COX v. UVERSE

just tested the speed on the laptop for Cox Premier, got 58mbps download and 12mbps upload, not too shabby.

Tyler Durden said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So every time I go to Best Buy, that DirecTV salesperson hunts me down and they have a compelling argument about cable charging too much.

I still want to stay with Cox for Internet and Telephone, but is Dish or DirecTV better for TV? It seems they are cheaper, the cheapest Cox basic is $50/mo and that's without DVR whereas I think $50/mo gets you more channels AND whole house DVR on either Dish or DirecTV.

For anyone who has had both cable and satellite, which one do you think is better for the buck?

why have a landline if you are trying to save money?

Or do the cheapo VOIP "landline"

Coleman said:
I am about to get U-Verse installed this Saturday.  For the wife, this was a no brainer as Cox doesn't have the TVBe channel. 

Plus, we are saving about $50 a month over cox for internet and cable due to the new customer package.  After this price package goes away, the pricing should be similar.  Either way TVBe conquers all IHO (In Her Opinion, not IHO, haha)

Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/M233-Player-Chinese-Programs-Monthly/dp/B00B8ZI10C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386440637&sr=8-1&keywords=tvpad+2

Watch TVB for free.

gaogi said:
Coleman said:
I am about to get U-Verse installed this Saturday.  For the wife, this was a no brainer as Cox doesn't have the TVBe channel. 

Plus, we are saving about $50 a month over cox for internet and cable due to the new customer package.  After this price package goes away, the pricing should be similar.  Either way TVBe conquers all IHO (In Her Opinion, not IHO, haha)

Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/M233-Player-Chinese-Programs-Monthly/dp/B00B8ZI10C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386440637&sr=8-1&keywords=tvpad+2

Watch TVB for free.

Whats the quality like?  Similar to Netflix?  And I assume no English subtitles?

I called Cox to see if they can match any Dish or DirecTV pricing and they offered me their new 6-tuner DVR with 2TB of storage upgrade.

So for phone, premium Internet (50MB) and cable with 3 boxes, we are paying about $170/mo. I think that compares favorably to Dish/DirecTV. Just for phone and Internet it was about $100/mo, so $70/mo for TV (including monthly equipment charges and HBO) is maybe a little more than satellite but I don't have to worry about getting the dish installed and all they did was change out my older Cox stuff (even upgraded my modem)... and no installation fees.

irvinehomeowner said:
I called Cox to see if they can match any Dish or DirecTV pricing and they offered me their new 6-tuner DVR with 2TB of storage upgrade.

So for phone, premium Internet (50MB) and cable with 3 boxes, we are paying about $170/mo. I think that compares favorably to Dish/DirecTV. Just for phone and Internet it was about $100/mo, so $70/mo for TV (including monthly equipment charges and HBO) is maybe a little more than satellite but I don't have to worry about getting the dish installed and all they did was change out my older Cox stuff (even upgraded my modem)... and no installation fees.

How much of that is a promo though?

It's all promo... 2 year "contract"... goes up $10/mo 2nd year... but Cox tends to be flexible on pricing if you complain about it... or they'll throw in free add-ons like premium channels.

So in a year I'll re-examine. But I'm going to call Dish/DirecTV to get a true comparison because their website doesn't really give me the breakdown of other costs (like DVR monthly fees) as I think I have an out with Cox because they still haven't installed the 3rd box.

qwerty said:
just tested the speed on the laptop for Cox Premier, got 58mbps download and 12mbps upload, not too shabby.

Just noticed the same speed bump!!  Finally, after years of price increases, a real upgrade in bandwidth.  This is more than double of what I used to get (23 down and 2.5 up).  Makes the price increases a bit easier to swallow now. 

irvinehomeowner said:
new 6-tuner DVR with 2TB of storage

im jealous, Direct TVs is 5 tuner with 1TB of storage :-(

here is my direct TV bill breakout for 3 TVs:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- advanced receiver HD $10
- advanced receiver DVR $10
- whole home DVR $3
- additional TV (1 client) $6
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- advanced receiver HD $(10) - credit for having autopay on my credit card
- primary TV $(6) - crediting back charge for primary TV
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40
then i get the internet service and phone from cox for another 95

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- whole home DVR $3
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40

I have COX Internet for $50.
TV Antenna:  $40 initial costs...no monthly fees
Netflix:  $9 a month

;D

bones said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- whole home DVR $3
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40

What's in the premier package?  Does it include Sunday Ticket?

premier is the top of the line package and has all of the pay channels (HBO, SHowtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc). unfortunately it does not include sunday ticket.

@qwerter:

Thanks for the breakdown... that helps with my comparisons.

I don't really buy anything beyond Advanced Cable... no need for any special sports packages or the HBO/Sho/Max stuff. They threw in HBO but didn't need to since we'll use Netflix or Redbox.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- whole home DVR $3
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40

;D

IC - is that for Cox Premier internet? Ive been meaning to call them for a while to try to get a discount but never get around to doing it.

bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- whole home DVR $3
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40

What's in the premier package?  Does it include Sunday Ticket?

premier is the top of the line package and has all of the pay channels (HBO, SHowtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc). unfortunately it does not include sunday ticket.

red zone??

i think redzone (Direct TVs version) only comes with the sunday ticket. Cox, time warner and others have a redzone channel but its not the same as directvs.

bones said:
Interesting. Thanks for the breakdown and the answers.  I'm thinking about switching over to DirectTV when we move but I think for what we need, Cox is the better deal.  I pay $18.99 for phone, $46 for internet (preferred) and $92 for TV (1 HD receiver, 1 HD DVR receiver, the sports pak which has red zone, NFL, NBA, etc).  So my total bill for all 3 things is around $170.  I call every 6 months to get on a promotion thing that lowers it anywhere from $10-30. 

with cox i pay 19 for basic phone and 67 for premier internet, plus another 8 for taxes/fees - just wanted to breakout the charges for better info for you guys. i need to call this week to get a discount.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- premier package $125
- protection plan $8
- whole home DVR $3
- regional sports fee $2
- additional TV $6
- primary TV $6
- sales tax is $1.44
total is $161.40

;D

IC - is that for Cox Premier internet? Ive been meaning to call them for a while to try to get a discount but never get around to doing it.

I'm not sure...I have to check my bill. 

I pay $105/mo including tax for U-verse TV & Internet:

$46/mo for U-verse Internet Max (12mbps down)
$89/mo for U-verse TV:

- NFL Network (no redzone)
- Lakers, Angels, Dodgers, Clippers, etc.
- 3 DVRs (probably only 500mb hard drive)

($35/mo) discount for multi plan

$5/mo taxes + fee

total: $105/mo

I really do want more storage on my DVR though. AT&T Uverse offers a better one - but only for new customers they say. When my contract is up I'll complain.

Back