coronavirus

I didn?t say no one would know someone, I proffered few would...and those in healthcare will. Ask outside that profession. Again, sticking to the warlike numbers lets compare the "injured" to the "infected".  In WWII the total injured around 700,000. That number is spread over a 5 year period.  Total official "infected" in the US is around 19,500,000 with approximately 8,600,000 recovered in just 9 months.  Shouldn't we all know (first hand) multiple people who have had and have this?  (I know 40+ but people here  think that odd)

You're dancing again... you said more people would know someone who died in the war than someone who died with Covid.

I don't think that's the case but you keep wearing those blinders.

And I think everyone here knows someone who had or has Covid... less so with war injuries.

irvinehomeowner said:
You're dancing again... you said more people would know someone who died in the war than someone who died with Covid.

And I think everyone here knows someone who had or has Covid... less so with war injuries.

No, I posed that with that many dead many of us should all know someone (first hand) who has died. (excluding healthcare workers).  The comparison to WWII would parallel as a sample. Both numbers (dead and infected) are telling.  Remember, these have to be first hand, not some guy at works sisters babysitter, someone you know, personally.  I tell you few really do.  Again, I am not saying the Vid is fake but the numbers just don't seem to match up. I find it curious.

HMart said:
I don't personally know anybody who died from COVID, but it's not hard to have compassion for your fellow human being even if you don't know them. Try it.

I like the backhanded, nuanced shaming but I am not arguing compassion or empathy.  This is purely about the numbers.  Empathy does not mean we should just accept everything told to us as reality because the person telling it to you looks concerned.  Critical thinking is more important. Try it.

morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:

No, I posed that with that many dead many of us should all know someone (first hand) who has died. (excluding healthcare workers).  The comparison to WWII would parallel as a sample. Both numbers (dead and infected) are telling.  Remember, these have to be first hand, not some guy at works sisters babysitter, someone you know, personally.  I tell you few really do.  Again, I am not saying the Vid is fake but the numbers just don't seem to match up. I find it curious.

What is this guy talking about? In order for him to believe covid is deadly. He needs to know someone that died from covid.

I am trying to understand your logic. Sorry your conspiracy theories are not working. Please try harder.

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What is this guy talking about? In order for him to believe covid is deadly. He needs to know someone that died from covid.

I am trying to understand your logic. Sorry your conspiracy theories are not working. Please try harder.

Again, you shoot wide.  I am not saying it is not deadly.  There is little doubt it has killed.  I am simply debating the veracity of those numbers.  It looks odd. Eye, do you know anyone?

I am a latino that grew up in a very low socio-economic community (Santa Ana) that has bore a heavy brunt of the covid cases in OC. I know both people who have lost family members to covid (my friend from high school lost her dad to covid), and I also have relatives that currently have covid, including my grandma, my aunt, two of my uncles, and two of my first cousins. This isn't even taking into account the numerous friends I have that also grew up in Santa Ana that have posted gofundme links on facebook from families in Santa Ana that have lost loved ones to covid and have to take to gofundme to raise funds for funerals etc.

morekaos said:
I didn?t say no one would know someone, I proffered few would...and those in healthcare will. Ask outside that profession. Again, sticking to the warlike numbers lets compare the "injured" to the "infected".  In WWII the total injured around 700,000. That number is spread over a 5 year period.  Total official "infected" in the US is around 19,500,000 with approximately 8,600,000 recovered in just 9 months.  Shouldn't we all know (first hand) multiple people who have had and have this?  (I know 40+ but people here  think that odd)

Perhaps you should plainly state your point.  From the few posts I have seen from you, it appears you are implying that COVID is not that bad or the effects from COVID are inflated.  If so, this discussion would be better served by you writing that in a clear and concise way with reasons or facts to support your statement, rather than dancing around with irrelevant analogies.  just my humble opinion.

morekaos said:
eyephone said:
morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Again, you shoot wide.  I am not saying it is not deadly.  There is little doubt it has killed.  I am simply debating the veracity of those numbers.  It looks odd. Eye, do you know anyone?

I will not say whether I know someone who died of covid or not. Because it is irrelevant.
Maybe the people who I know wear masks and social distance.

Morekas is trying to say if you dont know someone that died than the numbers are fake. Why would people lie? (Democrats, Republicans, and Independents regarding their family members dying of covid)
Covid does not care about your party affiliation.

Your fake conspiracy theories are far fetch.
I can remember when people respected this guy for his financial knowledge. I think he may have hit a wall or fall off a cliff with his fake conspiracy theories.

When my uncle had it, the blowback he got for sharing that he had it was very pronounced from the circuit of friends that is opposed to closures etc.

JIMHO, the friends aunt misdirection is exactly that, misdirection. A lot of the WWII deaths people know of are my kid's friend from high school's older brother. WW2 is also a bad example since 25% of the male population 18-49 served and frankly 50%+ of turning 18 year olds were marched off to war.    Basically, high school senior boys in 1942 were equivalent to nurses today for likelihood of knowing someone.  Factor in population 1/3rd the size and larger families, and ability to not know is very small.  The war also was four years long and we are only 9 months into a pandemic.

