Columbus Grove: why live there

frank69m_IHB

Back a few weeks ago, I took a look at some Columbus Grove homes. Specifically, the one on Honeybee with the huge huge yard and the city of Tustin.

One big thing, why would anyone buy a house in this area? Just wondering for those who did...why?

1) Tax rate including melaroos is 1.9%...holy cow and you aren't even in Irvine

2) Wasn't this a former Marine base? The land that is.

3) You are so close to Jamboree. I can see it right outside one of the other homes I saw. Window right there. You get dust.

[quote author="frank69m" date=1221247840]Back a few weeks ago, I took a look at some Columbus Grove homes. Specifically, the one on Honeybee with the huge huge yard and the city of Tustin.

One big thing, why would anyone buy a house in this area? Just wondering for those who did...why?

1) Tax rate including melaroos is 1.9%...holy cow and you aren't even in Irvine

2) Wasn't this a former Marine base? The land that is.

3) You are so close to Jamboree. I can see it right outside one of the other homes I saw. Window right there. You get dust.</blockquote>

Your list is more like why wouldn't/shouldn't they buy in this area...

4) You are so close to Harvard as well which is pretty well-traveled.

5) Power lines

6) Waste management station

7) Bubble purchasing owners are all under water now so the rate of foreclosures is/will be especially high for this area putting more pressure on prices

Other than real estate being overpriced in general, I would like to live at Columbus Grove because:

1. It's centrally located. Whether it's in Tustin or Irvine is a non-issue.

2. New homes are cool.

3. Being close to Jamboree means being close to stores, shops, and restaurants. In other metropolitans, being on a major street is a major plus.

4. Harvard has a good bike trail.

5. If you guys want a quiet, desolate place to live... I recommend moving to Apple Valley or Barstow.

Although I think Woodbury is a much nicer looking community, I definitely prefers Columbus Grove's location.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1221263702]Other than real estate being overpriced in general, I would like to live at Columbus Grove because:

Although I think Woodbury is a much nicer looking community, I definitely prefers Columbus Grove's location.</blockquote>

Woodbury is a nice master planned community. WB does kind of seem far away from things, but we're really only talking a couple of exits on the 5 though. Columbus Grove is a collection of new/newer housing units slapped on to some spare toxic land...

I'll play the pro side since it's easier to be negative:

1. Ciara has one of the lowest per sft costs and the biggest floor plans in this area (4000+sft)

2. Columbus Grove is Irvine School District

3. Many cul-de-sac type streets

4. New?!?

5. Nice community center

6. Centrally located near the new District Shopping center and just south of Irvine/Tustin Marketplace

But yeah, being on the former marine base is questionable as is the proximity of the drain, dump, concrete smasher, powerlines, Jamboree and flight path into John Wayne airport.

The special assessments and Mello Roos taxes are ridiculously high which cancels out the whole big square footage cost of Ciara ($9000 per year!).

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221268263][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1221263702]Other than real estate being overpriced in general, I would like to live at Columbus Grove because:

Although I think Woodbury is a much nicer looking community, I definitely prefers Columbus Grove's location.</blockquote>

Woodbury is a nice master planned community. WB does kind of seem far away from things, but we're really only talking a couple of exits on the 5 though. Columbus Grove is a collection of new/newer housing units slapped on to some spare toxic land...</blockquote>

Dead on accurate.

Harvard & Barranca versus Jeffrey & Trabuco.

H&B is close to the airport and the adjacent business districts. It's close to Jamboree and all the new shops and developments (such as the Diamond Jamboree Plaza and the District).

It's next to the well established neighborhoods of Westpark and Woodbridge. It's not to far from UCI and the bike trails.

J&T is next too... ummm... 99 Ranch on Walnut?

Woodbury is very residential. It's great for families. Columbus Grove is closer to work and entertainment. I guess it just depends on what stage of life you are in. Between the age of 0 and 20, I think either neighborhoods is nice. But between 20-40, I can see why CG is better. But maybe when you're 40+, you'll see the value of Woodbury.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1221270271]Harvard & Barranca versus Jeffrey & Trabuco.

H&B is close to the airport and the adjacent business districts. It's close to Jamboree and all the new shops and developments (such as the Diamond Jamboree Plaza and the District).

It's next to the well established neighborhoods of Westpark and Woodbridge. It's not to far from UCI and the bike trails.

