Cost of Moving

Gohabsgo_IHB

For those of you who recently moved, how much was it?

I guess it depends of what you do vs what you hired people, but I'd like to have an estimate based on your experience.

I have a 2+2 and don't want to get too involved...but I might if it's expensive!

Thanks!

[quote author="Roo" date=1225950972]For those of you who recently moved, how much was it?

I guess it depends of what you do vs what you hired people, but I'd like to have an estimate based on your experience.

I have a 2+2 and don't want to get too involved...but I might if it's expensive!

Thanks!</blockquote>

I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.

For a 2+2, I assume 1200sf or so, I'd think a 3-man crew for 3-4 hours would do the trick. We had four guys for four hours or so on my packed 3/2 with overflowing garage. The moving labor would run $250-300 and if the move distance was short, the Uhaul would probably be $50 all-in I'd think.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1225951741][quote author="Roo" date=1225950972]For those of you who recently moved, how much was it?

Thanks!</blockquote>

I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.

For a 2+2, I assume 1200sf or so, I'd think a 3-man crew for 3-4 hours would do the trick. We had four guys for four hours or so on my packed 3/2 with overflowing garage. The moving labor would run $250-300 and if the move distance was short, the Uhaul would probably be $50 all-in I'd think.</blockquote>

$400, it's a done deal...all I have to do is pack and they take care of it!

Oh yes, I'll need to unpack!

IPO that is a fantastic deal! I assume you guys had boxed up all the dishes, clothing, decorative items yourselves?

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1225952448]IPO that is a fantastic deal! I assume you guys had boxed up all the dishes, clothing, decorative items yourselves?</blockquote>

Oh yes, we packed everything pretty much. They load and unload, not pack... They do blanket and strap the furniture pieces and come with dollies and such to make the move more efficient. We had a big heavy armoire in our master bedroom on the 2nd floor that I was not keen on moving personally since the stairs were relatively narrow. The mover dudes took care of it nicely.

[quote author="xsocal land merchant" date=1225952463]Lots and lots of good moving boxes help.</blockquote>

Indeed, and they are a costly part of a move if you have to buy them all new. We accumulated moving boxes for quite some time, hitting up all our friends that were buying houses during the bubble's peak, for their boxes once they were done unpacking. I have a huge pile of them sitting in a storage unit for when we finally buy a place and move again...

I hired a professional moving company recently to move from 4 br house (2200 sq ft) with large back yard. They packed, padded, and plastic wrapped everything. No damage to my stuff or my house. They also made a second trip to move a truck full of plants, a bbq, and a kid's play structure. They did an excellent job, I thought the $1,300 was well spent compared to cheapers movers I have used in the past.

Check out the Free Stuff section of Craigslist and search for "Boxes."

You'll find people getting rid of their old moving boxes - good quality too!

BevMo gives away their liquor boxes.

Pavilions and Albertsons have great apple boxes

Stay away from the banana boxes - they attract ants (learned that the hard way).

Starbucks gives away great boxes as well.

I hired good luck moving to help me move a one bed/bath plus my dj equipment/ records. The $350 spent was well worth it...

I'll be calling them in Feb

[quote author="Roo" date=1225950972]For those of you who recently moved, how much was it?

Thanks!</blockquote>
Let's see...when I moved from my condo to my apartment in late Sept. it was a 2 day Uhaual rental, my dad, 2 mexican guys from home depot in santa ana, drinks, beer, and pizza...all in about $200.

I have moved several times, and we always hire a professional moving company to move the boxes and furniture. We do all the packing ourselves. It usually costs $500-$800.

This is beside the point, but if you're a non-smoker, I would recommend requesting your movers are too. The last ones I hired were smoking on breaks and while moving my things. All of the upholstered furniture smelled for a couple weeks afterward despite trying to get rid of it.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1225953850]I hired a professional moving company recently to move from 4 br house (2200 sq ft) with large back yard. They packed, padded, and plastic wrapped everything. No damage to my stuff or my house. They also made a second trip to move a truck full of plants, a bbq, and a kid's play structure. They did an excellent job, I thought the $1,300 was well spent compared to cheapers movers I have used in the past.</blockquote>

Can you tell me the name of the moving company? We are moving soon. Thanks!

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1225960457][quote author="High Gravity" date=1225953850]I hired a professional moving company recently to move from 4 br house (2200 sq ft) with large back yard. They packed, padded, and plastic wrapped everything. No damage to my stuff or my house. They also made a second trip to move a truck full of plants, a bbq, and a kid's play structure. They did an excellent job, I thought the $1,300 was well spent compared to cheapers movers I have used in the past.</blockquote>

Can you tell me the name of the moving company? We are moving soon. Thanks!</blockquote>

Lucky Moving Inc.

17031 Green Drive

City of Industry, 91745

800-743-6656

The foreman of the crew that moved me was Julio. I highly recommend Julio.

I've never hired professional movers and I've moved 3 times.

I've moved everything myself with the help of a few friends/relatives, pick-up trucks, mini-vans and a UHaul.

But then again... I didn't have furniture back then. The next time around I'll probably have to call IPO's referral... too much stuff and the back/knees aren't as young as they used to be.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1225951741]I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.</blockquote>

It wasn't enough for you to just abuse IR2 to deal with selling your house and the sodding, but you made him move your stuff through his side business. That guy can really take some serious abuse. I just hope he didn't blow all his commission check on crack brownies.

I assume you are moving local. We moved in 2006 from the Denver area to Houston. Our 2450 sq ft home in the mountains required a small shuttle truck to move our things to the semi a half mile away because the big truck could not make it up the 550 ft drive way. Cost was $7300 including all packing, loading, boxes/materials and full setup on the other end. I think it was ~1200 mile move.

Back