior high and did not care for the drive. Also the demographics feels a bit different. When I went grocery shopping there, for example, I only saw other whites and it felt odd for some reason. I guess I'm the duck that thinks it's a goose and prefer more Asians because that's what I'm used to. :lol:

You can find out who the builder is on a potential home by visiting <a href="http://www.insidetract.com/search.html">The Inside Tract.</a> Click on "Lake Forest" and the builder will be listed along with the tract name.</blockquote>

Yeah, the JH out in RSM is a deal breaker for us too...

Prices in AV are nearing that of Foothill Ranch and for nearly the same money, if we can't buy in Irvine, I'd rather be closer to the beach. The schools are a closer and easier to get to in AV vs. FHR.

I also considered FR, but decided against it. It feels much more inland, like it's in the Inland Empire, if that makes sense. Maybe because it's closer to the hills. (I personally don't like that because I worry about wildfires.) It also feels less upscale than Irvine. Just my opinion.

[quote author="cherry14" date=1243580673]I also considered FR, but decided against it. It feels much more inland, like it's in the Inland Empire, if that makes sense. Maybe because it's closer to the hills. (I personally don't like that because I worry about wildfires.) It also feels less upscale than Irvine. Just my opinion.</blockquote>
Less upscale, eh? Are there too many redneck hillbillies out in Foothill Ranch or something?

[quote author="CK" date=1243581290]Don't they have a Walmart in Foothill Ranch?</blockquote>
I heart Walmart and can't wait for them to come into Irvine. haha

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1243581359]

Are there too many redneck hillbillies out in Foothill Ranch or something?</blockquote>

Another way of saying that is "Don't they have a Walmart out there?"

[quote author="CK" date=1243581536][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1243581359]

Are there too many redneck hillbillies out in Foothill Ranch or something?</blockquote>

Another way of saying that is "Don't they have a Walmart out there?"</blockquote>
Then my mom, my dad, and I are all Euro redneck hillbillies because we all shop at Walmart. Do I get redeemed by the fact that I also shop at Trader Joe's and Costco? haha

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1243582361]Funny how one poster says there are more "whites" in Foothill Ranch and another says it feels "less upscale".

Tell that to Newport.</blockquote>
Newport = yuppies and rich beach bums

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1243581359][quote author="cherry14" date=1243580673]I also considered FR, but decided against it. It feels much more inland, like it's in the Inland Empire, if that makes sense. Maybe because it's closer to the hills. (I personally don't like that because I worry about wildfires.) It also feels less upscale than Irvine. Just my opinion.</blockquote>
Less upscale, eh? Are there too many redneck hillbillies out in Foothill Ranch or something?</blockquote>

No, not redneck hillbillies, but the people seem less wealthy.

[quote author="cherry14" date=1243583085][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1243581359][quote author="cherry14" date=1243580673]I also considered FR, but decided against it. It feels much more inland, like it's in the Inland Empire, if that makes sense. Maybe because it's closer to the hills. (I personally don't like that because I worry about wildfires.) It also feels less upscale than Irvine. Just my opinion.</blockquote>
Less upscale, eh? Are there too many redneck hillbillies out in Foothill Ranch or something?</blockquote>

No, not redneck hillbillies, but the people seem less wealthy.</blockquote>
That's because they can't afford the WTF prices in Irvine or Newport. Those poor bastards. haha

Foothill has too much "ER"

Its Whit<strong>er</strong>, Hott<strong>er</strong> in summer, Windi<strong>er</strong>, Raini<strong>er</strong>, Cold<strong>er</strong> in winter, furth<strong>er</strong> to drive to and from. And just too "ER" for me.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1243643945]Foothill has too much "ER"

Its Whit<strong>er</strong>, Hott<strong>er</strong> in summer, Windi<strong>er</strong>, Raini<strong>er</strong>, Cold<strong>er</strong> in winter, furth<strong>er</strong> to drive to and from. And just too "ER" for me.</blockquote>
And LansnER

[quote author="CK" date=1243581290]Don't they have a Walmart in Foothill Ranch ?</blockquote>There is a WalMart in Laguna Niguel too.

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1243645696][quote author="CK" date=1243581290]Don't they have a Walmart in Foothill Ranch ?</blockquote>There is a WalMart in Aliso Viejo also.</blockquote>
I think that's actually Laguna Niguel... the one on Alicia Parkway.

Back