Columbus Grove or Portola Springs

The only newer neighborhood in Irvine that I would choose CG/S over is probably Laguna Altura. That has to be the worst location in Irvine. Talk about a poor location next to the 405/133 and wok bowl design. Those people and worst yet, their children, will probably have pulmonary problems for the rest of their lives. Actually both locations are equally horrible. 

jamboreedude said:
Vinster said:
nosuchreality said:
What don't people like about CG?

1. No Irvine Address - check
2. 50 feet from highway (open portion of Jamboree with 60MPH limit and 4 or 5 lanes.) - check
3. drainage ditch, open construction and trains - check
4. downwind from waste management transfer site - check
5. downwind from cement site and construction circle - check
6. new schools to be named later - check
7. $7000 - $10,000 of Mello-Roos on SFRs - check
8. Remediated hazardous waste site former military base across the road - check
9. 2800sf homes on a 4000sf lot - check.
10. Toxic plume disclosure (rumor?) so no planting fruit trees - check

I think you're mixing up Columbus Grove and Columbus Square.
1. Portion south of Warner is Irvine city.
6. All of Columbus Grove (Irvine and Tustin) is in the Irvine school district. No new schools planned.
10. No problem with planting fruit trees. Columbus Grove is built on what used to be base housing.

Columbus Grove is a better central location.

Once Stonegate, Cypress Village, Portola Springs, Lambert Ranch and the Great Park are built out, the traffic on Sand Canyon will be horrendous.

Not to mention the number of garbage trucks traveling along Sand Canyon road till year 2051.

CG is IUSD but zones into Culverdale & Westpark Elementary, Lakeside Middle School and Woodbridge.  Those are not as good as the schools available to Stonegate:  Stonegate, Jeffrey Trail and Northwood.

CG has no nearby shopping area.  You have to drive everywhere (discussion already had on this issue).  SG/Woodbury allows you to walk to a shopping area.  CG is also in a more industrial setting than SG or Woodbury.  Check out the price difference between the two.

irvinehomeowner said:
I thought Stonecreek Elem (another CG zoned school) and Lakeside Middle School had very high API scores.

According to IUSD, CG only zones into Culverdale & Westpark  (http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/AttendanceBoundaryChanges.html)  Culverdale (857) and Westpark (922) are not as good as Stonegate (955).  Stone Creek is very good (970) but serves a very small area (half of Woodbridge).

I stand corrected on Lakeside.  It is a very good school (922) but not as good as Sierra Vista (964).  Jeffrey Trail is brand new and should be very good.

Woodbridge is not as good (884) as Northwood (902).  University is at 908.

TBF...Woodbury and CV gets pulled into Irvine which is the lowest HS in the IUSD API wise (877).

It will be interesting to see how what happens when the new high school comes online in 2016 and how the breakdown goes. 

Irvinecommuter said:
According to IUSD, CG only zones into Culverdale & Westpark  (http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/AttendanceBoundaryChanges.html)  Culverdale (857) and Westpark (922) are not as good as Stonegate (955).  Stone Creek is very good (970) but serves a very small area (half of Woodbridge).

I stand corrected on Lakeside.  It is a very good school (922) but not as good as Sierra Vista (964).  Jeffrey Trail is brand new and should be very good.
Ahh... it looks like only Tustin Field is zoned to Stonecreek now. I do think that in 2007/8,  the Irvine part of Columbus Grove was zoned to Stonecreek too (that's when we were looking at those homes).

Regardless... any school in Irvine is pretty good... esp compared to some surrounding cities.

Irvinecommuter said:
CG has no nearby shopping area.  You have to drive everywhere (discussion already had on this issue).  SG/Woodbury allows you to walk to a shopping area.  CG is also in a more industrial setting than SG or Woodbury.  Check out the price difference between the two.

I agree there is no shopping within walking distance. However, drive-wise, it is less than a mile from the District (Costco, Super Target) via Warner (the best way to enter the District), Diamond Jamboree, 99 Ranch at Irvine Center and Culver, the Crossroads shopping center (another Target!) and Westpark Plaza. Also within easy access is Irvine/Tustin Marketplace via Jamboree (enter on Warner and no stoplights until before the I-5).

As a former resident of Columbus Grove (I lived in the Irvine side of CG), I wanted to give my opinion as well.

When I was looking for a place in Irvine about 3 years ago, I looked in (pretty much) all of the Irvine neighborhoods, including Portola and CG. Not being familiar with Irvine, I figured that any place in Irvine would do (I was not familiar with the prestige and/or stigma of specific communities). I saw a few places in PS, but I was not particularly fond of the location, as it felt a bit out of the way, and further from the freeways. Also, at that time, Portola was not as developed as it is today; thus, to me, it felt a bit out of the way and empty.

What I ended up liking about CG, and why I ended up picking a place there, was the location - it is centrally located right between the 405 and 5 freeways, it is close to Jamboree, the District (Costco, Target, Lowes, etc.), Crossroads (Target, Chipotle, Fish Grill), 99 Ranch/BevMo/24 Hour Fitness, Diamond Jamboree plaza, and John Wayne Airport. Also, you have the Mountains-to-Sea Trail close by (which is also now accessible directly from the community without having to go on Harvard). Although there was a comment about the lack of stores that you can walk to, I have biked from our place to the Target at the Crossroads shopping center. With the trail, you never have to ride your bike on a major road.

