Common Core Standards

qwerty said:
Yep! said:
Irvine's home prices rise and fall based on the API, it seems.  What now?

you shouldnt care about your home's price. its all about the children!

Agreed!  I put that one in there thinking one of the many real state agents on this blog might "bite" on that one.  :)

Look, it's a reality that a lot of people bought homes in Irvine, coming from around the world, because of the strong API scores and reputation.  That's just a fact.  It's also a fact that those API scores are now gone with the stroke of Gov. Brown's pen.  Also a fact we won't have solid score trend data for another 3 years... beyond home values, there also goes accountability.

We like a lot more about the city than the public school quality and its impact on home values, even if our kids went to private school (they do not... yet).  But it's something the folks in the city, including our officials, seem to care about.  Just look at some of the arguments on the new high school options.

Yep! said:
qwerty said:
Yep! said:

Agreed!  I put that one in there thinking one of the many real state agents on this blog might "bite" on that one.  :)

Look, it's a reality that a lot of people bought homes in Irvine, coming from around the world, because of the strong API scores and reputation.  That's just a fact.  It's also a fact that those API scores are now gone with the stroke of Gov. Brown's pen.  Also a fact we won't have solid score trend data for another 3 years... beyond home values, there also goes accountability.

We like a lot more about the city than the public school quality and its impact on home values, even if our kids went to private school (they do not... yet).  But it's something the folks in the city, including our officials, seem to care about.  Just look at some of the arguments on the new high school options.

Yes..the Irvine school district was a disaster before they implemented API.  API is nothing more than a way for people to brag about their school, it doesn't make your kids smarter or better.  Irvine USD (and other district like it) will always be excellent and top performing because of the students who go there and the parents who support it.

Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:
Our Irvine kids are not "common."  So why should our standards be?

This makes absolutely no sense.  Common core does not require every teacher to teach the exact same thing, it just emphasis new way of looking at and solving problems.  Instead of the traditional teaching standards, common core just places importance on new things.

As long as all the rest of the post makes sense, that's fine that you don't like the last two sentences.  Does the process on how we got Common Core make sense to you?  Or the fact that one of the proven and best standards in the country were replaced with lower standards?  Does that make sense?

However, actually, yes, the topics that teachers will be expected to teach will in fact all need to be the same (hence the term "common") across all 45 states in the CCSS "cartel," as they were with the prior CA standards.  The test needs to be the same, as it was with STAR.  That is what is means to have common standards and standard tests.

Again...nothing in Common Core structure change how effective a teacher is or is not.  California has some of the strongest standards in the country and there is nothing in the common core that weakens that.  Both common core and ELD standards serve as background and guides for a teacher to teach.  It is up to the individual teachers, principals, and districts to fill in the blanks.  California was actually one of the states that led in the creation of the Common Core and it did not get any more money from the Federal government because it was not selected as one of the "Race to the Top" states.

Common Core is actually seen by teachers as more free than the traditional standards for its allowance for teachers to be more creative and have more control over learning process

Common Core is endorsed by the California Teachers' Association, the California State Education Superintendent, the NEA, the California State PTA, and many other education groups in California.
http://www.dailynews.com/social-aff...mon-core-education-overhaul-than-other-states
http://www.edsource.org/today/2013/...r-students-big-opportunity-for-teachers/37065

And don't forget the media.  They're also for Common Core! (hence the two stories above being so obviously one-sided).  If all of those groups are for it and parents haven't been told much about it... must be good, right?  From what I have heard from someone very involved with this program, teachers who do not agree with Common Core may be afraid to speak out.

Prior to Common Core roll-out, Bill Gates' foundation donated to the NEA, the AFT, the PTA, etc.  All the right folks.  Read about that here:http://deutsch29.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/a-brief-audit-of-bill-gates-common-core-spending/http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mercedes-schneider/gates-money-and-common-co_b_3853438.html

In California, thanks to Gov. Brown, CA effectively gets ~3 years off without state standard fully in place with trend data. In New York and KY, with the SAME Common Core standards, many union folks and teachers were not happy.  Why the difference?  For one, in NY and KY, teachers are being evaluated based on the Common Core student scores. Same is true in places like Colorado (even more so), where there was a huge fight because of the linking of the scores to teacher evaluations.    Is that coming in CA?  At least not until it's fully in place and then it's "too late" to turn back.  But then, if you look at the playbook in other states, probably.

