Columbus Grove: why live there

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

as long one is not bothered by the ridicules when their kids will be humiliated by living on the wrong size of the track. The culture is Irvine is all about brandings and matching up with the Joneses</blockquote>

That doesn't make sense. There are million dollar homes in CG and there are POS weird ass condos in woodbury. Living in one 'neighborhood or the other' doesn't matter to kids.

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1221617287][quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

as long one is not bothered by the ridicules when their kids will be humiliated by living on the wrong size of the track. The culture is Irvine is all about brandings and matching up with the Joneses</blockquote>

That doesn't make sense. There are million dollar homes in CG and there are POS weird ass condos in woodbury. Living in one 'neighborhood or the other' doesn't matter to kids.</blockquote>
Bobby: Hey check out my huge house, I have a giant playroom and my room has its own potty!

Freddie: But you also have a $9k Mello Roos, land toxicity, a poorly planned neighborhood and you live in Tustin.

Bobby: I'm telling my daddy!

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221620169][quote author="25w100k+" date=1221617287][quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

That doesn't make sense. There are million dollar homes in CG and there are POS weird ass condos in woodbury. Living in one 'neighborhood or the other' doesn't matter to kids.</blockquote>
Bobby: Hey check out my huge house, I have a giant playroom and my room has its own potty!

Freddie: But you also have a $9k Mello Roos, land toxicity, a poorly planned neighborhood and you live in Tustin.

Bobby: I'm telling my daddy!</blockquote>

That is funny but so true. Even Shady Canyon has the Irvine side and Newport side. The West side of the golfcourse are the Elites while the Irvine side with several production projects tainted the purity of being all super rich. People compare their bags, cars, homes, neighborhoods, kids' school, kids' grades, kids' college admissions, and everything else. Get real !! The culture of Irvine and Newport is contagious. Status is everything. I made a living from studying this and it is not going away. The sense of feeling like second class in Columbus one will eventually move just like West Irvinites upgrading to another neighborhood.

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1221617287][quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

It does when they get to live in WB and have access to the killer pool with kid water park area... My 4-year old already has envy for his 5-year old friend that lives in Villa Rosa. She gets to go to that pool all the time during the summer and he doesn't. I tell him, "You want a water park? I'll turn on the sprinklers for you and you can run around in the backyard..."

There are $1million homes in RSM also and tell me about the perception of RSM. In Floral Park there are $2.5-3.5 million homes there also but tell me about the perception of Santa Ana. The same applies to Aliso Viejo and Columbus. It is all in the branding.

When Rancho Mission Viejo had its Olympic coach and team by in its hey days of the 70's and 80's, everyone bragged about its athletic superiority and buyers flocked to MV. When they lost their sport they lost their reputation. The spotlight has shifted to Novaquatic of Irvine. You will see many youngster following the footsteps of many Irvine Olympian swimmers. Did you read my post from last year about sport champion strategy in master planned communities? Even Ipo's kid learned early about who has a bigger pool.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221624270][quote author="25w100k+" date=1221617287][quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

It does when they get to live in WB and have access to the killer pool with kid water park area... My 4-year old already has envy for his 5-year old friend that lives in Villa Rosa. She gets to go to that pool all the time during the summer and he doesn't. I tell him, "You want a water park? I'll turn on the sprinklers for you and you can run around in the backyard..."</blockquote>

CS will be the envy of all when the two-mile long linear park is complete.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml">http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml</a>

I guess I care more about the public schools than the neighborhoods. For instance, Villa Park is an elite neighborhood. But Villa Park High has a lot of students from the neighboring Orange area. So the high school is not so great. But then again, the school is not so bad either. I think I have a middle class mentality. I just want everything to be decent. For instance, I wouldn't want to live around Orange High because I know the kids around there aren't too well-behaved. But then again, I wouldn't really care to live around the affluence of Corona del Mar High either. Maybe if I was richer, I would think differently. Maybe people tend to associate with others that are similar to them in class. The wealthy might prefer to be with all wealthy people. I may not be wealthy, but I still wouldn't want to raise a family in Santa Ana, Anaheim, or Garden Grove. And I do want to raise a family in Irvine or Huntington. But maybe if I was rich, I would only want to stay in Newport.

