Common Core Standards

Yep! said:

They agree, those white people are pulling the grades down. >:D

For all the talking the white suburban mom did about the inappropriateness of common core claiming its developmentally inappropriate, does nothing to show it is.

There's a problem is our schools, it's really simple, we're too cowardly to say, this is what is needed to be learned by the end of grade 6, and if you don't know to a relative level of proficiency, you're going to stay in grade 6.

abcd1234 said:

Thank you for posting this, abcd.  Yes, pretty insulting for the Secretary of Education to say something like this just to defend his Common Core program.  You know he is desperate when he has to resort to racial insults in attacking local control supporters (who include all races and who span the political spectrum).  He didn't learn from the NY education chief's mistakes in personally attacking moms and teachers in NY state.

Mr. Duncan should also come here and learn that Irvine moms (of all races) will get the Common Core test results (though not until 2015) and realize their kids are smarter than his dumbed-down standards.  Our kids deserve better than this and IUSD should really think about what they are doing and reverse course on Common Core.

Yep! said:
abcd1234 said:

Thank you for posting this, abcd.  Yes, pretty insulting for the Secretary of Education to say something like this just to defend his Common Core program.  You know he is desperate when he has to resort to racial insults in attacking local control supporters (who include all races and who span the political spectrum).  He didn't learn from the NY education chief's mistakes in personally attacking moms and teachers in NY state.

Mr. Duncan should also come here and learn that Irvine moms (of all races) will get the Common Core test results (though not until 2015) and realize their kids are smarter than his dumbed-down standards.  Our kids deserve better than this and IUSD should really think about what they are doing and reverse course on Common Core.

You should go up to Los Angeles, where more kids won't graduate this year on time than are enrolled in ALL of Irvine Unified School District.

nosuchreality said:
Yep! said:

For all the talking the white suburban mom did about the inappropriateness of common core claiming its developmentally inappropriate, does nothing to show it is.

There's a problem is our schools, it's really simple, we're too cowardly to say, this is what is needed to be learned by the end of grade 6, and if you don't know to a relative level of proficiency, you're going to stay in grade 6.

Hopefully the moderator of this board will not allow racial insults, but perhaps that is fair game on Talk Irvine?

Folks should do some research before assuming there is no information on the developmental appropriateness of Common Core.  Lots out there.

Yes, it is simple:  In California, we had some of the best standards in the U.S. as to what is learned in each grade.  Now, with Common Core, most of what kids were supposed to have learned this year in 5th grade math is going to be repeated again next year in 6th grade under Common Core.  It's like the 5th graders "failed" and are "staying in grade 5" even if they are a straight A students and did very well on last year's more stringent Star Test.

You say there is a "problem in our schools"?  What is the "problem" in Irvine schools that Common Core is supposed to solve?  What problem that would not have been better addressed by pumping $1.2B to improve our existing state standards and/or to hire more teachers instead of using all that state money just for Arne Duncan's lowered Common Core standards?

No, there's lots of hyperbole about inappropriateness.  BTW, still waiting on the identification of 'experimental' geometry.

It's a national standard that sets minimum criteria.

Irvine schools do very well.  LAUSD not so.  Santa Ana not so.  Many other schools, not so well.

Frankly, I question how well IUSD really does do.  We know there's a massive industry around pushing the kids with Kumon, test prep, so how much success is IUSD and how much is really, just massive family investment.

But please, humor me, provide some links to the documentation on the developmentally inappropriateness of the curriculum.

Because frankly, your saying it's beneath Irvine on one hand, and other the other saying it's not appropriate, which means too advanced.

BTW, since it wasn't clear, that evil grin was a tongue in cheek reference to the perceived biases in Irvine for the different races.

Yep! said:
nosuchreality said:
Yep! said:

Hopefully the moderator of this board will not allow racial insults, but perhaps that is fair game on Talk Irvine?

Folks should do some research before assuming there is no information on the developmental appropriateness of Common Core.  Lots out there.

Yes, it is simple:  In California, we had some of the best standards in the U.S. as to what is learned in each grade.  Now, with Common Core, most of what kids were supposed to have learned this year in 5th grade math is going to be repeated again next year in 6th grade under Common Core.  It's like the 5th graders "failed" and are "staying in grade 5" even if they are a straight A students and did very well on last year's more stringent Star Test.

You say there is a "problem in our schools"?  What is the "problem" in Irvine schools that Common Core is supposed to solve?  What problem that would not have been better addressed by pumping $1.2B to improve our existing state standards and/or to hire more teachers instead of using all that state money just for Arne Duncan's lowered Common Core standards?

Have you spoken to any teacher about it?  Every teacher I have spoken to about the new standards are pretty happy with them.

Also, what exactly are you worried about..do you really think that Irvine students do well because of the state standards?  There are plenty of states with terrible standards and pockets where students do exceedingly well.

Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:
nosuchreality said:
Yep! said:

Have you spoken to any teacher about it?  Every teacher I have spoken to about the new standards are pretty happy with them.

Also, what exactly are you worried about..do you really think that Irvine students do well because of the state standards?  There are plenty of states with terrible standards and pockets where students do exceedingly well.

Have you asked any parents about it?  Most we have spoken to haven't the slightest idea what Common Core really even is, let alone heard all sides of the issue (beyond the "PR hype").  The awareness is still VERY low in CA.  Especially regarding the child privacy issues, etc.

Ask those same teachers if they are OK with their jobs or their pay being based on student Common Core test scores (as they now are in places like NY, KY, CO, etc.)  Also ask them, if they had the choice of getting smaller classes and/or higher pay with the current standards by re-investing the $1.2+ Billlion from the state earmarked for Common Core vs. the current huge class sizes with Common Core which would they choose?  Pretty obvious.  You need to frame the question as a choice of investing $1.2B in improvements in current system vs. $1.2B just to switch to Common Core.