How about parents?  Do our opinions and voices matter?

Parents, please research all sides of this issue and speak up!  Contact the district, your teachers, your School Board and your legislators.  If you don't want lower standards and you don't want your child's private data going to the CALPADS database in Sacramento, learn about this issue and let your voice be heard!

For just about every topic the teacher teaches, from the content, to the algorithms used in math (some of the new ones will confuse parents and teachers and have NEVER been successfully used anywhere in the world), to the fact that much classic literature is thrown out, to the timing of when all of this is taught... this will all be changing.  Teachers will not have more latitude to teach what works best in California or in Irvine, they will have less latitude than Irvine having its OWN standards.  No choice to remove any standards... by parents, teachers, schools or even our state...even if there are ERRORS in them (as one expert said there is in the ELA standards).  We can ADD up to 15% on top of the CCSS standards.  Yippie.  And yes, $1.2B+ in cost for California just to implement, who knows how much over 10 years or more. 

Remember, the prior standards have been proven to work to raise proficiency and improve college-readiness.  So, why spend billions on something experimental that has never been tested or proven to work?  Why spend the next 13 years just to get back to the 13+ years of trend data we have now with STAR?  Why not spend far less to make the current standards better?  This is nuts, folks.

Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:
qwerty said:
Yep! said:

Yes..the Irvine school district was a disaster before they implemented API.  API is nothing more than a way for people to brag about their school, it doesn't make your kids smarter or better.  Iervine USD (and other district like it) will always be excellent and top performing because of the students who go there and the parnts who support it.

How do you know IUSD is "top performing" compared to other schools?

At the same time, I like your line of thinking here.  We could save the $1.2B (maybe more) and not implement Common Core.  You could hire a lot more teachers with that kind of money and drop the 35+ kids per class we have now.  Good idea.

Just because the school has been top performing in the past and parents are involved and care about their kids' education, doesn't mean this issue isn't important.  In fact, parents (as IUSD admin has said) are one of the critical reasons the schools are "excellent and top performing" in the first place.  So give parents all the facts and then let us have some say on this important issue. 

adventurous said:
I personally would rather prefer not to put my kids in any kind of experimental program... Just my 0.02c

I definitely would not put my kids into anything experimental programs either.  However education is one big experimentation.  Every time a new teacher is hired that teacher takes a few years to figure things out (aka: experimentation).  Every time an experienced teacher gets a new prep/course it takes a couple years to work out the kinks (aka: experimentation). 

I know in the real/business world, it sounds bad to be part of an "experimentation".  But in schools teachers are used to it.  Every time a new textbook comes out.  Every time a new standard gets introduced.  They have to experiment with what works and what doesn't. 

But I believe in our Irvine teachers.  They can handle anything.  If the Common Core Standards are too low for our students they will use the extra time they have left to teach something extra.  That's what my honors and AP teachers did, one of my teachers was even California Teacher of the Year.  We always cover all the standards and with any extra time they would throw extra material at us.  That's what good teachers do.  They always change and adapt to meet the needs of the students.

Yep! said:
Hi ZeroLot, welcome to the discussion!

Unfortunately, the "Common Core" backlash should have hit TI much sooner.  Our officials metered out very little information for the longest time and only recently began communicating on this, let alone sharing any of the objections or anything from the other side of the argument.  Seems how we got Common Core in CA and in Irvine could be even more troubling than the standards themselves.

Hi Yep!

Glad to chime in.  I haven't read the CCSS standards for elementary yet.  I've been focused more on the junior high and high school standards.  To me that's when it truly matters ... since that determines the chances of my kids getting into college.

