Cox Internet Service

locolocal

My internet service has been real spotty lately - not working for hours at a time. Cox says there isn't a problem, but it's starting to irritate me. What other high-speed internet options are there for Irvine and how much do they cost?

[quote author="locolocal"]My internet service has been real spotty lately - not working for hours at a time. Cox says there isn't a problem, but it's starting to irritate me. What other high-speed internet options are there for Irvine and how much do they cost?[/quote]
Do you live at an Irvine Company Apartment? I only ask because we had problems whenever someone would move into the Complex. The cable guy would somehow mess up the wires every time he would activate another apartment. Just one suggestion.

We haven't had any issues with Cox high speed cable. Granted, I've been out of town for a few days, but my wife hasn't mentioned any connectivity issues. Ask your neighbors if they've been having issues. If not, there's something wrong with your hardware or your specific connection.

I had Cox internet service for a while and only had a few outages. My roommate has AT&T DSL and that was worked pretty well too (I think it's about $10-$15/mo cheaper than Cox).

OK I'm an idiot. It turns out the cable wasn't completely screwed in to the modem. I thought I checked it earlier, but I guess not. I guess I just like to complain.

Buy your own Cable modem--renting from them is a rip off. Modems are very cheap. Just make sure you get a compatible model.

I wish we had more TV/Internet options in Irvine--I look forward to Verizon FIOS or AT&T Uverse some day :'(

I've been using Cox Internet for years now with little to no problem . I had an outage a few years ago for a few hours, but other then that, the speed and connection couldn't be better. Now, if only the wiring for cable in my place was better so my picture doesn't constantly freeze....nothing in the tech world works perfectly, eh?

got an email from cox today, the premier internet service, which is what i use, was upgraded to 50MBPS downloads and 10 MBPS uploads with no price increase.

qwerty said:
got an email from cox today, the premier internet service, which is what i use, was upgraded to 50MBPS downloads and 10 MBPS uploads with no price increase.

Cox gives no notice for price increases...the bill just increase by a few dollars.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

Cox gives no notice for price increases...the bill just increase by a few dollars.

well it has not increased yet.

Wow...  How time flies.  I still hate Cox internet service but I accidentally figured out the problem I had back then when I had to move to cable modem to a different location.  The idiot people who came to the house said nothing was wrong with the cable.  (yeah right).  Luckily nothing else needs to be hooked up in that old spot. 

I can go on and on and on about how I hate their customer service (like the girl who told me I needed to call Dell because she insisted it was their problem even though I was using a HP laptop), but it would bore both me and you to pieces.

In other words, Cox suxs.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

well it has not increased yet.

Yeah but wait a few month and the fee for the service will go up by a buck or three.

Me said:
Wow...  How time flies.  I still hate Cox internet service but I accidentally figured out the problem I had back then when I had to move to cable modem to a different location.  The idiot people who came to the house said nothing was wrong with the cable.  (yeah right).  Luckily nothing else needs to be hooked up in that old spot. 

I can go on and on and on about how I hate their customer service (like the girl who told me I needed to call Dell because she insisted it was their problem even though I was using a HP laptop), but it would bore both me and you to pieces.

In other words, Cox suxs.

I haven't had many technical issues with Cox but their sales staff is terrible.  You get promised a lot and then the deals change when you actually sign up. 

Mine has been around 20-25MB for the last 4 years... in our last upgrade it's supposed to be 50MB but can't seem to go higher than 30MB. If that's the case, I might as well pay less for 25MB.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mine has been around 20-25MB for the last 4 years... in our last upgrade it's supposed to be 50MB but can't seem to go higher than 30MB. If that's the case, I might as well pay less for 25MB.

but then you will get 10-15MB

Back