Yes, schools get ~3 years "off" from having meaningful state test results.  Yes, IUSD tells us that classes will be able to "slow down" with Common Core (watch the IUSD video from last March).  But that doesn't mean that is what is best for our kids and doesn't mean this isn't a scam of epic proportions we are playing on our kids.

Yep! said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:
nosuchreality said:
Yep! said:

Have you asked any parents about it?  Most we have spoken to haven't the slightest idea what Common Core really even is, let alone heard all sides of the issue (beyond the "PR hype").  The awareness is still VERY low in CA.  Especially regarding the child privacy issues, etc.

Ask those same teachers if they are OK with their jobs or their pay being based on student Common Core test scores (as they now are in places like NY, KY, CO, etc.)  Also ask them, if they had the choice of getting smaller classes and/or higher pay with the current standards by re-investing the $1.2+ Billlion from the state earmarked for Common Core vs. the current huge class sizes with Common Core which would they choose?  Pretty obvious.  You need to frame the question as a choice of investing $1.2B in improvements in current system vs. $1.2B just to switch to Common Core.

Yes, schools get ~3 years "off" from having meaningful state test results.  Yes, IUSD tells us that classes will be able to "slow down" with Common Core (watch the IUSD video from last March).  But that doesn't mean that is what is best for our kids and doesn't mean this isn't a scam of epic proportions we are playing on our kids.

So...no, you haven't spoken to any teachers about it.

Also, parents are usually pretty myopic when it comes to their children.  It's why otherwise reasonable people think that vaccines are a bad idea.  I will rely on the doctors if you don't mind.

I tend to agree with Yep! on the issue. Launching any type of experimental program must be clearly disclosed to and acknowledged by parents. Period.

adventurous said:
I tend to agree with Yep! on the issue. Launching any type of experimental program must be clearly disclosed to and acknowledged by parents. Period.

Sorry..but this is like people screaming about how Obamacare was a surprise.  There were tons of debate on the matter and California allowed Common Care to be implemented over a number of years.

Tyler Durden said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/opinion/sunday/bruni-are-kids-too-coddled.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OP_AKT_20131125&_r=0

This comment from a teacher in LA nailed it:

am a 9th grade English teacher in Los Angeles Unified, and here's why I like Common Core:

1. The old standards that we've had to post for years blanketed my walls, ugly, unread, often irrelevant.

2. Speaking for my subject, CC focuses primarily on nonfiction, expository text. It tasks students to find and support a thesis with strong evidence. This is a critical skill in life, not simply school. And teachers aren't limited to nonfiction, nor is my curriculum deformed to meaningless test prep or rigid pacing plans. I can still do poetry, great novels and films, etc--it's only that we are teaching the kids to find the big ideas and prove their points with hard evidence.

3. If English teachers have been doing our jobs, we've been teaching this stuff already, at least in part.

4. It's topical. The current freshman prompt features a couple of op-ed pieces about Edward Snowden--good guy or bad guy?--and the kids have to choose a side, then support their choice.

5. It beats the hell out of our CA standardized tests, where they had to read about little girls entering dresses in county fairs, and learn words like 'rickrack,' and 'frisson of contempt.'

Common Core isn't going to solve everything, and the curve is too high to expect that much right away. Regardless, if we don't like change, we picked a funny profession. And neither I nor Common Core are going away anytime soon.

Irvinecommuter said:
adventurous said:

Sorry..but this is like people screaming about how Obamacare was a surprise.  There were tons of debate on the matter and California allowed Common Care to be implemented over a number of years.

The more I read about CCS, the less I like it.

adventurous said:
Irvinecommuter said:
adventurous said:

The more I read about CCS, the less I like it.

Such as?

The biggest concern is that they want to shrink the curriculum. Like in Algebra the intent is to focus on the skills that can be applied in "the working environment".  But what is the "working environment"? Is it McDonalds or UCI? Why would you want your kid to stay focused on the knowledge of coin counting, if you aim him/her to the college degree? What is the value of the public education, if we lower standards down to non-qualified job requirements? It's just one of a few things that I am concerned about.

Sounds like a talking head talking point, here's the links for the California Common Core State Standards - Mathematics and Common Core Standard and the Mathematics Framework for California Schools.  You may wish to pay attention to the last paragraph below the chart on page 58 of the first selection.
Local districts determine which course offerings and sequences best meet the needs of students. The table above provides guidance on possible course-taking sequences in higher mathematics. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of courses or
sequences of courses that students could take.

And the information in the introductory section of the framework
1 Appendix A: Course Placement and Sequences
3 Increased Rigor of Grade 8 and Algebra I/Mathematics I standards
4 Success in Algebra I/Mathematics I is crucial to students? overall academic success,
5 their continued interest and engagement in mathematics, and the likelihood of their
6 meeting California?s A-G requirements. The CA CCSSM represent a tight progression of
7 skills and knowledge that is inherently rigorous and designed to provide a strong
8 foundation for success in the new, more advanced, Algebra I and Mathematics I
9 courses that will typically be taken by most students in the ninth grade
111 The CA CCSSM Grade 8 standards are of significantly higher rigor than the
Algebra 1 course that many students have taken while in 8th 112 grade. The CA
113 CCSSM for grade eight address the foundations of algebra by including content that
114 was previously part of the Algebra I course
124 The New Algebra I and Mathematics I courses build on the CA CCSSM for Grade 8
125 and are correspondingly more advanced than the previous courses

Please point to specifics, where is this focus on 'working' at McDonald's.  The dumbing down?  The stripping of Irvine's ability to have advanced placement? etc.

Back