Cox Internet Service

So they reprovisioned my modem and now I get 65Mb when using the direct line, but still only 25Mb over WiFi which I believe is fine for a g router.

I can get an n router but I think my laptop only has a g adapter.

Ugh... Cox just increased their pricing on internet across the board. I did notice an increase in speed. I called and they said that they increased their Premier Preferred plan from 12mbps to 25 mbps.

Internet
Starter will change from $26.99 to $29.99. Essential will change from $41.99 to $46.99. Preferred will change from $55.99 to $61.99. Premier will change from $67.99 to $73.99.

Are other options going to be cheaper than Cox and just as fast? Looks like we only have U-Verse and satellite companies as options in Irvine. Still annoying how FIOS is not available yet and doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon. Anyone have any updates on this? Thanks.

I still think that Cox is faster than U-Verse and U-Verse is not available everywhere in Irvine.

Looking at Cox's website, Premier should be 50Mb not 25 (I also have Premier).

Someone should get Google to install Fiber here, they have an office in Irvine.

Chairman said:
Ugh... Cox just increased their pricing on internet across the board. I did notice an increase in speed. I called and they said that they increased their Premier plan from 12mbps to 25 mbps.

Internet
Starter will change from $26.99 to $29.99. Essential will change from $41.99 to $46.99. Preferred will change from $55.99 to $61.99. Premier will change from $67.99 to $73.99.

Are other options going to be cheaper than Cox and just as fast? Looks like we only have U-Verse and satellite companies as options in Irvine. Still annoying how FIOS is not available yet and doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon. Anyone have any updates on this? Thanks.

I tried to get U-Verse to verify our address because it's not in their system.  U-verse never got back with me.  Plus U-Verse internet is slower than Cox and costed more.  I went with Cox Gold Bundle plan and negotiated a free cable box out of it.

So I have purchased the 100 mbps connection.  I speed tested my phone, it's at 120 mbps for download.  I speed tested my laptop, via LAN connection, it's at 130 mbps!!!  Woohoo!!

irvinehomeowner said:
I still think that Cox is faster than U-Verse and U-Verse is not available everywhere in Irvine.

Looking at Cox's website, Premier should be 50Mb not 25 (I also have Premier).

Someone should get Google to install Fiber here, they have an office in Irvine.

Whoops you are right. I actually have Preferred and not Premier. Are you getting 50mbps over wifi using the ISP speed tests?
https://store.cox.com/residential-store/shop.cox?hsi=w

ZeroLot said:
Chairman said:
Ugh... Cox just increased their pricing on internet across the board. I did notice an increase in speed. I called and they said that they increased their Premier plan from 12mbps to 25 mbps.

Internet

I tried to get U-Verse to verify our address because it's not in their system.  U-verse never got back with me.  Plus U-Verse internet is slower than Cox and costed more.  I went with Cox Gold Bundle plan and negotiated a free cable box out of it.

So I have purchased the 100 mbps connection.  I speed tested my phone, it's at 120 mbps for download.  I speed tested my laptop, via LAN connection, it's at 130 mbps!!!  Woohoo!!

For 100 bucks? 3 months 50% off? Is 100mbps overkill for streaming netflix or downloading? Are you guys big time gamers? :D I have 25mbps right now and it is decent. I am tempted when I move down to Irvine to increase it.

Chairman said:
Are you getting 50mbps over wifi using the ISP speed tests?
Using both Cox's SpeedTest and www.speedtest.com by Ookla.

Right now, my kids are streaming Netflix and so the speed dropped to about 40Mb (not sure if that's related... but I'll see if there is a correlation when they are off the Netflix).

irvinehomeowner said:
Chairman said:

Right now, my kids are streaming Netflix and so the speed dropped to about 40Mb (not sure if that's related... but I'll see if there is a correlation when they are off the Netflix).

Yeah, the test will run slower if someone is using it while you run it. High speed internet in the US just isn't on par with other countries. The lack of competitive firms and resistance to technology has left us with over priced and slower speeds. :(

zerolot - what phone are you using? i have cox premier premier (50mb), and on my laptop just got 63 and on my iphone 5s i got 36.