Heck, I live in Tustin, but I tell people I live by Irvine. Tustin, in general, is not a prominent city. But it's not like I live in the bad parts of Tustin. I have friends who live in Tustin Ranch. And they would only say they live in Tustin Ranch. They would never just say Tustin.

I like being someone in the middle. I hate to be poor, but I don't need to be rich.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221624270]

My 4-year old already has envy for his 5-year old friend that lives in Villa Rosa. She gets to go to that pool all the time during the summer and he doesn't. I tell him, "You want a water park? I'll turn on the sprinklers for you and you can run around in the backyard..."</blockquote>

Something tells me you?re not kidding about turning on the sprinklers.

That is so wrong Ipop.

Hopefully, he takes after the wife and didn?t inherit your low self-esteem.

i've been looking for this...thanks

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221625766]

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml">http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml</a></blockquote>

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221625766][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221624270][quote author="25w100k+" date=1221617287][quote author="bkshopr" date=1221614375]

It does when they get to live in WB and have access to the killer pool with kid water park area... My 4-year old already has envy for his 5-year old friend that lives in Villa Rosa. She gets to go to that pool all the time during the summer and he doesn't. I tell him, "You want a water park? I'll turn on the sprinklers for you and you can run around in the backyard..."</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml">http://www.ocregister.com/community/tustin_news/legacy/110404tu_legacy.shtml</a></blockquote>

Do you remember the drainage canal next to Oakcreek? Most master planned neighborhoods have set aside an area for water retension basin to collect and store overflow water from heavy rain storm and slowly allowing the water to dissipate into reclaim and storm drain channels.

This area of the 2 mile linear park is a glorified water retension basin. Water retension is a requirement. Due to the flatness of the base severe flooding was a concern. The linear park is a good way in disguising a drainage ditch. The diagonal linear park is acting as a good buffer between residential, retail and business commecials. The diagonal location bisects the entire base into 2 equal halves thus allowing for equal water distribution and collection.

Shea and Centex had to do it because of the hydrology requirements.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1221626052]I guess I care more about the public schools than the neighborhoods. For instance, Villa Park is an elite neighborhood. But Villa Park High has a lot of students from the neighboring Orange area. So the high school is not so great. But then again, the school is not so bad either. I think I have a middle class mentality. I just want everything to be decent. For instance, I wouldn't want to live around Orange High because I know the kids around there aren't too well-behaved. But then again, I wouldn't really care to live around the affluence of Corona del Mar High either. Maybe if I was richer, I would think differently. Maybe people tend to associate with others that are similar to them in class. The wealthy might prefer to be with all wealthy people. I may not be wealthy, but I still wouldn't want to raise a family in Santa Ana, Anaheim, or Garden Grove. And I do want to raise a family in Irvine or Huntington. But maybe if I was rich, I would only want to stay in Newport.

Heck, I live in Tustin, but I tell people I live by Irvine. Tustin, in general, is not a prominent city. But it's not like I live in the bad parts of Tustin. I have friends who live in Tustin Ranch. And they would only say they live in Tustin Ranch. They would never just say Tustin.

I like being someone in the middle. I hate to be poor, but I don't need to be rich.</blockquote>

Residents living in Tustin will say I live in Irvine. Tustin Ranch was developed by TIC during the 80's and the branding still exists. This is a classic response when residents are not proud of their village.

All the rich kids attend school in Santa Ana's Mater Dei.

So that's what all those gigantic ramps they are grading over near the District are... the pedestrian bridges.

I wonder when they're gonna demo the other hangar... that's going to be a big dust cloud that people won't be too happy about.

Drainage ditch or not... I like that whole linear park idea... even if it is as a disguise.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221627925]So that's what all those gigantic ramps they are grading over near the District are... the pedestrian bridges.

I wonder when they're gonna demo the other hangar... that's going to be a big dust cloud that people won't be too happy about.

Drainage ditch or not... I like that whole linear park idea... even if it is as a disguise.</blockquote>

I agree. Irvine Home Owner, do you live in VOC?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221627925]So that's what all those gigantic ramps they are grading over near the District are... the pedestrian bridges.

