Concerns over dump/great park contamination/truck pollution on sand canyon

viola

Hi all,

Been living in woodbury for several years, first in apartment now in a house.  I'm worried about the all the construction noise/pollution and the all trucks up and down sand canyon and Jeffrey going to the landfill.  It seems with the great park we will have the construction trucks around for a long time.  Worries about the pollution affecting my little kids.  Also am worried about the great park neighbor hood with the toxic plume and environmental concerns.  Considering about moving but don't know where to as the locations is best for our jobs.

Is anyone else worried about this in woodbury?  Or am I just being overly paranoid.

My husband and I had the same concerns, that's why we bought in Quail Hill. One of the main entrances to the Great Park will be off Trabuco south of Sand Canyon so that's going to cause TONS of traffic. That landfill doesn't close until 2053 so the dump truck traffic isn't going anywhere either. The plume, however, is not near Woodbury (supposedly). They also spray pesticides at the Great Park farmlands and don't inform the public how much, when and what types.

If you are able to get out now and you have legitimate concerns I'd say go. There's also the possibility of all the new housing may effect home prices everywhere out there. It has to be your decision. Woodbury is a great place to live. We came so close to buying there, but in the end the environmental concerns just weren't worth the risk for us. Good luck!

I had my reservations when we first bought but there wasn't much out there and did not want an old house. There are so many families here. I guess most people don't know or don't think it is an issue. At the time I didn't know there was going to be so much construction going around us. Isn't quail hill near the 405?

This is nothing compared to China like living next to factories, toxic waste and year round filthy air. It is a China dream for many mainlanders.

viola said:
Is anyone else worried about this in woodbury?  Or am I just being overly paranoid.

Part of our issue is our science is being corrupted by money, just think all the convolutions we've done on smoking.  When it comes to diet, it often seems like they're guessing.  And when it comes to pollution, the vested interests have lost all sense of scale and risk.  i.e. The recent decision by the AQMD to restrict beach fire pits within 700 people of structures even though they admit if every single pit in the SoCal region was burning it puts out less particulate pollution than burning one acre of wild fire.  So pretty pick any one of the three wild fires in the last two weeks and each has put out roughly 100 years worth of particulate pollution.

Are you paranoid?  No, Hinckley proves you're not.  More importantly, at a Federal level, the EPA has not established a maximum contaminant level for hexavalent chromium.  California has proposed 0.02 parts per billion or 20 parts per trillion, and is trying to make an enforceable max contaminant level.

It is a set of trade off though.  i.e. Do I eat the antibiotic laced factory farm hog salumi, the petri-dish grown sim-meat salumi or risk trichinosis by eating the wild hog salumi?

nosuchreality said:
viola said:

Part of our issue is our science is being corrupted by money, just think all the convolutions we've done on smoking.  When it comes to diet, it often seems like they're guessing.  And when it comes to pollution, the vested interests have lost all sense of scale and risk.  i.e. The recent decision by the AQMD to restrict beach fire pits within 700 people of structures even though they admit if every single pit in the SoCal region was burning it puts out less particulate pollution than burning one acre of wild fire.  So pretty pick any one of the three wild fires in the last two weeks and each has put out roughly 100 years worth of particulate pollution.

Are you paranoid?  No, Hinckley proves you're not.  More importantly, at a Federal level, the EPA has not established a maximum contaminant level for hexavalent chromium.  California has proposed 0.02 parts per billion or 20 parts per trillion, and is trying to make an enforceable max contaminant level.

It is a set of trade off though.  i.e. Do I eat the antibiotic laced factory farm hog salumi, the petri-dish grown sim-meat salumi or risk trichinosis by eating the wild hog salumi?

I have a small one and I get the concern but I do think that there is a lot of over-sensitivity in general for parents these days.  Hey, I'm guilty of it as well.  Organic labeling and free range eggs sucks me in like a black hole. 

There is certainly a lot to worry about these days but I think it's because there is way to much information and not enough filtering.  Living in Irvine/OC makes your child(ren) like in the top 1/10 of 1% of the world's children.  Yes, there are risks associated with truck fumes and dust but the risk is so minute compared to other potential dangers in the world that your child is exposed to.  People freak out about a lot of things these days:  Vaccines, EMF, pollution, drinking water, GMO, etc are (to me) a lot of worrying about nothing.  EMF, for example, is everywhere.  There has been no evidence that EMF causes anything but yet people fear it.  Mold was another hyped up example from a few years ago.

My view on this is that you have a right to be concerned but there is no "perfect" place where you kid is not going to exposed to some that is "harmful."  Everything causes cancer...(just about).  Our parents raised us without any of this knowledge we have now and almost all of us turned out fine. 