But you are right, it's a good time to start asking questions and get in the process.  As parents we should always be in the loop of what's coming for our kids.  I will have to take more time to look at the links you posted.  Thanks for sharing.

There's still a good 2 years before California dives head-first into the CCSS.  That is why the governor is withholding all API scores until California figures out the performance tests for CCSS.  It gives all schools, good and bad, a chance to get their act together (well it's more for the low performing schools).

Also the word "Common" Core does not stand for ordinary.  That is the biggest misinterpretation of common in "common core".  In education terminology, "common core" = English, math, history, and science.

So when California wants to go "Common Core" it means that ALL subjects MUST heavily revolve around all 4 common core subjects.

In the past, English teachers just taught English.  Math teachers just taught math.  Now all teachers must integrate a little bit of the 4 common core subjects into everything that they are teaching.  So now instead of teaching a single lesson, teachers now need to focus on teaching a "performance task". 

A performance task is one giant task that not only teaches a standard for a particular subject BUT also integrates other content areas into it. 

Here's a sample that's being tossed around schools for consideration:http://www.smarterbalanced.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/performance-tasks/nuclear.pdf

In that above sample performance task a student must have a good understand of:
- reading
- writing
- technology - to format charts and type an essay and to access internet links
- math - to read the pie charts
- science - to understand nuclear power
- brief historical background on energy uses in the US

==

This is what Common Core State Standards is about.  Focusing on a particular standard doesn't help the big picture.  If IUSD wants to opt out of Common Core, it wouldn't bother me.  I just want my kids to be able to think critically and problem solve outside the box. 

I don't want two kids that are great at bubbling in answer choices.  If my kids can get an A on a performance task like the one mentioned above, I'd be a very proud parent.

ZeroLot said:
adventurous said:
I personally would rather prefer not to put my kids in any kind of experimental program... Just my 0.02c

I definitely would not put my kids into anything experimental programs either.  However education is one big experimentation.  Every time a new teacher is hired that teacher takes a few years to figure things out (aka: experimentation).  Every time an experienced teacher gets a new prep/course it takes a couple years to work out the kinks (aka: experimentation). 

I know in the real/business world, it sounds bad to be part of an "experimentation".  But in schools teachers are used to it.  Every time a new textbook comes out.  Every time a new standard gets introduced.  They have to experiment with what works and what doesn't. 

But I believe in our Irvine teachers.  They can handle anything.  If the Common Core Standards are too low for our students they will use the extra time they have left to teach something extra.  That's what my honors and AP teachers did, one of my teachers was even California Teacher of the Year.  We always cover all the standards and with any extra time they would throw extra material at us.  That's what good teachers do.  They always change and adapt to meet the needs of the students.

Yep! said:
Hi ZeroLot, welcome to the discussion!

Unfortunately, the "Common Core" backlash should have hit TI much sooner.  Our officials metered out very little information for the longest time and only recently began communicating on this, let alone sharing any of the objections or anything from the other side of the argument.  Seems how we got Common Core in CA and in Irvine could be even more troubling than the standards themselves.

Hi Yep!

Glad to chime in.  I haven't read the CCSS standards for elementary yet.  I've been focused more on the junior high and high school standards.  To me that's when it truly matters ... since that determines the chances of my kids getting into college.

But you are right, it's a good time to start asking questions and get in the process.  As parents we should always be in the loop of what's coming for our kids.  I will have to take more time to look at the links you posted.  Thanks for sharing.

There's still a good 2 years before California dives head-first into the CCSS.  That is why the governor is withholding all API scores until California figures out the performance tests for CCSS.  It gives all schools, good and bad, a chance to get their act together (well it's more for the low performing schools).

Also the word "Common" Core does not stand for ordinary.  That is the biggest misinterpretation of common in "common core".  In education terminology, "common core" = English, math, history, and science.

So when California wants to go "Common Core" it means that ALL subjects MUST heavily revolve around all 4 common core subjects.