Drainage ditch or not... I like that whole linear park idea... even if it is as a disguise.</blockquote>

The big pile of dirt mound is the Tustin Ranch Road extension. Cannot wait til thats done so I have more than just Jamboree to get over to that side :)

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1221629304][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221627925]So that's what all those gigantic ramps they are grading over near the District are... the pedestrian bridges.

The big pile of dirt mound is the Tustin Ranch Road extension. Cannot wait til thats done so I have more than just Jamboree to get over to that side :)</blockquote>

That is correct. All the traffic currently from the Irvine business parks will be via Von Karman going straight through VOC and bridge over the railroad tracks to become Tustin Ranch Road.

Vestar has done a pretty good job with the District.

I?ve been going to the restaurants and theater there more and more.

The shops could be better though.

mmmm Lucilles, any other recommendations there? So far I have just had Lucilles and the Winery (not a fan) over there. I had a few friends that went to JT schmidts, said that was okay. Movie theatres are never crowded, so thats always a plus compared to the Spectrum and Market Place. I dont think I've ever gone in a shop there outside the bookstore.

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1221629755]Vestar has done a pretty good job with the District.

I?ve been going to the restaurants and theater there more and more.

The shops could be better though.</blockquote>

The little retail/theatre main street lacks interest. a nicer one with similar scale is the Garden Walks in Anaheim on Katella.

I live in Irvine... not Tustin Ranch, Tustin or VOC-Tustin... hence my screen name (did that come out snotty?).

And I'm not talking about the big gigantor ramp next to Edinger... I know that's the Tustin Ranch Road overpass so you can get to Tustin Legacy straight off the 5.

If you are on Barranca just east of the District or even on the Tustin Ranch/Von Karman road that goes behind the District, you can see these huge dirt overpass structures that seem to fall into the same area as the map for the Linear Park and the pedestrian bridges. I wondered what those were since I didn't think there would be a need for auto traffic... and now it makes more sense.

As for Vestar doing a pretty good job with the District... I like the mix of shops/restaurants/etc... but their traffic design was HORRIBLE. They put the busiest part of it near a 2-lane entrance that has not 1 but 2 pedestrian walkways (those should have been bridges) and getting in and out of the Costco/Whole Foods/Best Buy area is redic. I read where a Vestar rep claimed that the main entrance was supposed to be the TR/VK street behind the District but that makes zero sense since most of the high-traffic areas or west of the other poorly designed entrance.

I don't envy the traffic guy's job during lunch and pedestrians beware as many cars won't stop for you on the southmost crosswalk.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1221630476]I live in Irvine... not Tustin Ranch, Tustin or VOC-Tustin... hence my screen name (did that come out snotty?).

And I'm not talking about the big gigantor ramp next to Edinger... I know that's the Tustin Ranch Road overpass so you can get to Tustin Legacy straight off the 5.

If you are on Barranca just east of the District or even on the Tustin Ranch/Von Karman road that goes behind the District, you can see these huge dirt overpass structures that seem to fall into the same area as the map for the Linear Park and the pedestrian bridges. I wondered what those were since I didn't think there would be a need for auto traffic... and now it makes more sense.

As for Vestar doing a pretty good job with the District... I like the mix of shops/restaurants/etc... but their traffic design was HORRIBLE. They put the busiest part of it near a 2-lane entrance that has not 1 but 2 pedestrian walkways (those should have been bridges) and getting in and out of the Costco/Whole Foods/Best Buy area is redic. I read where a Vestar rep claimed that the main entrance was supposed to be the TR/VK street behind the District but that makes zero sense since most of the high-traffic areas or west of the other poorly designed entrance.

I don't envy the traffic guy's job during lunch and pedestrians beware as many cars won't stop for you on the southmost crosswalk.</blockquote>

The parking lot circulation is a nightmare. It is by far the most twisted with turns and short aisles. They made big mistakes by not flanking the entrance point to the Theatre Promenade with anchor restaurants that has the outside bars and patio dinings. Isolating the restaurant to pads helps the restaurant monopolize the sphere of influence in parking. A better example is the Garden Walk in Anaheim with similar scale the pedestrian promenade portal are two flanking anchor restaurants with outside patio dining and bars. Seeing people at the outside patios of PF Chang and McCormick is the biggest draw for an entry. Guys were salivating over the women siting by the outside bars. People like to watch people and people love to be seen are the 2 cardinal rules in retail or hotel design.

Back