coronavirus

aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yep. GG has over double the cases with 100k less people than Irvine.

They Viets are smarter - they are reaching herd immunity faster :)

Oooo... it?s that in your mind proof again.

#thinkagain

I even saw a dude coughing at the tea shop a couple down from the bbq place.  I jetted out quick.

Have you guys noticed when you?re in North OC or LA it always feels good to come to Irvine.  I have this joke with my kids when we visit family in LA/Long Beach then pass the ?Irvine City Limit? sign I say ?ok kids we?re safe now?.

Exactly. If you see someone sneeze or cough GTFO!

APPLE is closing stores in:
FL
SC
NC
AZ
I'm glad CA isn't on the list.  It would make me worry a lot more.

If I were in AZ I'd start buying tp.

aquabliss said:
Apple was one of the first retail locations to shut it's doors in the first wave.  Now looks like they're starting to close stores (again) in some states.  Here we go again.https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-store-closing-coronavirus-164843581.html

Wait... qwerty said that it's the lockdown that would force businesses to close... not the concern over the virus.

#qwernomics

Also, let's check in on one of qwerty's examples, Texas... dang... 13 UT football players tested positive:
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article243635367.html

But it's okay.... it's just the young people:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-texas-young-people-case-surge/

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said Tuesday that the state is seeing a surge in coronavirus cases from people under 30. The state hit new highs Tuesday in the number of new infections and the number of new hospitalizations since the outbreak began.

There were 2,622 new cases of the coronavirus recorded Tuesday, surpassing the previous record that was set on June 10, according to the Texas Department of Public Health. The state also had 2,518 new hospitalizations, the fifth straight day of record highs. The number of people hospitalized has been increasing steadily since May 25, when 1,511 people were hospitalized. 

"The majority of people who tested positive since the beginning of June have been people under the age of 30," Abbott said at a press conference. Abbott said the increase could be the result of Memorial Day gatherings or from "bar-type settings."

How is Georgia (a morekaos example)?
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article243647617.html

On May 8, The Wall Street Journal hailed "The Georgia Model" of COVID-19 management, praising Georgia for two weeks of declining case and death numbers and for the state's achievement in reportedly testing 100,000 individuals in 10 days.

But, as Los Angeles Times columnist Matthew Fleischer pointed out, the Journal's praise rested on a graph in which the state misrepresented its own data, rearranging the case and death counts from different dates in such a way as to create the appearance of a decline. The mistake was so egregious that both the state's Republican Governor Brian Kemp and its Department of Health (DOH) issued public apologies.

On Wednesday Georgia crossed the threshold of over 60,000 overall confirmed COVID-19 cases. Over the prior week, Georgia has reported three of its highest daily totals of new cases, with 993 cases reported on June 11, 1,018 on June 13 and 952 on June 17.

Kemp lifted most of the state's lockdown measures at the end of April, allowing cinemas, churches restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors and beauty salons to re-open. Directly afterward, the state saw a spike of more than 1,200 new confirmed cases on May 1. In the last 10 days, the state has reported between 700 and nearly 1,000 new cases each day.

Former Georgia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams called the decision to reopen the state "dangerously incompetent and deeply callous." Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Kemp had essentially told state residents, "Go bowling and we'll have a [hospital] bed waiting on you." Even Republican President Donald Trump, who had personally encouraged states to reopen quickly, said of the state's late April reopening, "It's just too soon."

zubs said:
APPLE is closing stores in:
FL
SC
NC
AZ
I'm glad CA isn't on the list.  It would make me worry a lot more.

If I were in AZ I'd start buying tp.

CA may be next. That's why Newsom issued the mask ordinance, because cases were increasing in certain areas.

The people who complain about Newsoms mask order are being fooled by Russian propaganda.  Russia wants to cause chaos and destruction in the USA.  They are riling up the dummies by posting on all social media sites.

If we wear masks, there will be less transmission of COVID-19 and our economy will open up earlier and stay open.