In the past, English teachers just taught English.  Math teachers just taught math.  Now all teachers must integrate a little bit of the 4 common core subjects into everything that they are teaching.  So now instead of teaching a single lesson, teachers now need to focus on teaching a "performance task". 

A performance task is one giant task that not only teaches a standard for a particular subject BUT also integrates other content areas into it. 

Here's a sample that's being tossed around schools for consideration:http://www.smarterbalanced.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/performance-tasks/nuclear.pdf

In that above sample performance task a student must have a good understand of:
- reading
- writing
- technology - to format charts and type an essay and to access internet links
- math - to read the pie charts
- science - to understand nuclear power
- brief historical background on energy uses in the US

==

This is what Common Core State Standards is about.  Focusing on a particular standard doesn't help the big picture.  If IUSD wants to opt out of Common Core, it wouldn't bother me.  I just want my kids to be able to think critically and problem solve outside the box. 

I don't want two kids that are great at bubbling in answer choices.  If my kids can get an A on a performance task like the one mentioned above, I'd be a very proud parent.

In the business world, someone would probably be fired for completely throwing out an entire strategy that has been working for 13 years in favor of a new and experimental program which costs more to implement and will not see results for many years. 

Again, Algebra I (shown to be critical for college success) will now move from 8th grade to 9th grade under Common Core and Calculus is not even included in Common Core.

We also need many answers regarding the collection of our children's data, what is being sent into the CALPADS database, what will be collected in the future, how this may be accessed and used by outside parties, etc.  As far as we can tell, parents have not been informed about any of this by IUSD.

This conversation needs to happen in town halls and public forums where both sides of the issues are presented and parents are able to voice their opinions and have a say.

Yep! said:
In the business world, someone would probably be fired for completely throwing out an entire strategy that has been working for 13 years in favor of a new and experimental program which costs more to implement and will not see results for many years. 
In the public sector, the Board of Directors will fire any CEO for doing that. In the private sector, the owner is the God and Duke.
Yep! said:
Again, Algebra I (shown to be critical for college success) will now move from 8th grade to 9th grade under Common Core and Calculus is not even included in Common Core.
I would really understand this strategy implemented in some ... hm.... not very sophisticated school districts... You know those....
Yep! said:
We also need many answers regarding the collection of our children's data, what is being sent into the CALPADS database, what will be collected in the future, how this may be accessed and used by outside parties, etc.  As far as we can tell, parents have not been informed about any of this by IUSD.
As a parent, I didn't give my permission to disclose ANY information about my kid, expect photos on the school teams. If I find ANY personal information revealed. Well, someone from IUSD will be explaining it in the court of law.
Yep! said:
This conversation needs to happen in town halls and public forums where both sides of the issues are presented and parents are able to voice their opinions and have a say.

It was you speaking up at the Board on 15th, right?

Yep! said:

That is absolutely not true.  Business have to constantly innovate or else they get left behind.  Go ask Apple, Blackberry, Microsoft, or GM how sitting on your laurels is working out.  Education is continuously changing and with new demands.  The last set of standards were implemented in 1997...it's time for an update.

Yep! said:

You think the test data that is in place now is not being used and analyzed?  How do you thin API scores and school ratings are made? 

CALPADS is not something crazy...it's just replaces the old system:

The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application called CBEDS-ORA. The purpose of CBEDS is to collect information on student and staff demographics. There are two separate forms used to collect these data. The County/District Information Form (CDIF) is used to collect data specific to district and county offices on the number of classified staff, estimated number of teacher hires, and high school graduation requirements. The School Information Form (SIF) is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, select educational options enrollment, technology, education calendars, parental exception waivers, bilingual paraprofessionals, truancy, and school improvement grant information. Student aggregate counts (graduates, dropouts, and various enrollment counts) previously collected on the SIF and certificated staff data previously collected on the Professional Assignment Information Form (PAIF) have been transitioned to the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS).
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/dc/cb/

Irvinecommuter said:
That is absolutely not true.  Business have to constantly innovate or else they get left behind.  Go ask Apple, Blackberry, Microsoft, or GM how sitting on your laurels is working out.  Education is continuously changing and with new demands.  The last set of standards were implemented in 1997...it's time for an update.