Woodbury is very residential. It's great for families. Columbus Grove is closer to work and entertainment. I guess it just depends on what stage of life you are in. Between the age of 0 and 20, I think either neighborhoods is nice. But between 20-40, I can see why CG is better. But maybe when you're 40+, you'll see the value of Woodbury.</blockquote>

Driving the extra 10 miles is WORTH it IMHO.

Why would you want to live next to the former Marine Base? Beautiful views of the Power Lines? Higher Melo Roos and a very very PICKY HOA which Tows all the time?

I am very familiar with both and Woodbury/Northwood wins hands down! Plus there is a very new shopping center off of Irvine Blvd and Sand Canyon. Plus you can always drive down Jefferey for about 5 miles and hit the 99 ranch market and Sam Woo.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1221270271]Harvard & Barranca versus Jeffrey & Trabuco.

Woodbury is very residential. It's great for families. Columbus Grove is closer to work and entertainment. I guess it just depends on what stage of life you are in. Between the age of 0 and 20, I think either neighborhoods is nice. But between 20-40, I can see why CG is better. But maybe when you're 40+, you'll see the value of Woodbury.</blockquote>

So WB is great for families but for between 20-40 CG is better? Aren't most people raising young kids during this age range? I think the average age for first time mothers is around 27-28 years old...

I know my kids love the pools and water play area at WB. They also love parks and WB has like 18 of them. CG has two open parks, both small and sub-standard in terms of play equipment. Heck, there is more play stuff at Settlers Park in OH than at the two CG parks combined I think. It's sad how little money they spent on parks and open space at CG.

WB also has its own elementary school, so the kids can walk/be walked without having to cross major streets. Kids at CG have to go to elementary school over in Woodbridge... In a year or two, WB will have its own junior high too. The CG kids will have to go to school over in Woodbridge still.

I think CG may be better for young couples without kids, maybe ones that still go out a lot and such. Easier access to freeways from CG and the traffic from Jambo, Harvard, Barranca, and the airplanes landing will serve as good white noise for their keggers...

Ultimately the transaction prices tell the story about one neighborhood vs. another. 2800sf Alexandria units are selling today for around $800K when a comparably sized Villa Rosa home goes for north of $1M still. At the bubble's peak, they were selling for around the same price... CG isn't holding up well because relative to many Irvine neighbors, it is less worthwhile. The almighty votes by buyer dollars tell that story well.

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221274933]WB costs more than CG.</blockquote>

My point exactly. It costs more because it is more highly demanded. It is more highly demanded because its considerably better...

I have seen enough production home communities in my lifetime to draw very accurate predictions. I would not write a novel to explain it. Homes in Woodbury will retain RE value and climb quicker when the housing market recovers than Columbus Grove. If one plans on living at Columbus Grove forever and do not need to sell then Columbus Grove is the best value deal to live in Irvine.

Buying in Columbus Grove is like buying a Ford Focus for the purpose of getting from point A to point B. It serves the purpose of transportation. Then why are there more Lexus, BMWs, and Mercedes here in Irvine than any where in the world because of brand. The same would apply for neighborhoods as well so the same group driving status cars would likely purchase in Woodbury.

Resale for the Ford Focus is not the same as a Lexus. The same will apply to Columbus Grove and Woodbury. The Ford Focus has pretty basic functions and sufficient for basic transportation just like Columbus Grove serving the purpose of living with basic neighborhood amenities such as minimal parks, 5 gallon trees, clubhouse, recreation center, and no theme monumentations.

Lexus has all the electronic gadgets, GPS, rear camera, auto climate control, and etc. Similar to Woodbury the neighborhood amenities are the luxuries that define the class level of the place by having aquatic center, theme pocket parks, 1/2 million dollar each for the brick monumentation towers, theme walls with trellis and wood arbors, expensive 20' box trees, themed bus shelters, and the list just goes on and on.

I am not here to sell the Irvine Company projects but simple making a comparison that most laymen can't see. In term of design TIC nailed their planning to a science while Columbus projects named after our space exploration program failed the first time and took many decades to finally getting it in orbit.

I am a straight shooter and say what is in my mind. I have criticized some TIC projects in the past as well. I am not taking any side. Being impartial is why IHB is successful. It represents the voice of people and experts knowing the field of housing.

BK - If you're saying CG is a Ford S, then WB is a Ford SE, not a mercedes. I know you're trying to make a point, but make it a point to realize that both are brand new and right here in IRVINE/SOUTHERN CAL and the rest of the nation has better and worst places to live. There are mercedes neighborhood out there, but it's not in IRVINE.