I also think there is concern factor in sharing.  How many people do you know that had the clap?  HIV?  etc.  I think people are a bit afraid of being shunned after they've had it if people know they've had it.

Condolences to Eddieuclabruin, I suspect his experience is far more common than we acknowledge.

morekaos said:

No, I posed that with that many dead many of us should all know someone (first hand) who has died. (excluding healthcare workers). 

It's 1 in 1000.  Do you really know that many people, "first hand"?  I don't.  Not even close.  I do have a friend I've known for 20 years--someone in my small happy hour group--who got sick.  She was in the hospital a few times for a number of days, missed >12 weeks of work and suffered immensely.  I imagine a marginal difference in her condition could have resulted in a worse outcome. 

The numbers add up just fine.  There's no conspiracy here. 

daedalus said:
morekaos said:

No, I posed that with that many dead many of us should all know someone (first hand) who has died. (excluding healthcare workers). 

It's 1 in 1000.  Do you really know that many people, "first hand"?  I don't.  Not even close.  I do have a friend I've known for 20 years--someone in my small happy hour group--who got sick.  She was in the hospital a few times for a number of days, missed >12 weeks of work and suffered immensely.  I imagine a marginal difference in her condition could have resulted in a worse outcome. 

Yes, when I mean first hand I mean I know their name address and phone numbers. I don?t see shame in having it already. Most I know are almost proud of having survived. 40+ and not one hospitalization and no deaths. That number is national, at least 6 states.  I still find it curious.

morekaos said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

Yes, when I mean first hand I mean I know their name address and phone numbers. I don?t see shame in having it already. Most I know are almost proud of having survived. 40+ and not one hospitalization and no deaths. That number is national, at least 6 states.  I still find it curious.

Depends on the testing factor.  If they're tested from having symptoms, I'd find 40 with no hospitalizations rare, but not necessarily problematic.  it's really depends on the distribution of the people being tested, if they're predominantly under 60 and typical health issues, no hospitalizations out of 40 wouldn't be uncommon.

If they're part of a screening process from employment getting screen with no symptoms, then no hospitalizations is probably expected.

nosuchreality said:
morekaos said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

Depends on the testing factor.  If they're tested from having symptoms, I'd find 40 with no hospitalizations rare, but not necessarily problematic.  it's really depends on the distribution of the people being tested, if they're predominantly under 60 and typical health issues, no hospitalizations out of 40 wouldn't be uncommon.

If they're part of a screening process from employment getting screen with no symptoms, then no hospitalizations is probably expected.

That sample runs the gamut from a 82 year old Cardiac Surgeon in Boston to a good friend of mine who has about a million co-morbidities with obesity, cancer and high blood pressure to several 18-21 year old kids here and in Arizona and Texas.  And every kind in between. They all made it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ok... so just because people who morekaos "know" all "made it"... Covid is no big deal... despite the full ICUs (which morekaos avoids addressing).

Got it.

Never said that, never said the ICU's aren't full (although I spoke with a doctor at CHOC today and he said they are under control).  Ask your friends, I think they will say similar things. Come to your own conclusions. What I do point out is people are experiencing this thing differently.  LA hospitals may not be the norm but why is it so bad when we are the most stringent and strict about compliance face masks and lockdowns?  I am not making any grand conspiracy theories, just pointing out inconsistencies.  I find them interesting.

..and by the way the rest of the world is just as bad as us...we are just more forthcoming with numbers...

Nearly half a million people may have had Covid-19 in Wuhan, study shows. That's almost 10 times the official figure

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/asia/china-coronavirus-seroprevalence-study-intl-hnk/index.html

Russia admits its Covid death toll is the world's third worst at 186,000 - THREE times higher than it claimed... with more deaths per capita than either the UK or US
State statistics agency Rosstat released the new figures on Monday
They show 186,057 people died between January and November, up from the 55,265 previously reported from health authorities
The difference is thought to come from different methods of counting deaths

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9095059/Russia-admits-Covid-death-toll-worlds-highest-186-000-THREE-times-higher-claimed.html

and even these admissions are not truthfull...it was much worse and we will probably never know the true number...We are the world.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems you like the resistance for some apparent reason.
I mean do you wear a seat belt? Do you not smoke in restaurants? These are laws that were passed to protect people. Same thing with the covid related rules.

morekaos said:
..and by the way the rest of the world is just as bad as us...we are just more forthcoming with numbers...

Nearly half a million people may have had Covid-19 in Wuhan, study shows. That's almost 10 times the official figure

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/asia/china-coronavirus-seroprevalence-study-intl-hnk/index.html

Russia admits its Covid death toll is the world's third worst at 186,000 - THREE times higher than it claimed... with more deaths per capita than either the UK or US
State statistics agency Rosstat released the new figures on Monday
They show 186,057 people died between January and November, up from the 55,265 previously reported from health authorities
The difference is thought to come from different methods of counting deaths

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9095059/Russia-admits-Covid-death-toll-worlds-highest-186-000-THREE-times-higher-claimed.html

and even these admissions are not truthfull...it was much worse and we will probably never know the true number...We are the world.

Back