The Russian propaganda caused Newsom to hold off on the mask requirement until yesterday!...We would be in a much better position if our governor had the courage to implement the mask requirement earlier.

We have been open for almost two months. The chart below charts out the daily deaths in the US per day. While the media continuously reports on the number of cases spiking here, there and everywhere (presumably to just get clicks) the deaths per day don?t seem to have been impacted by the reopening (although not sure there has been enough lag yet, so TBD). 

But overall the chart looks encouraging.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-deaths-united-states-each-day-2020-n1177936

irvinehomeowner said:
CA may be next. That's why Newsom issued the mask ordinance, because cases were increasing in certain areas.
I believe Newsom finally received his $1B mask order, now he's trying to sell those.

zubs said:
The people who complain about Newsoms mask order are being fooled by Russian propaganda.  Russia wants to cause chaos and destruction in the USA.  They are riling up the dummies by posting on all social media sites.

If we wear masks, there will be less transmission of COVID-19 and our economy will open up earlier and stay open.

The Russian propaganda caused Newsom to hold off on the mask requirement until yesterday!...We would be in a much better position if our governor had the courage to implement the mask requirement earlier.
Hmm, now it's Russian to blame for the Chinese virus?  Watched too much CNN (fake) news recently?

qwerty said:
We have been open for almost two months. The chart below charts out the daily deaths in the US per day. While the media continuously reports on the number of cases spiking here, there and everywhere (presumably to just get clicks) the deaths per day don?t seem to have been impacted by the reopening (although not sure there has been enough lag yet, so TBD). 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-deaths-united-states-each-day-2020-n1177936

qwerty said:

I've read somewhere that the majority of new cases are younger folks so between that and medical providers getting better at treating the folks that are hospitalized may have translated to a lower number of deaths.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:

I've read somewhere that the majority of new cases are younger folks so between that and medical providers getting better at treating the folks that are hospitalized may have translated to a lower number of deaths.

No no no. The qwertheory is it will be the exact same number of deaths, it will just take longer.

/sarcasm

NYC just entering phase 2 today:
https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-updates-nyc-enters-phase-2-most-us-sees-surge-new-cases

NYC is actually one of the last regions to start re-opening due to the severity of the pandemic there. So to a certain adventurous poster here, you may want to "think again" about why new cases/deaths have been lower in NYC than elsewhere.

Meanwhile, cases surge in over half the states, some of them delaying reopenings or enforcing safety protocols (like masks) in order to control the spread.

Also, I was at an outdoor mall this past weekend and almost everyone was wearing masks. Every store I saw had a sign saying you could not enter if you were not wearing a mask... so it looks like businesses will "enforce" safety over economy.

Well let?s not pretend they are enforcing safety over the economy. They are complying with government rules as they should.

If businesses cared about safety they would have continued their alL out assault with of their disinfecting procedures. Costco has scaled back significantly.

Business are doing what they need to do to stay open and keep getting their money. Let?s not pretend they are prioritizing safety over the dollar.

The dollar always trumps safety.

qwerty said:
Well let?s not pretend they are enforcing safety over the economy. They are complying with government rules as they should.

If businesses cared about safety they would have continued their alL out assault with of their disinfecting procedures. Costco has scaled back significantly.

Business are doing what they need to do to stay open and keep getting their money. Let?s not pretend they are prioritizing safety over the dollar.

The dollar always trumps safety.

I disagree. Several restaurants have re-closed due to outbreaks... if they only cared about the dollar, they would have stayed open.

Prior to the state mandate, stores already had those mask signs up.

You had stated before that stores shouldn't force people to wear masks... but they are because people want to feel safe in order to shop.

What I said before was that business should be allowed to reopen and put whatever safety protocols in place, if that requires wearing masks to get in that that was fine. That was before the state mandated it.

Now that the state has mandated them business should enforce it. I have a choice to not go to a business that requires a mask.

The issue I have is being forced to wear a mask outside. Any business can require whatever they want of their customers and employees

Back