Costco

irvinehomeshopper said:
beware Costco shoppers! The irvine spectrum Costco prices are at least a dollar more for most items. I found some items are even priced higher.

I noticed that about the District.  A case of Arrowhead water was $4.49 there and $4.35 at the one in Huntington Beach.  I don't care about paying more for gas to get there because gas is $3.30 vs $3.39; not to mention the lines are much shorter and people aren't as rude and pushy.  I can walk across the parking lot without getting run over and big SUVs don't stop in the middle of the road and refuse of move until they find a parking spot closer to the entrance.

Same with Target regarding prices and rude drivers.  I found regularly priced items at the Target in Westminster were cheaper than when it was "on sale" at the Target at the Irvine Spectrum.

Tyler Durden said:
Me said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
beware Costco shoppers! The irvine spectrum Costco prices are at least a dollar more for most items. I found some items are even priced higher.

I noticed that about the District.  A case of Arrowhead water was $4.49 there and $4.35 at the one in Huntington Beach.  I don't care about paying more for gas to get there because gas is $3.30 vs $3.39; not to mention the lines are much shorter and people aren't as rude and pushy.  I can walk across the parking lot without getting run over and big SUVs don't stop in the middle of the road and refuse of move until they find a parking spot closer to the entrance.

Same with Target regarding prices and rude drivers.  I found regularly priced items at the Target in Westminster were cheaper than when it was "on sale" at the Target at the Irvine Spectrum.

when people try to be pushy in front of me, i just truck them.  Since most of the time, these pushy and rude folks are less than 6' and less than 200 lbs, they get the hint when you shoulder check them when they are trying to buzz by you.

i "accidentally" walk into them some times too, if they are just standing in the middle of the aisle and clogging up traffic.

LOL I do the same thing "shoulder check them", unless it's IHO because he would knock me back toward the pharmacy dept. 

I shop at the Garden Grove Costco for the exact same items there was a 10% difference in the receipt total and likewise for gas prices. The overhead in rent has a lot to do with retail price.

Nothing moves the Blob!

hqdefault.jpg

Here is a photo I took at Costco Irvine.  To the left of the line of carts is the food purchasing area and to the right are the check out lines.  Do you see how people created a nice barricade blocking entry into the food area?  I am always amazed at how unaware some people become in crowded spaces.  Then again, I am a bit of an extremist when it comes to trying to be aware of others.

Attachments

• photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 350
Tyler Durden said:
what i do is push their carts away - they tend to get super excited when someone moves their carts... some will even come up to you - which is the perfect opportunity to give them a piece of your mind.

Would only do this if IHO's next to me.  He's my muscle fluff!

Avoid getting gas at the District Costco, some kind of renovation going on, each lane only has one pump working, can't even get into the area because it's backing up onto Park Avenue.  I estimate a good 15 minute wait or longer if you have the patience.

Avoid the Irvine Spectrum Costco gas station for the next few weeks since there's only one pump per line is working.  They are in the process of remodeling, expansion of new fueling positions and a diesel options. 

The line is unusually long this morning and it would be even worst during the peak hours.  However, the diesel option will be a welcome news for those diesel fans when the expansion is all done. 

lnc said:
Avoid the Irvine Spectrum Costco gas station for the next few weeks since there's only one pump per line is working.  They are in the process of remodeling, expansion of new fueling positions and a diesel options. 

The line is unusually long this morning and it would be even worst during the peak hours.  However, the diesel option will be a welcome news for those diesel fans when the expansion is all done.

If you have (or know someone with) ralph's rewards, the Shell on Technology ends up cheaper than Costco.

paperboyNC said:
If you have (or know someone with) ralph's rewards, the Shell on Technology ends up cheaper than Costco.

Yup, that's what I've been saying all along. And if you buy gift cards at Ralph's (the one I shop at has a wide selection), there are times such as around Christmas when they will do double fuel points, making it a good deal cheaper than Costco.

Just came back from a trip up to WA state and back.  Put in gas at Costcos in Oregon and WA.  In Oregon, most of the places, you cannot put in the gas yourself, including at Costco.  They have only about two attendants for every 8 pumps or so.  Therefore, it can take a while until they fill your car.  I thought about all the impatient people in Irvine and how this system would not work there.  :p  And, they block the middle area so you have to wait until both cars are done for the next two cars to be able to drive up to the pumps.  It's nice that someone else pumps the gas but not for that delay.  At one place, it was almost deserted but someone decided to bring a few gas cans so the attendant had to fill each one manually and was chatting while I just had to wait.  I was surprised that even with this extra overhead, the gas prices were about 2.59 and 2.77ish in Oregon.

how much you tipped?

irvinehusky said:
Just came back from a trip up to WA state and back.  Put in gas at Costcos in Oregon and WA.  In Oregon, most of the places, you cannot put in the gas yourself, including at Costco.  They have only about two attendants for every 8 pumps or so.  Therefore, it can take a while until they fill your car.  I thought about all the impatient people in Irvine and how this system would not work there.  :p  And, they block the middle area so you have to wait until both cars are done for the next two cars to be able to drive up to the pumps.  It's nice that someone else pumps the gas but not for that delay.  At one place, it was almost deserted but someone decided to bring a few gas cans so the attendant had to fill each one manually and was chatting while I just had to wait.  I was surprised that even with this extra overhead, the gas prices were about 2.59 and 2.77ish in Oregon.

I didn't look at everyone but I didn't see anyone tipping so I didn't either.  I'm sure there are people that do but it seems most do not.

The California Court Company said:
how much you tipped?

irvinehusky said:
I didn't look at everyone but I didn't see anyone tipping so I didn't either.  I'm sure there are people that do but it seems most do not.

The California Court Company said:
how much you tipped?

My sister lives in Oregon.. they don't tip.  Not something people do up there when they get their gas pumped. 

When I was up there about three years ago, I did see someone tipping the attendant at Costco.  That's why I wanted to bypass gassing in Oregon this time but the cheap prices was too much to pass up and I would have run out of gas.  I noticed noone tipping this time so I didn't feel guilty not tipping.  :p  If I was living anywhere where they force you to use attendants, I wouldn't tip for it either.

jmoney74 said:
My sister lives in Oregon.. they don't tip.  Not something people do up there when they get their gas pumped.

Lived in NJ for about 30 years, where it's been full service gas stations as far as I can remember, never tipped the attendants.  Even better bonus - much cheaper gas than CA!  :)

I do feel bad for them during the winter when it's really cold and they still have to work outside.

I don't know why I continue to shop at Costco.  Lately I wonder why I shop there anymore.

Prices used to be better.  Now, most things I buy are cheaper elsewhere.

I get better pricing at the Vons/Albertsons/Ralphs for a lot of the grocery items.  I went to Costco a few months ago at the District, and then to Target at the District.  There was a lot of the same toys.  Target was about 20% cheaper than Costco.  Amazon was cheaper than Costco for diapers when my kids were babies.  The Acura car dealership was a lot cheaper for tires than Costco the last time I needed my tires replaced.

There are things I still do get at Costco, but I do question if it's worth the hassle.  Parking is more difficult at Costco.  Navigating through the store is more difficult than other stores.  Forget gas.  The lines for gas at Costco are usually too long to save $1.  My last few experiences buying gas at Costco, I noticed it was cheaper at the Shell station. 

I realize it's not all about price, but I wonder if the shopping experience is worth whatever extra value I get from Costco.  There are still deals to be had at Costco, but I question how much value I get out of my membership.  I'll drop my executive membership this year for sure.  I might drop it altogether when they get rid of the Amex cards.

Back