Coral Crest - TNHC - Crystal Cove

I expected to be wow'ed since y'all splooged over the models (maybe it was the hand cream they were passing out).  But honestly, I came away not as impressed.  Plan 2, which NYT raved about, reminded me of an El Torito.  Mi casa es su casa!

Plan 1 was definitely the best and very similar to La Vita plan 4.  The views from this one were also the best, with the ocean perfectly framed by the courtyard.  Too bad the Marriott timeshares in the distance spoil the otherwise unobstructed view.

My mistake was seeing Crest before Canyon.  The Canyon homes definitely felt like a letdown since there were no ocean views and the finishes were much simpler.  The separate his and her master bathrooms were distinguishing, however.

Both Crest and Canyon are definitely geared towards empty nesters looking for a show home.

WTTCHMN said:
I expected to be wow'ed since y'all splooged over the models (maybe it was the hand cream they were passing out).  But honestly, I came away not as impressed.  Plan 2, which NYT raved about, reminded me of an El Torito.  Mi casa es su casa!

Plan 1 was definitely the best and very similar to La Vita plan 4.  The views from this one were also the best, with the ocean perfectly framed by the courtyard.  Too bad the Marriott timeshares in the distance spoil the otherwise unobstructed view.

My mistake was seeing Crest before Canyon.  The Canyon homes definitely felt like a letdown since there were no ocean views and the finishes were much simpler.  The separate his and her master bathrooms were distinguishing, however.

Both Crest and Canyon are definitely geared towards empty nesters looking for a show home.

The decor/interior design was definitely distracting.  With the great views, the homes would probably sell a lot quicker if they had staged them to be coastal chic, rather than Moroccan themed....too much use of bright colors.

Decor is so subjective. That said, I can appreciate how decor can detract from an otherwise nice house. Example: The decor of most Toll Brothers homes makes me have to make an effort to look at the house in spite of the garishness of the decor. Personally, I liked the decor of these homes. The Canyon homes were subdued and neutral. I really liked the bright colors of the Plan 2 of the Crest homes. Fit in with the Spanish theme, I feel. Anyways, I generally liked the decor of these homes. But I think most serious buyers can overlook decor and see if the house itself fits their needs. My current home, i didn't care for the decor of the model but purchased because the floorplan worked for me. The decor is only relevant if you're buying the model home.

NewToNewport said:
WTTCHMN said:

The decor/interior design was definitely distracting.  With the great views, the homes would probably sell a lot quicker if they had staged them to be coastal chic, rather than Moroccan themed....too much use of bright colors.

NYT said:
Decor is so subjective. That said, I can appreciate how decor can detract from an otherwise nice house. Example: The decor of most Toll Brothers homes makes me have to make an effort to look at the house in spite of the garishness of the decor. Personally, I liked the decor of these homes. The Canyon homes were subdued and neutral. I really liked the bright colors of the Plan 2 of the Crest homes. Fit in with the Spanish theme, I feel. Anyways, I generally liked the decor of these homes. But I think most serious buyers can overlook decor and see if the house itself fits their needs. My current home, i didn't care for the decor of the model but purchased because the floorplan worked for me. The decor is only relevant if you're buying the model home.

NewToNewport said:
WTTCHMN said:

Crest plan 2 was definitely garish.  Looked like the interior decorator had one too many margaritas and thought she was designing a Mexican restaurant.  TNHC typically has Pottery Barnish decor but for Crest, I think they borrowed from TB's playbook and went all Z Gallerie (even though they claimed it was Restoration Hardware).

WTTCHMN said:
NYT said:

NewToNewport said:
WTTCHMN said:

Crest plan 2 was definitely garish.  Looked like the interior decorator had one too many margaritas and thought she was designing a Mexican restaurant.  TNHC typically has Pottery Barnish decor but for Crest, I think they borrowed from TB's playbook and went all Z Gallerie (even though they claimed it was Restoration Hardware).

That was not Z Gallerie. I hate Z Gallerie and I did not hate that. Again, to each his own. It certainly wasn't as garish as Toll Brothers models.

They definitely have a relationship with Restoration Hardware -- all of their outdoor furniture and indoor dining tables.  Many of their upgrade options are with Restoration Hardware as well...chandeliers, bathroom fixtures/faucets, hardware, chandeliers and other lighting (sconces, pendants). 

NewToNewport said:
They definitely have a relationship with Restoration Hardware -- all of their outdoor furniture and indoor dining tables.  Many of their upgrade options are with Restoration Hardware as well...chandeliers, bathroom fixtures/faucets, hardware, chandeliers and other lighting (sconces, pendants).

The patio furniture looked like it was from Costco.

Well, than I better renew my Costco membership  ;D

WTTCHMN said:
NewToNewport said:

The patio furniture looked like it was from Costco.

Love RH Modern. The good/bad about RH is their business is really suffering. Too much competition. You can find replicas of their designs easily on Ballard, One Kings Lane, Wayfair, etc. But that means constant markdowns and now this 25% off members club.

We went a bit overboard with RH on our new home and now Mrs Acpme has said, no more RH. We're afraid the house will look like a dated model home in a few years. I guess that's the difference between men and women. I walk into a store and will pick something out because the model had something similar so by that logic, it has to look good in our home right? The wife is much more creative!

NewToNewport said:
Someone needs to tell them that "the luxury housing market is stalling"....

Certainly the buyers aren't telling them... they sold out Phases 1 and 2 even before the model opening.

Yup, was just being sarcastic since so many doom and gloomers want so much for the luxury real estate prices to crash.  But, 15 $5-7M homes selling in 3 months seem like the luxury market is still pretty strong.  Pretty incredible the price hike from Phases though.

NYT said:
NewToNewport said:
Someone needs to tell them that "the luxury housing market is stalling"....

Certainly the buyers aren't telling them... they sold out Phases 1 and 2 even before the model opening.

collected said:
Wow 9 million for a model home :eek:.  It can't be THAT expensive to upgrade a regular home to be model like.

Because it's not just a model... it's an El Torito.  Ol?!

Back