Glad we agree that Common Core is new and experimental.  We also agree "it's time for an update".  But what makes you think so?  What data shows it is not working in Irvine?  It doesn't.  In fact, the opposite, our college-readiness is already outstanding (what Common Core is supposed to somehow make better).  "Update" does not = Common Core... that means going backwards and hitting the big "reset" button.  An update, though, SHOULD be considered as an alternative.

At the same time, you are pretty far off base here.  I have a bit of experience in this area.  Never would a successful company completely throw out their only and most successful product line in favor of a new, unproven, experimental product, simply because they get a sweetened no-bid contract offer from an outside vendor to manage it for them.  The best companies innovate and improve, but they do not foolishly throw out everything that is working for something experimental and already known to be not as good, especially without thoroughly surveying their customers (esp. parents, in the case of Common Core) and testing it in a few markets first.

In fact, with Common Core, we are throwing out local innovation happening in the states and local school boards, in favor of a "one-size-fits-all" approach coming from lobbyists groups in Washington D.C.  This also discounts the smart folks we have in our own state and local schools to come up with our own set of rigorous standards.  California and Massachusetts innovated and came up with standards, systems and quality that led to some of the best standards and schools in the nation.  Listen to one of those innovators, Dr. Sandra Stotsky from Massachusetts or Dr. Bill Evers from California.  Both helped create the top standards in MA and CA and both are opposed to Common Core. 

But we are talking about kids, not iPhones.  We should NOT be experimenting on our kids and the future of education in this country.  If Bill Gates wants to experiment, let him do it by creating a good Windows smartphone.  Not with education for an entire generation of our children.  And NOT without parents having any input and public debate.

Irvinecommuter said:
You think the test data that is in place now is not being used and analyzed?  How do you thin API scores and school ratings are made? 
CALPADS is not something crazy...it's just replaces the old system:

Again, not correct.  CALPADS is no longer just about annual standardized test data and "federal reporting requirements."  It certainly was not developed with much public input or awareness (if any).  We never heard of CALPADS until about a couple weeks ago, even though it has now been collecting data on our kids for 3+ years now and has been in the works for years.  It is part of the larger Common Core plan to capture LOTS of data on our kids, from pre-K to 12, throughout the entire school year and not just on annual tests.  It started with No Child Left Behind (Common Core light) and is now being fully realized with Common Core (full).  Each state in Common Core is doing this with the idea that they can then link standards, scores and lots of data across INTERSTATE "longitudinal" databases. 

There are about 1,000 data elements (including health, religious affiliation, etc) "suggested" as part of Common Core.  California had the sense to reject some of those data elements, but what happens when California falls in line with Common Core and starts to collect those too? 

In 2008 and 2011, the federal department of education (without Congressional approval and possibly unconstitutionally) unilaterally "amended" the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to reduce parental rights and protections and to give more access to all kinds of student data to outside contractors, paving the way for Common Core and, for California, CALPADS. 

Seemingly inconsistent with FERPA, you also cannot inspect the data on your child that resides in CALPADS.  It seems you may only ask your local school to see your child's records (a FERPA right, so we should make sure these records are accurate).  But if we are not allowed to inspect our child's CALPADS data records, how do we know if this matches the data at the school?  Government folks, school officials and others can see your kid's CALPADS data, but parents cannot, it seems. 

By the way, CALPADS also comes with with CALTIDES (the teacher version of CALPADS) where the statute "authorize(s) data... to be used by local educational agencies for purposes of evaluating teachers and administrators and making employment decisions..." (SBX5 1)  Though I do not know what subsequent deals may have limited or delayed use of this.

