Cost of Moving

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1225977926]I assume you are moving local. We moved in 2006 from the Denver area to Houston. Our 2450 sq ft home in the mountains required a small shuttle truck to move our things to the semi a half mile away because the big truck could not make it up the 550 ft drive way. Cost was $7300 including all packing, loading, boxes/materials and full setup on the other end. I think it was ~1200 mile move.</blockquote>

For medium and long-range moves, if you are looking to control costs, I'd recommend <strong><a href="http://www.upack.com/lp/abfupackmoving.asp?r=b0150&r=b0250&refnum=googleabf&cid=G/BRAND/US&grp=abf&mtc=exact&ad=2791513696&kw=abf&gclid=CPmClOrm4JYCFRNOagodtDigOQ">ABF freight</a></strong>. They drop off a trailer at your home and you have 3 days to load it yourself, and only pay for the linear space that you use.

You load it, but the costs are dramatically lowered.

Their quote for a 4-bedroom home from Houston to Irvine, all-inclusive (driver, gas, storage, taxes and insurance) is $2178.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

-IR2

In case anyone is looking for free moving supplies, I was just browsing the IAC classifieds and noticed several people giving away their supplies for free (including things like wardrobe boxes which are nice.)

<a href="http://myrental-living.com/Classifieds/Search/">Search Here</a>

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1226012931][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1225977926]I assume you are moving local. We moved in 2006 from the Denver area to Houston. Our 2450 sq ft home in the mountains required a small shuttle truck to move our things to the semi a half mile away because the big truck could not make it up the 550 ft drive way. Cost was $7300 including all packing, loading, boxes/materials and full setup on the other end. I think it was ~1200 mile move.</blockquote>

For medium and long-range moves, if you are looking to control costs, I'd recommend <strong><a href="http://www.upack.com/lp/abfupackmoving.asp?r=b0150&r=b0250&refnum=googleabf&cid=G/BRAND/US&grp=abf&mtc=exact&ad=2791513696&kw=abf&gclid=CPmClOrm4JYCFRNOagodtDigOQ">ABF freight</a></strong>. They drop off a trailer at your home and you have 3 days to load it yourself, and only pay for the linear space that you use.

You load it, but the costs are dramatically lowered.

Their quote for a 4-bedroom home from Houston to Irvine, all-inclusive (driver, gas, storage, taxes and insurance) is $2178.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

-IR2</blockquote>

Thanks IR2,

Wow! $2178 price is super cheap. Are prices similar for a move from Chicago to Irvine? I am assuming that this price does not include moving two cars? :

I've been thinking a lot on how to make this move happen from Chicago to Irvine. Thinking through every scenario, I've decided that the best scenario would be to try to sell my current home next year and lease an apartment in Irvine. Have any of you relocated to Irvine from out-of-state? Have any of you sold a 2500 square feet house in a different state (i.e. midwest, south, or east coast) and decided to rent a 1000 square feet 2/2 apartment in Irvine and put everything in storage? I would appreciate any advice as to which moving company you used and which storage place you decided to go with to put all your furniture in. Pros/Cons. Sort of trying to map out my plan for 2009. Thanks.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1226217930]Sell your furniture. Pack your toothbrush.</blockquote>

LOL!..No kidding.??

It is probably much cheaper for me to sell all my furniture in Chicago and just take a plane trip to John Wayne Airport with my wife and buy all new furniture on Craigslist.

Panda

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1225951741]I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.

For a 2+2, I assume 1200sf or so, I'd think a 3-man crew for 3-4 hours would do the trick. We had four guys for four hours or so on my packed 3/2 with overflowing garage. The moving labor would run $250-300 and if the move distance was short, the Uhaul would probably be $50 all-in I'd think.</blockquote>

thanks ipo - i used joel's yesterday to move my furniture and they did a great job.

[quote author="anela" date=1235604246][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1225951741]I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.

For a 2+2, I assume 1200sf or so, I'd think a 3-man crew for 3-4 hours would do the trick. We had four guys for four hours or so on my packed 3/2 with overflowing garage. The moving labor would run $250-300 and if the move distance was short, the Uhaul would probably be $50 all-in I'd think.</blockquote>

thanks ipo - i used joel's yesterday to move my furniture and they did a great job.</blockquote>
I used them too and they were ontime and efficient.

Before this last move, I was so spoiled because we hardly had any furniture so we could do it all ourselves with various friends/relatives and a small U-Haul. This time around, not only did I have to hire movers, I got the biggest U-Haul and it still wasn't enough. My move took 7 days... and it was local... ugh.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1235606302][quote author="anela" date=1235604246][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1225951741]I rented a 24' Uhaul and <a href="http://joelsmovinglabor.com/">hired a moving labor crew</a>. The guys we used were awesome.

thanks ipo - i used joel's yesterday to move my furniture and they did a great job.</blockquote>
I used them too and they were ontime and efficient.

Before this last move, I was so spoiled because we hardly had any furniture so we could do it all ourselves with various friends/relatives and a small U-Haul. This time around, not only did I have to hire movers, I got the biggest U-Haul and it still wasn't enough. My move took 7 days... and it was local... ugh.</blockquote>

Our last move was about 550-600, but that was just a small moving van and it took 2 because it was just me. Mrs. Ninja is a small lady and carried only the smaller items. Yea... it was THAT fun for me.

-bix

We are moving to an IAC rental this weekend and get to pack and move, twice. We are putting our house in Houston on the market in the next couple of weeks and Mayflower is doing that move next weekend. That will run $5-6k. We also have an apartment in Fullerton that we are vacating this weekend and that move should cost $73 + ~45 miles worth of diesel for the Ryder truck I am renting.

[quote author="Kali" date=1247304611]The link does not work,http://www.joelsmovinglabor.com/

Is there a contact #?</blockquote>

Use Google's cache. Just search for "joelsmovinglabor.com", and then click "Cached" for the first result. It looks like their phone is (714) 392 5209.

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1235621068]We are moving to an IAC rental this weekend and get to pack and move, twice. We are putting our house in Houston on the market in the next couple of weeks and Mayflower is doing that move next weekend. That will run $5-6k. We also have an apartment in Fullerton that we are vacating this weekend and that move should cost $73 + ~45 miles worth of diesel for the Ryder truck I am renting.</blockquote>

You'll have a sh!tload of furniture if you move from a house & apartment into an AIC rental!

Even though their website is down, JML is still active (I think they have a facebook page... I don't do facebook because of Witness Protection Program issues). I just called them to inquire about prices.

I may have to use them again real soon in case my FCB connection doesn't pan out.

Hi, I own Joels Moving Labor, Inc., and I was happy to hear we were mentioned. We have been so busy this year. Alot of people moving to cheaper apartments and/or houses and yes alot of people leaving the state too. We have moving labor teams available every day, even last minute jobs. There are alot of bad companies out there, and at the same times reputable ones, it just depends. I try to send my customers to the company that best suits their needs. Local moves, and loading/or unloading a truck I believe a good moving labor company is the least expensive, any questions my name is Monica, 714 392-5209.

Back