coronavirus

Jeebus.  Apparently people think water will stop coming out of the tap, but that they'll still have electricity to run their freezers.

The panic buy that we're seeing now is a small preview of what might happen in real emergency.  For now the scale is still limited and groceries avail at local markets, but don't wait until the shelves are empty before you prep.  Depending on your needs, you should plan for 2 weeks to 2 months of supplies at home.  In addition, keep your vehicle gas tank at least 75% full and have emergency backpacks prepped with 3 days of supplies, in the event that you had to leave your home.
https://www.ready.gov/kithttps://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/survival-kit-supplies.htmlhttps://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/anatomy-of-a-first-aid-kit.html

One of the biggest mistakes that people make is to run out and buy supplies that they will never use.  Before you spend money, look around the house.  If you already have 5 can openers in the drawer, do you really need another one?  If you purchase items, choose what you'd actually use under normal conditions as much as possible.

Let's look at a few examples.  Say if the toilet paper, wet wipes, Kleenex, etc. are cleaned out at local stores.  You could buy Costco bulk pack cotton towels.  In emergency you can cut them up and use it to wipe and trash (do not flush).  Outside of emergency, I'm sure you can find uses for cotton towels around the house.

In an emergency you won't have running water to do your dishes.  So stock up on plastic cutlery and paper plates.  Outside of emergencies you can use it for BBQ's and parties.

If you buy "wet" cans (Kirkland canned chicken, albacore, corn), buy what you'd actually eat.  They have shorter 1-5 year shelf life and need to be rotated through regular use.  In an emergency you don't want to be stuck with cases of canned food that you hate.

If you're going to invest in expensive freeze dried foods (#10 cans) with long shelf life, don't order cases until you tried it first (look for smaller camping bag sized).  That "breakfast skillet" might look good on the picture but taste like cat food.  When in doubt, stick to the basics (grains, beans, legumes, pilot bread/crackers) or simple entrees (chicken and rice, beef stew).  Buy #10 metal cans and not the plastic buckets -- if you're going to get the bucket foods, go to Winco and pack your own.

Where you might want to actually invest more money, is quality and durable items.  That cheap flashlights at Walmart might look durable with rubber casing, but won't survive 3' drop to the floor.  When the lights are out you'll be fumbling in the dark, so buy a durable flashlight and have extra batteries.

This toilet paper hoarding phenomenon is pretty crazy.  Does Costco let you return all these toilet paper after this coronavirus thing is over?

For real survival, I will just go to my garden and pluck leafs to use for toilet papers replacement.

Or just go to KFC, Mckeedee, or any close by grubs and grab napkins and stock pile them 😊.

Compressed-Village said:
For real survival, I will just go to my garden and pluck leafs to use for toilet papers replacement.

Or just go to KFC, Mckeedee, or any close by grubs and grab napkins and stock pile them 😊.

There ain't no KFC in this hood. ;D

I just what to repost what Mety wrote before as what he wrote makes a lot of sense to me. While reading the bible the other day, I found a very interesting verse that Psalms 91:14-16 says, God protects and delivers those who love him, therefore we are to remain in peace. I encourage my Irvine friends not to panic and remain in peace.

When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:13-14

Mety wrote:
"Yes, we should pray for sure. Especially for those who are suffering this virus without knowing Jesus as LORD that they will come to know God through this. While I do pray this thing'll disappear soon, it is also under His will that this thing broke out and we need to be in discernment to know what God is saying through this. Maybe we need to repent. Maybe we need to wake up. Maybe we need to pray not only when these things happen but every moment as He commanded. Everyone might take different reactions, but one thing for sure we know as believers is that we're not in control of our lives but God is. So in that, we remain in peace but pray earnestly for everyone's safety and health at the same time as well."

I have mask in my car and disposable gloves. Just in case.
Maybe I should also have a trash bag to make a make shift protective suit. Jkjk lol ;)

Come to think of it. Maybe I need protective eyewear.

eyephone said:
I have mask in my car and disposable gloves. Just in case.
Maybe I should also have a trash bag to make a make shift protective suit. Jkjk lol ;)

Come to think of it. Maybe I need protective eyewear.

Just use the Sparklett's 10 gallon hack:

59531a643dd2f367223dfa8f6a1b9c1a-836384.jpg

Mety said:
Compressed-Village said:

Uh... Culver and Irvine Center bruh. Right next to the McDs. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
Compressed-Village said:

Uh... Culver and Irvine Center bruh. Right next to the McDs. :)

Oh I thought that area was called Tustin. My bad. ;D

Per CNBC South Korea has reported about 5700 cases with 35 deaths, a 0.6% death rate. Apparently they are the most agressive with their testing so that rate is probably the most accurate and it could be even lower as something like 80% of cases are pretty mild so those people probably don?t even get tested.

nosuchreality said:
So if we need to stockpile 2 weeks to 2 months of food, water and TP, what's the recommended amount of ammo to stockpile with it?

Depends how many shots per day you take. 

nosuchreality said:
So if we need to stockpile 2 weeks to 2 months of food, water and TP, what's the recommended amount of ammo to stockpile with it?

But I thought you previously mentioned treat we have nothing to worry about.
Changing position?

PSForever said:
Costco (Tustin) on Sunday (Cont.):

Photo #1:  Canola Oil
Photo #2:  Frozen Quick Food

What?s so special about canola oil that people to need stockpile? Is this an Asian thing? I prefer to use avocado, olive and coconut oils.

Back