This also comes from the same SBX5 1 law that brought Common Core to California (emphasis added):  "Create robust data systems linking prekindergarten, K-12, higher education and workforce data to measure student success, improve instruction and student learning, and inform teachers, principals, students, policymakers, and the public of school performance." SEC 1(d)

It's right there in CA law enacted in 2010---they want a "cradle to grave" data mining system... linking pre-kindergarten, K-12, college and WORKFORCE data, based on a Student ID number (SSID) all in one place with growing access by an increasing number of databases, organizations and individuals, with the federal DOE amendments and Common Core helping to pave the way.

This is in perfect "alignment with Common Core."

Parents, please do the research and ask questions and let your opinions be heard.  Again, it seems you cannot opt your child out of CALPADS or their SSID.  Your child's identifying number (SSID) stays with them pretty much forever, it seems.  California state colleges already collect the SSID on college applications and guessing so employers will soon as well. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Yep! said:

Thank you, Irvinecommunter.  Private sector changes directions at the drop of a hat.  Sitting on your laurels is how we get our butts kicked by new innovative companies.  The old "No Child Left Behind" standards are NOT working.  That is why education is changing to "Common Core State Standards".

Irvine does NOT represent the rest of California.  We are very different and pretty much any standards will work here.  We have GREAT teachers with GREAT kids.  Which is why Irvine will succeed no matter what standards are thrown at it.

But there is a bigger picture here.  CCSS is for ALL of California.  Look at LA County.  Are you suggesting that the old standards are working there?? 

We can't use Irvine as the measuring stick for CHANGES in education.  It's not fair to all the other schools that are STUCK in PI "program improvement" for over a decade.  Oh and there are schools in Saddleback Unified that are in program improvement as well.  Go figure.

Yep! said:
Glad we agree that Common Core is new and experimental.  We also agree "it's time for an update".  But what makes you think so?  What data shows it is not working in Irvine?  It doesn't.  In fact, the opposite, our college-readiness is already outstanding (what Common Core is supposed to somehow make better).  "Update" does not = Common Core... that means going backwards and hitting the big "reset" button.  An update, though, SHOULD be considered as an alternative.

I see no reason to fear a "reset" button as you call it.  It's like a teacher giving a multiple choice exam on Abraham Lincoln one week.  Then next week that teacher gives an essay exam on Abraham Lincoln.  It happens all the time in education.  It's different ways of assessing students.

Sure the students who ACED the multiple choice may not be happy with an essay exam.  But if the student is truly an A student then he/she has nothing to fear.  If the student really understands the content and concept it doesn't matter what format the test is in.

I see no reason to be overly concerned over a new test.  Irvine is always ahead of the curve. 

I did one of the practice tests for Math for 11th grade.  It didn't provide the answers at the end so I'm not sure how they're doing the scoring, and I'd be curious to find out.

One question that I remember was 'There is a lottery and the winners evenly split a $1000 prize.  There are X winners. When an additional winner comes forward,  each winner's prize is reduced $50.  Write an equation that can be used to solve for X.'  Then you get a blank equation line and an equation writer.

A second question involved the graph of a flight of a ball.  Then five equations and picking the one that was thrown from an initially lower height but rose to a higher maximum height.  Then placing two dots on the chart to show the initial height and max height.    I went through and solved all the equations to make sure since the solutions didn't fall on the grid lines.  They would fall on one grid line and then corresponding value would be off grid line.  i.e  the max height was at 2.5 seconds (on grid for time), but not on grid for height. (or maybe I made a math mistake, but I don't think so)

So as long as they recognize all the formats of the equation, it should be good.  Just like the current set of tests, knowing how they score and if you need to simplify answers will be a massive time savings.

Overall I thought the test was very good and would be much harder to do via process of elimination.

Fortunately, the tests put out by the Smarter Balanced cartel are designed for our kids, not us.

Unfortunately, we are getting these tests through a process that has been essentially a sweetened, no-bid contract agreed to without seeing the tests and without any prior input from parents or teachers.  The tests are unproven and up to FOUR TIMES more expensive per student to administer after all is said and done.  Wonder if that will give us 4x the results vs. an updated STAR test? 