Chairman said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Chairman said:

Yeah, the test will run slower if someone is using it while you run it. High speed internet in the US just isn't on par with other countries. The lack of competitive firmsexistance of Government sold monopolies and resistance to technology has left us with over priced and slower speeds. :(

Fix that for you.

qwerty said:
zerolot - what phone are you using? i have cox premier premier (50mb), and on my laptop just got 63 and on my iphone 5s i got 36.

I'm using a Galaxy S3.  But the reason for my high numbers is my Nighthawk.  If I was using my Costco Belkin router I would not be getting those results.

Even the Cox technician were impressed at the my speed test results.  That's why he took the time to help us set up our router because he saw it was Nighthawk and he wanted to see its capabilities.  I've NEVER had a Cox technician help me install a router before ... until I got a Nighthawk.

ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:

I'm using a Galaxy S3.  But the reason for my high numbers is my Nighthawk.  If I was using my Costco Belkin router I would not be getting those results.

Even the Cox technician were impressed at the my speed test results.  That's why he took the time to help us set up our router because he saw it was Nighthawk and he wanted to see its capabilities.  I've NEVER had a Cox technician help me install a router before ... until I got a Nighthawk.

damn, makes me want to go pick up a nighthawk. although i wonder if im just surfing the net whether i will be able to tell the difference. even when im in the downstairs bedroom, which is where my speed is the slowest (low teens mbs) the webpage downloads pretty fast as it is.

irvinehomeowner said:
I feel like a caveman compared to ZeroLot's bandwidth.

Get a Nighthawk and it will change your world.  ;D

Chairman said:
For 100 bucks? 3 months 50% off? Is 100mbps overkill for streaming netflix or downloading? Are you guys big time gamers? :D I have 25mbps right now and it is decent. I am tempted when I move down to Irvine to increase it.

I signed up for the Gold Bundle.  I'm locked in for 2 years with a free Contour cable box. 

We have 4+ wireless devices needing internet
We have 6+ LAN devices needing internet

All this before any guests arriving at our place that also will request wireless access.

I NEED the 100 mpbs.  I currently have the 50 mpbs at my condo and we are all fighting for bandwidth and things get laggy when someone is streaming Netflix.  And that is streaming for only ONE TV.  At the new place we'll have 3 TVs needing streaming capabilities.

I would not have signed up for the Gold Bundle but I'm porting my home phone back to a land line.  It's a safety per-caution for my kids and the babysitter.

Also having ESPN again keeps Mr. Z at home and not running off to a friend's house or Chili's to watch a game.  >:D

qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:

damn, makes me want to go pick up a nighthawk. although i wonder if im just surfing the net whether i will be able to tell the difference. even when im in the downstairs bedroom, which is where my speed is the slowest (low teens mbs) the webpage downloads pretty fast as it is.

You'd be surprised how quickly a webpage can really load up.  I don't even bother with the WIFI signal with my Belkin router because my Verizon 4G loads faster.

But now with a Nighthawk router I no longer use my Verizon 4G on my Galaxy S3.  Whatever technology is in my Nighthawk is so worth the investment.  I can't wait to return my Belkin router back to Costco.  That will help pay for the majority of my Nighthawk.

By the way, if anyone wants the same special deal I got from Cox with the Gold Bundle, just PM me and I will give you my contact from Cox.

I spoke to 3 different reps and only one rep was able to get me this NICE package AND set it up correctly for a new construction home.  I have her name and extension number if you are interested.

I'm surprised at the features my "baby Nighthawk" has. I like the fact that it has 2 USB ports (1 3.0 and 1 2.0). If I didn't already have a wireless printer, the ability to connect a USB printer to it to make it "wireless" is great.

I also like that you can use a phone app to manage your router (smartrouter!).

I remember way back that Netgear used to be the value brand but it looks like they have come a long way.

Back