Paranoid or neurotic, pick one.  It'll be fine, stop worrying so much.  It's also ok to drink out of the hose and eat food that's dropped on the ground.  You're not alone in this thinking, it's prevalent in Irvine. 

OCgasman said:
Paranoid or neurotic, pick one.  It'll be fine, stop worrying so much.  It's also ok to drink out of the hose and eat food that's dropped on the ground.  You're not alone in this thinking, it's prevalent in Irvine.

WHAT?  YOU ARE CRAZY!  (cover self with antibacterial gel)

It is also interesting that the some of the medical issues that children deal with now result from the over-concernness of parents.  There is some research showing that the rise in peanut allergy results from the lack of exposure to peanut during pregnancy/infancy.

Coleman said:
I just found this looking around the web. 
http://www.stateoftheair.org/2013/states/california/orange-06059.html

Where can one run and hide?  By looking at the chart, you'd have to go to places like Mendocino (not in Stonegate) Sonoma, and Humboldt.

Regarding the pollution from garbage trucks, are they really gross polluters?  For some reason, I thought the run on a much cleaner fuel.

They do.  They run on natural gas produced from the garbage.

OCgasman said:

This reminds me of a quote that I once heard from a guy who lived a more "adventurous" life.  He said, "It is good to live underneath the freeway every now and then, it builds up your immune system."

Also, let me make a reminder to not shake OCGASMAN's hand when we meet in person, haha. (joking) I like to build my immune system by eating at restaurants that have a C.   

Coleman said:
Where can one run and hide?  By looking at the chart, you'd have to go to places like Mendocino (not in Stonegate) Sonoma, and Humboldt.
This might predate you, but there is a Sonoma in Woodbury. :)

Coleman said:
OCgasman said:

This reminds me of a quote that I once heard from a guy who lived a more "adventurous" life.  He said, "It is good to live underneath the freeway every now and then, it builds up your immune system."

Also, let me make a reminder to not shake OCGASMAN's hand when we meet in person, haha. (joking) I like to build my immune system by eating at restaurants that have a C. 

We were at the beach yesterday and my wife was feeding our one year old. He occasionally took his food out of his mouth, dipped it in the sand and then ate it.

I figure it builds up their immune system. And yes - you need to let your kids get outside and have some freedom. I think the biggest shame in modern parenting is that kids are rarely allowed anywhere without adult supervision.

paperboyNC said:
I think the biggest shame in modern parenting is that kids are rarely allowed anywhere without adult supervision.

IHO - paperboy is badmouthing you and your parenting style  :)

hey guys, dont forget that irvines tap water from the colorado river has a higher arsenic level then the acceptable federal level... so make sure u add a water filter from water sources u consume from (ie filter ur sink + replace ur fridge filter every so often)...

i mean, bad air u cant really do much about once u head outside but when ur indoors the markets pretty big so u got a whole variety of air purifiers u can get...

irvinehomeowner.. said:
hey guys, dont forget that irvines tap water from the colorado river has a higher arsenic level then the acceptable federal level... so make sure u add a water filter from water sources u consume from (ie filter ur sink + replace ur fridge filter every so often)...

i mean, bad air u cant really do much about once u head outside but when ur indoors the markets pretty big so u got a whole variety of air purifiers u can get...

Does boiling the water help with arsenic? I mostly drink bottle water and filter the rest, but I don't filter my cooking water.

paperboyNC said:
irvinehomeowner.. said:

Does boiling the water help with arsenic? I mostly drink bottle water and filter the rest, but I don't filter my cooking water.

I'm a sucker for bottled water too but usually for convenience.  Most studies have shown that bottled water is actually worse than tap water.  Tap water is regulated and governed by EPA regulations, bottled water is not.  In fact, many bottled water are sourced from city/municipal water.  Aquafina for example is from the City of Houston water supply
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/DrWater/drinkingwater.php
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/bwinx.asp
http://www.ewg.org/research/ewg-bottled-water-scorecard-2011

Bottled water is basically a huge money maker for the bottlers and sold to you as "healthier" when in fact it's not. 

Irvine water actually has very low arsenic rates:
http://www.irwd.com/assets/files/Water Quality/IRWD2013WQR.pdf
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/qarsenic.asp

We haven't even gotten started with the contaminants from the plastic bottles.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bpa/AN01955

Irvinecommuter said:
I'm a sucker for bottled water too but usually for convenience.  Most studies have shown that bottled water is actually worse than tap water.  Tap water is regulated and governed by EPA regulations, bottled water is not.  In fact, many bottled water are sourced from city/municipal water. 

The bottle water I get is from reverse osmosis. Obviously I could just get a reverse osmosis filter installed at home. At work I just get water from their reverse osmosis filter. I hate the taste of SoCal tap water.

One of the links says the Nestle Pure Life Purified Water is the most open about their source and this is the water I have delivered.

Back