Also, if your kid gets something wrong because of a poorly worded question or because the human grader (we need a lot more of these with Common Core) made a mistake, you'll never really know and/or you will have no recourse.

Imagine what an equivalent 11th grade math test looks like in places like Singapore.  Imagine what the STAR test would look like with same billions of dollars of taxpayer money invested in it.

By the way, the Washington DC lobby groups who created Common Core also own the copyright on Common Core standards--schools and states can never change them.

Common Core standards are missing a big chunk of Algebra II and is also missing trigonometry, statistics, pre-Calculus and Calculus, which is what selective colleges say are truly needed to be "college ready."  Even the author of the Common Core math standards admitted, Common Core math only prepares kids for community colleges and non-selective state colleges.  It doesn't have the rigor that many Irvine kids will want/need for the selective four year colleges many continue on to.

This what happens when you need to water down the standards and the tests to a national, one-size-fits-all approach.

And you want to help your kids with homework?  Good luck under some of the stuff in Common Core.  For example, it uses an experimental form of geometry that hasn't been successfully used in any classroom, in any district, in any country in the world... ever.  Communist Russia tried it, it failed, they abandoned it.  Yet now, it's being pushed by the Washington D.C. "education elite" into EVERY classroom in America (at least the ones in states that took the federal money bait).

Parents won't have a clue how to help their kids with some of this stuff, even in earlier school years.  Don't just take our word for it, just watch how this is already playing out in your school.  See for yourself if you feel more or less able to help your kids in their homework.

More than 20 of the states that initially signed the OK on Common Core just to go after the federal money (race to the top) all have movements underway, in legislatures or in local districts, to back out of Common Core.  Some of have already backed out of portions of it.  This is only after the parents finally became aware of what is going on and demanded a reversal of this federal experiment.  We are now at that place in California and, hopefully, now in Irvine. 

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I am not smarter than an 11th grader.

I dread the day when my daughter comes to me for help with homework and I'm going to have resort to the Internet  :eek:

Oh don't say that!  You make me feel old!  I got 2 daughters...  :-\

Yep! said:
For example, it uses an experimental form of geometry that hasn't been successfully used in any classroom, in any district, in any country in the world... ever.  Communist Russia tried it, it failed, they abandoned it.
Out of curiosity, what form of Geometry are you talking about?

adventurous said:
Yep! said:
For example, it uses an experimental form of geometry that hasn't been successfully used in any classroom, in any district, in any country in the world... ever.  USSR tried it, it failed, they abandoned it.
Out of curiosity, what form of Geometry are you talking about?

It's just one example of an untested and age-inappropriate standard in Common Core.  It is related to methods and algorithms for proving similar and congruent triangles.

Currently (and for a long time), this method is taught in high schools using ?Side-Angle-Side? and ?Angle-Side-Angle."  Parents can find examples of all over the internet.  When it hits the ?Dummies? series, pretty good bet that it is widely used:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-the-sideangleside-method-to-prove-triangles-.html
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-the-angleangleside-method-to-prove-triangles.html

The new Common Core method, never successfully used in K-12 schools, is sometimes called the "rigid motion" algorithm.  It relates to isometric (distance preserving) transformations of drawings, such as triangles, using things like glass plates, or perhaps via computer models.  It?s something that advanced math geeks may learn in college.

A mathematician in the Soviet Union named Andrei Kolmogorov ~50 years ago thought it could be used in high schools.  This was an idea one of his admitted math geek fans later described as ??unsuitable for acceptance into mass schools. (And not only they would not be accepted for years to come, but, perhaps, forever).?

It seems forever has arrived. 

On its own, this one experimental new standard tested for a couple years with sample schools may not be a big deal.  Fine.  But when entire state standards used with tens of millions of kids for more than a decade are completely thrown out in favor of all new ones all at once, we might expect more than a minor disruption in learning for years to come.  Just look at the mess in New York State right now where they are a year ahead of CA in launching Common Core.  Unfortunately, their kids (and soon our kids) suffer in the process.

Back