Columbus Grove or Portola Springs

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
this cant possibly right. doesnt US News know Beckman is in Tustin?

I missed this. Technically, Beckman is in Irvine (Irvine address) but is part of the Tustin School District. :)

Let?s not get caught up in minor details :)

toekneechin said:
There is definitely something to be said about being close to Target. Sprouts, restaurants, and daily stuff. With COVID, getting food delivery via DoorDash, Postmates, etc is easier with being in Columbus Grove.

However, as someone who lives in Portola Springs, the drive is definitely further out by 10-20 minutes. It takes me 9 minutes from my garage to get to the Sand Canyon and I-5 entrance.

So what?s the pro of PS? It?s so quiet, peaceful, and serene. It is far enough out but close enough to drive in. All my friends who visit is like, ?Yes, it?s a little far but the drive is so beautiful? and when they get to my community, it is so peaceful and tranquil. These are the common things people say. The views here are amazing day and night. Great place to relax and get away.

Portola Springs is really nice. I guess everyone just has to weigh what they value more. When Portola Springs was first built, it reminded me of a Northern version of Quail Hill. In the first few phases, there were a lot of similarities. They also both share that serenity factor. Once you get up there, it's really peaceful.

irviniteeee said:
toekneechin said:
There is definitely something to be said about being close to Target. Sprouts, restaurants, and daily stuff. With COVID, getting food delivery via DoorDash, Postmates, etc is easier with being in Columbus Grove.

However, as someone who lives in Portola Springs, the drive is definitely further out by 10-20 minutes. It takes me 9 minutes from my garage to get to the Sand Canyon and I-5 entrance.

So what?s the pro of PS? It?s so quiet, peaceful, and serene. It is far enough out but close enough to drive in. All my friends who visit is like, ?Yes, it?s a little far but the drive is so beautiful? and when they get to my community, it is so peaceful and tranquil. These are the common things people say. The views here are amazing day and night. Great place to relax and get away.

Portola Springs is really nice. I guess everyone just has to weigh what they value more. When Portola Springs was first built, it reminded me of a Northern version of Quail Hill. In the first few phases, there were a lot of similarities. They also both share that serenity factor. Once you get up there, it's really peaceful.

Sure, but at the far end of Portola Springs just drive two minutes more up to Alton and get a place in Baker Ranch.  Way more value for being two minutes further South.  Unless we're talking Lambert Ranch, then it makes sense.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
irviniteeee said:
toekneechin said:

Sure, but at the far end of Portola Springs just drive two minutes more up to Alton and get a place in Baker Ranch.  Way more value for being two minutes further South.  Unless we're talking Lambert Ranch, then it makes sense.

That's fair, but each purchaser has different needs. Some people have to factor in schools, amenities, location, etc. Also, unless you're taking the 241 between Portola Springs and Baker/Foothill Ranch, then it's more than 2 minutes. Irvine Blvd can be a traffic nightmare with all of the new development. I would rather live in Irvine than Baker Ranch, but that's just me.

I also don't think Baker Ranch was a consideration for the OP.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
irviniteeee said:
toekneechin said:

Yeah definitely more than 2 minutes haha. Also, having looked at Baker Ranch, the drive up to Baker Ranch is not as beautiful as it is driving in Portola Parkway or Tomato Springs. The views here are amazing compared to Baker Ranch. Also, take into consideration schools, views, open space, and the overall sense of community, PS is not as bad.

In terms of drive time, even the most east of PS is a 3-4 drive time from Stonegate and Eastwood with much better views.

Just a personal preference.

bones said:
The California Court Company said:
CG or CS, suffer because association with Tustin, one way or the other. Same with West Irvine.

What about Tustin Ranch?  I hear great things about the elem school (Peters Canyon).  Not very much inventory in that area.  Seems like it's a pretty desirable location?

Another vote for Tustin Ranch...such a great central location.  I can get to Portola Springs/Great Park in about 10 minutes driving on the Portola Springs speedway.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
bones said:
CG or CS, suffer because association with Tustin, one way or the other. Same with West Irvine.

What about Tustin Ranch?  I hear great things about the elem school (Peters Canyon).  Not very much inventory in that area.  Seems like it's a pretty desirable location?

Another vote for Tustin Ranch...such a great central location.  I can get to Portola Springs/Great Park in about 10 minutes driving on the Portola Springs speedway.  haha

I do like Tustin Ranch a lot. I often wonder if it's worth looking into Tustin Ranch Estates and Emerson if you're considering the pricier Orchard Hills homes. They aren't that far away from each other, and the larger homes in Tustin Ranch have very generous lots. 

irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
bones said:

I do like Tustin Ranch a lot. I often wonder if it's worth looking into Tustin Ranch Estates and Emerson if you're considering the pricier Orchard Hills homes. They aren't that far away from each other, and the larger homes in Tustin Ranch have very generous lots. 

I was looking at a few Emerson single-story homes with 1/4 acre lots back in 2016.  I would have had to sell a few of my toys to be able to afford one of those homes back then versus buying my smaller Tustin Ranch home (low $1m vs high $1m) so then what would have been the point of a 3-car garage home. :p

I vote for CG since it?s close to everything. PS is quite and peaceful but it?s also close to the wildfire. Who can guarantee there is no more wildfire in the future?

jz112896 said:
I vote for CG since it?s close to everything. PS is quite and peaceful but it?s also close to the wildfire. Who can guarantee there is no more wildfire in the future?

You can guarantee that there will be More wildfires lol

Old thread but I like the CG/west park side of town. If you commute to work in Irvine and have a white collar job, you will most likely work by the spectrum or by the airport. Either way- you have a 10 minute commute, max 15 minutes and you can just take surface streets. That is such a luxury. If you are in portola springs you may be closer to the spectrum when you look at google maps, but it takes the same amount of time to get there from WP/CG. As it was pointed out already, you spend 10 mins from portola springs to even get on the freeway. 10 mins might not seem like a big deal but it adds up especially if you have do it everyday. Why spend 10 minutes to even get on the freeway when 10 minutes is all it takes to get to work or most places you want to go from CG/WP. Also, it’s just ridiculous that a CG/WP resident has access to 2 targets and 3 theaters within 5 mins. It’s not about going to target or the movie theater, it’s the larger issue about how retail is well developed in that part of town.

Last edited:
Back