I like the fact that people choose different neighborhoods. Like IPO said, it's probably due to $, but sometimes it's also preference. Having differences is GOOD or else we would be fighting for the same neighborhood and guess what that does to the pricing?

What a lame thread and I'm commenting on it...LOL!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221275715][quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221274933]WB costs more than CG.</blockquote>

My point exactly. It costs more because it is more highly demanded. It is more highly demanded because its considerably better...</blockquote>

Exactly. You get what you pay for. The problem I see here is people want first class for the price of coach. Even poor people have a sense of entitlement. Amazing.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221275715][quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221274933]WB costs more than CG.</blockquote>

My point exactly. It costs more because it is more highly demanded. It is more highly demanded because its considerably better...</blockquote>

This may be true, but the prices to date have dropped more in CG because the builder drove prices down in an effort to exit the project. TIC effectively stopped construction in most of its communities in an effort to blunt the decline in prices. IMO, they have simply delayed the inevitable. I believe CG will have valuations on par with Westpark in 5 years, perhaps with a slight discount.

[quote author="rickhunter" date=1221278382]BK - If you're saying CG is a Ford S, then WB is a Ford SE, not a mercedes. I know you're trying to make a point, but make it a point to realize that both are brand new and right here in IRVINE/SOUTHERN CAL and the rest of the nation has better and worst places to live. There are mercedes neighborhood out there, but it's not in IRVINE.

I like the fact that people choose different neighborhoods. Like IPO said, it's probably due to $, but sometimes it's also preference. Having differences is GOOD or else we would be fighting for the same neighborhood and guess what that does to the pricing?

What a lame thread and I'm commenting on it...LOL!</blockquote>

In 40 years, CG as to Woodbury will be much like El Camino is to Woodbridge...

[quote author="frank69m" date=1221247840]Just wondering for those who did...why?</blockquote>

The homeless shelters were full, and I got tired of the bus stops. I figured "Hey, toxic waste dump - no problem" right?

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1221279545][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1221275715][quote author="asianinvasian" date=1221274933]WB costs more than CG.</blockquote>

This may be true, but the prices to date have dropped more in CG because the builder drove prices down in an effort to exit the project. TIC effectively stopped construction in most of its communities in an effort to blunt the decline in prices. IMO, they have simply delayed the inevitable. I believe CG will have valuations on par with Westpark in 5 years, perhaps with a slight discount.</blockquote>

True, the price drops in Lantana, Westbourne, etc. as the bubble started bursting have killed values there. I think CG will continue to trade at a discount to Westpark (I guess I am thinking of Westpark II, the newest Westpark, whatever it is) due to much higher MRs, less desirable location, etc. Westpark has Plaza Vista. Lack of neighborhood school will hurt CG. Not sure why those kids don't go to PV Elem anyway. Much closer than Stone Creek.

Something interesting that was told to me by a salesperson at WB... any type of widescale price adjustment for a development has to be approved by The Irvine Company. What this means is that they really can't lower the sales price of their homes all that much but they can kick it back in incentives or financing.

Whereas in CG, the salespeople were willing to knock $200k off the prices of homes and still offer incentives.

Is this true? Does the mere fact of being in a non-TIC development give the builder more leeway on pricing?

[quote author="rickhunter" date=1221278382]BK - If you're saying CG is a Ford S, then WB is a Ford SE, not a mercedes. I know you're trying to make a point, but make it a point to realize that both are brand new and right here in IRVINE/SOUTHERN CAL and the rest of the nation has better and worst places to live. There are mercedes neighborhood out there, but it's not in IRVINE.

What a lame thread and I'm commenting on it...LOL!</blockquote>

Point is well taken. I did not use Mercedes as the analogy to Woodbury. I chose Lexus.

In your perception the difference between the communities is only between a CG and and S then you really do not know what quality really is and that is ok. Woodbury in my opinion is a Lexus IS class. It is certainly not Crystal Cove or Shady Canyon (Mercedes). You get what you pay for. A lot of consumers would not find the differnence in a Smith and Hawken at Target from the real Smith and Hawken or Michael Grave's Target line from the Allessi line. To the trained eyes there is a huge difference in both products. Columbus is "brand name sold at Target." Nice to look at but would not wear and last well!!

Back