Costco's Kirkland Beer and other surprise beers I find...

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Hey... I think I saw you there today but you were going the other way and I didn't feel like yelling "PS9!!!" like traceimage. :)

This kind of brings up a topic in my mind.

If you guys are spotted in public by a TI friend, do you prefer to be addressed by your screen name, your real name - if known, or not approached.

I need to know if I'm supposed to shout: "EYE-HO-O-O!!" or your real name. I can not yell: "Irvine homeowner!" because all heads will turn.

Oddly, I've realized I respond just as easily to "SoCal" as I do my real name if not more.  :-\ Nobody uses my real name on a regular basis. My screen name is used much more frequently. How bizarre is that.

I didn't actually call you Socal, did I? OMG, how lame. What a dork.

And I didn't actually run up to you yelling, right? I was exaggerating on my other post...I hope. I like to think I actually came up to you politely and said your name...but I'm worried I may actually have jumped out from behind a Christmas tree, screaming and scaring your poor family.

LOL! I thought I heard both used. Don't worry, it's not dorky. It helps me identify how I know you without feeling like I'm having trouble placing you. Plus, you're not the first to have used it in person.

I remember when I met Momopi in person at an IHB meetup a long time ago, I couldn't make myself stop calling him, "Momo." He said it's ok because that's actually his real-life nickname anyway. Lucky! Also, I once gave Irvine Realtor an envelope addressed to the aforementioned. Oops!

With others, I still have a very difficult time thinking of them as being called anything but their screen name. Homer will always be Homer to me. Same for Qwerty. Same for IHO, etc. Even if I knew them in person, I'm sure.

SoCal said:
LOL! I thought I heard both used. Don't worry, it's not dorky. It helps me identify how I know you without feeling like I'm having trouble placing you. Plus, you're not the first to have used it in person.

Ok, good! I probably also introduced myself as "traceimage." People nearby must have thought we were looney tunes.

I actually call IHO, "IHO" when we play bball... but that hasn't happened for a while....

Still on baby watch... last week  ;)

Occasionally I'll have a forum-member ask to see a property and I'll get the question from the listing agent:
"What can you tell me about your client?"
--awkward pause--
"Um, well, his username is 'turbogeek2000' (for example), he loves iPad products, and apparently fast cars."
IrvineRealtor

Thumbs up on the German lager, drinkable, and a nice clean finish.  Would go well with Thai or spicy Chinese food.

I'm not into beer at all -- but for those who may take interest, Ralph's has this thing where you visit a refrigerated end-cap, grab a 6-pack carton positioned next to it, and fill it with any six / mix & match out of a wide selection of imported beers. I just did this on my last grocery trip to surprise Mr. SoCal. It seems like it could make a nice gift idea if you're visiting a friend for Christmas. I believe it was just under $10.

074DF95F-AC88-4925-9136-60FC93C59CE9-31308-00001B295331691D_zpsc21ad28d.jpg

At the district Costco, $7.49 a btl, the stout looks interesting, for the beer lovers.

F726BF3C-A8FB-4A4D-A5DA-264F6BC7E602-18115-000012265DEA0CE3_zpsdafa3321.jpg

Got it at Ranch 99 for $2 a bottle, expensive but a tasty dark beer...BBQ or smoked foods, even spicy should work well.  Might be cheaper elsewhere if you shop around.  First had this years ago at Matsuhisa on La Cienaga for my wife's (still girlfriend then) birthday.  Paid like $6-8 a bottle. 

I know this is a beer thread but I hope you won't mind if I share this bourbon news.

Did you know Maker's Mark is about to lower its proof / dilute the bourbon to meet supply?

I'm not a business expert, but imho, cheapening the brand is never a good idea. Exclusivity is desirable. They could raise prices or keep the price point the same and slightly shrink the packaging instead.

Thoughts??
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lcohol-bourbon-meet-demand.html#axzz2KcFDzysC

Btw, there are too many other good brands available for consumers to tolerate this. I always keep bourbon or a whiskey handy but have never purchased Maker's Mark and now, likely would not consider it.

I may eat (drink!) my words. I just remembered Jack Daniels followed the same path when they cut their proof some years ago. I ran to check my bottle. Sure enough, it's 80 proof. Oof.

Update: Maker's Mark has reversed their decision to cut the proof after an angry backlash by "thousands and thousands of people". It will be restored to 90 proof.

Whoa, lots of craft beers at the District Costco.. saw a bunch of different IPAs (single 22 oz bottle around $4-5).. saw Arrogant Bastard for $3 for a 22oz.  They have hangar 24 wheat beer a case of 24 for around $24.  And a case of Moose Drool from Montana.. good times. 

But skip this...

1071EC91-2B93-4592-BBCE-328340C9DBCD-17561-00000BE1341E3F72_zps4799e1ce.jpg

Never had a good barley wine.. the alcohol content is too high to drink as a beer.

269814F8-BABE-4FC9-8227-52CE535CC64F-8041-00000571C6C03261_zpsbfc29fb8.jpg

A double IPA that's drinkable.... At the District Costco (plenty of new beer selections, thank you Costco beer guy). 

FC27D5A6-CCB1-4E20-A062-782AF563CC87-8057-00000572CE39C89F_zpscf062854.jpg

If you love IPAs....  this is heaven...

I do like the Asahi Black, but the Kostritzer Schwarzbier (ya ya German ya ya) will always have a special place in my heart, because it is THE beer that turned me onto beers in general.  I was never a beer person before this, then I had this in Germany while on a business trip, and I was forever changed.  Must have been a combination of the jet lag and great food, but I still remember that beer tasted like dark chocolate and malt, unlike any other beers I've tasted before.  Lucky for us, it's readily available pretty much everywhere:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=4573

and a little review:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/648/1774

Glass_of_K%C3%B6stritzer_Schwarzbier.jpg

Brewery was founded in 1543, so yea, they know what they're doing.

Back