COX v. UVERSE

icey said:
Also I believe if you already have Cox cable it's just $10 a month to add the service on. (But that's kind of redundant since it would be the same channels just a different interface).
That's actually okay because since it's a WiFi device, you can basically enable TV in an area where you don't have a cable outlet. So it's like a wireless receiver.

You pay extra per cable box you get anyways so paying an extra $10 a month isn't so bad. And if you go Flare only, $40 isn't that bad compared to what I pay for cable now (and the cheapest satellite non-discounted plan). There's no add-on charge for extra Fan TV devices correct? Just the cost of the device?

$50 is better than what the Engadget article said ($99). And it's still cheaper than a Roku/AppleTV/Vizio CoStar. Couple it with a $35 Chromecast and I think you have most of it covered.

One other thing about live sports, I believe that if you have high speed internet from a cable provider, you get access to streaming sports from ESPN and others online, so you can Chromecast that to your TV too.

irvinehomeowner said:
icey said:
Also I believe if you already have Cox cable it's just $10 a month to add the service on. (But that's kind of redundant since it would be the same channels just a different interface).
That's actually okay because since it's a WiFi device, you can basically enable TV in an area where you don't have a cable outlet. So it's like a wireless receiver.

You pay extra per cable box you get anyways so paying an extra $10 a month isn't so bad. And if you go Flare only, $40 isn't that bad compared to what I pay for cable now (and the cheapest satellite non-discounted plan). There's no add-on charge for extra Fan TV devices correct? Just the cost of the device?

$50 is better than what the Engadget article said ($99). And it's still cheaper than a Roku/AppleTV/Vizio CoStar. Couple it with a $35 Chromecast and I think you have most of it covered.

One other thing about live sports, I believe that if you have high speed internet from a cable provider, you get access to streaming sports from ESPN and others online, so you can Chromecast that to your TV too.

Yes, from what I remember there should be no extra subscription charge for additional units, just the cost of the unit itself.

Thanks for the tips.

So far the cutting of the cord has been very good.  We just have high speed internet from Cox and we got a free year of Netflix for buying our TV. 

Set up an indoor antenna last night and got basically every channel except 7, 9, 11 and 13...something about high VHF and interference.  I am trying another one and hopefully I can get at least 11 for football.

Tyler Durden said:
Have  you guys tried connecting the coax to the TV (even if you cut cable)?

When I had comcast in the bay area, you could get the free channels in HD that way without an antenna.

Yeah, that's what I have. Cox will activate this free cable if you have Preferred or Premium cable modem service, just have to ask them.

I think they sell those flat antennas at Costco too.

They work okay.

Like Ty and Sub say, if you are using Cox internet, I think they give you basic cable signal off the coax (you tune to "dot channel" or "dash channel" to get HD versions of OTA stations)

Irvinecommuter said:
lucky said:
Hey, McFly, those antennas don't work on water. You need power.

This is the antenna I had to get to receive all channels with perfect quality, most importantly the much-sought-after local Vietnamese channels:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BRXW74/

LOL...there were quite a few Vietnamese channel I got with the new antenna. 

Yeah...too expensive and my wive is not going to let me put that up.

Definitely way expensive and only worth buying if you must.

I put it up inside the attic, so it's completely out of sight and out of mind.

Interestingly, I first put it up hanging on a 2x4 at a 45 degree angle and the picture quality was still very poor. I was able to pull it up a few inches further to hang it level and that fixed it. I never really imagined that these radio waves we're receiving need to hit the antenna at any particular angle.

icey said:
Have any of you guys considered Flare from Cox? $40 a month for live tv over Internet. I am beta testing it for about 1 week now. Seems very solid and well thought out device modeled after the Apple delivery/engineering philosophy.

Only issues I have had so far:

1) Sometimes needs a restart after a software update

2) I had an IP address conflict with another computer on the network that caused it to lockup (very rare condition that I need to report)

The device is targeted to people like me that don't watch that much TV. I just want the occasional live sports and the only show I want is Walking Dead. The TV is more for guests than anything.

Looks like this service is being cancelled. Not sure the reasons why but equipment cost and subscription fees are all being refunded.

I was getting some choppy service, not sure if that explains why or if it wasn't getting enough traction. Seemed like an excellent price point for what you were getting but looks like the delivery wasn't there.

I am about to get U-Verse installed this Saturday.  For the wife, this was a no brainer as Cox doesn't have the TVBe channel. 

Plus, we are saving about $50 a month over cox for internet and cable due to the new customer package.  After this price package goes away, the pricing should be similar.  Either way TVBe conquers all IHO (In Her Opinion, not IHO, haha)

My UVERSE was working great for a year until recently.. Not sure if this is why.. but my next door neighbor got UVERSE recently.. and speeds have gone down... I check regularly with speedtest... and the past weeks there were outages as well at very inopportune times (Bronco's game!).  Called customer support on my cell.. looks like they outsource to the phillippines.. not the most helpful.. every filipino operator i get in the past is super nice but super unhelpful.. apologized like 50 times... just to setup a tech to come out....locked in a two year.. at this rate.. might consider cox again..

ps9 said:
My UVERSE was working great for a year until recently.. Not sure if this is why.. but my next door neighbor got UVERSE recently.. and speeds have gone down... I check regularly with speedtest... and the past weeks there were outages as well at very inopportune times (Bronco's game!).  Called customer support on my cell.. looks like they outsource to the phillippines.. not the most helpful.. every filipino operator i get in the past is super nice but super unhelpful.. apologized like 50 times... just to setup a tech to come out....locked in a two year.. at this rate.. might consider cox again..

That's the biggest complaint I see about Uverse...speeds/reliability depends on how far you are away from the central box and how many of your neighbors have it.  They used a shared line where I think cable have dedicated lines.

We went with Cox Internet and the antenna and aside from missing a few channels, we love it.

Just waiting for this to come to Irvine: https://fiber.google.com/about/

Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

That's the biggest complaint I see about Uverse...speeds/reliability depends on how far you are away from the central box and how many of your neighbors have it.  They used a shared line where I think cable have dedicated lines.

We went with Cox Internet and the antenna and aside from missing a few channels, we love it.

Just waiting for this to come to Irvine: https://fiber.google.com/about/

At least you all have a choice... stuck here in ancient University Park with stone-age infrastructure and no options.  :mad:

So every time I go to Best Buy, that DirecTV salesperson hunts me down and they have a compelling argument about cable charging too much.

I still want to stay with Cox for Internet and Telephone, but is Dish or DirecTV better for TV? It seems they are cheaper, the cheapest Cox basic is $50/mo and that's without DVR whereas I think $50/mo gets you more channels AND whole house DVR on either Dish or DirecTV.

For anyone who has had both cable and satellite, which one do you think is better for the buck?

Better bang for the buck is direct tv. I have their best package and Sunday ticket, not sure how I lived before direct tv. Also the genie is great, Allows u to record 5 shows at once with a 1 TB hard drive. Cox came out with contour and wants an extra $50. Crazy.

Just tested cox on iPhone 5s on wifi and got 36 Mbps download and 9 upload, guess they did speed up the service.

Back