As far as real estate prices go, I did notice that CG prices were hit fairly hard between 2010 and 2012, especially when you compared CG prices to those in other more "desirable" or "prestigious" communities of Irvine. This may also be due to the time period in which CG was built - many of those homes were built and sold during the 2006 time period; thus, there ended up being a number of short sales in the neighborhood. However, it looks like prices in CG, as in most of Irvine, have rebounded this year, although other folks may be able to comment more on this.

Since I don't have kids, but also, since I was not as educated about the various Irvine schools, I wasn't quite as concerned about which schools CG fed into. In my mind, Irvine schools are all great, and the API scores for its schools would be the envy of most cities; however, I understand that we all have differing opinions as to what scores are acceptable, and I can't really comment much more on that.

But in conclusion, I personally prefer the location of CG over PS; I do recognize that there are pros and cons to both neighborhoods, but if I had to do it all over again and could only choose between CG and PS, I would still pick CG for its location.

RibEye said:
As a former resident of Columbus Grove (I lived in the Irvine side of CG), I wanted to give my opinion as well.

When I was looking for a place in Irvine about 3 years ago, I looked in (pretty much) all of the Irvine neighborhoods, including Portola and CG. Not being familiar with Irvine, I figured that any place in Irvine would do (I was not familiar with the prestige and/or stigma of specific communities). I saw a few places in PS, but I was not particularly fond of the location, as it felt a bit out of the way, and further from the freeways. Also, at that time, Portola was not as developed as it is today; thus, to me, it felt a bit out of the way and empty.

What I ended up liking about CG, and why I ended up picking a place there, was the location - it is centrally located right between the 405 and 5 freeways, it is close to Jamboree, the District (Costco, Target, Lowes, etc.), Crossroads (Target, Chipotle, Fish Grill), 99 Ranch/BevMo/24 Hour Fitness, Diamond Jamboree plaza, and John Wayne Airport. Also, you have the Mountains-to-Sea Trail close by (which is also now accessible directly from the community without having to go on Harvard). Although there was a comment about the lack of stores that you can walk to, I have biked from our place to the Target at the Crossroads shopping center. With the trail, you never have to ride your bike on a major road.

As far as real estate prices go, I did notice that CG prices were hit fairly hard between 2010 and 2012, especially when you compared CG prices to those in other more "desirable" or "prestigious" communities of Irvine. This may also be due to the time period in which CG was built - many of those homes were built and sold during the 2006 time period; thus, there ended up being a number of short sales in the neighborhood. However, it looks like prices in CG, as in most of Irvine, have rebounded this year, although other folks may be able to comment more on this.

Since I don't have kids, but also, since I was not as educated about the various Irvine schools, I wasn't quite as concerned about which schools CG fed into. In my mind, Irvine schools are all great, and the API scores for its schools would be the envy of most cities; however, I understand that we all have differing opinions as to what scores are acceptable, and I can't really comment much more on that.

But in conclusion, I personally prefer the location of CG over PS; I do recognize that there are pros and cons to both neighborhoods, but if I had to do it all over again and could only choose between CG and PS, I would still pick CG for its location.

Your username is making me hungry.

Irvinecommuter said:
Apparently  Cubic Zirconia already did a lot of the research and analysis:
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/api-equity

If rankings are your thing...the USNews ranking

University:  29 in state, 182 overall
Northwood:  57, 321
Irvine High:  119, 620
Woodbridge:  229, 1074
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...rnia/districts/irvine-unified-school-district

I have a feeling that people look at the USNews rankings a lot.

you just got me to look!

the two high schools in my little town that I escaped Irvine to are both ranked in the top 100 nationally.

Irvinecommuter said:

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...rnia/districts/irvine-unified-school-district

That's interesting since US News ranks Beckman HS (TUSD) > NW, WB, and IH.

Arnold O. Beckman High School
State: #56
National: #319
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ol-district/arnold-o-beckman-high-school-3585

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:

That's interesting since US News ranks Beckman HS (TUSD) > NW, WB, and IH.

Arnold O. Beckman High School
State: #56
National: #319
http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ol-district/arnold-o-beckman-high-school-3585

this cant possibly right. doesnt US News know Beckman is in Tustin?

The California Court Company said:
CG or CS, suffer because association with Tustin, one way or the other. Same with West Irvine.

What about Tustin Ranch?  I hear great things about the elem school (Peters Canyon).  Not very much inventory in that area.  Seems like it's a pretty desirable location?

Old thread, but I am exploring different neighborhoods as I look for a new place. Personally I like CG's accessibility to the District and the Westpark shopping centers. It took me 20 minutes yesterday to walk from CG to Target in West Park. It is comparable to residences in Woodbury/Stonegate that will allow you to walk to the Woodbury Shopping Center in 10-20 minutes. This puts Woodbury/Stonegate ahead of Portola Springs/Cypress Village for me. Depending on where you live in Cypress Village, people in Northwood might be closer to the Cypress Village Shopping Center. I get that we are in a suburban area and most people will drive anyway (and I will do as well if I am going to Costco, Walmart or Home Depot) but I personally love to walk to the grocery store, restaurants, gym etc. In that aspect, I realized that I also really like West Park, particularly the area a little north of Barranca but south of Warner/Harvard ( is it West Park II? ), you can shave off maybe 10 minutes when you walk from there to the West Park shopping centers compared to CG. A 10 minute walk as opposed to a 20 minute walk will be the sweet spot for me. I get that it's such a first world problem but given that criteria, so far I like Woodbury/Stonegate/West Park. The "walk" scores for many homes here are as good as it gets in a suburban area like Irvine.

Columbus Grove and Westpark both have decent centers within walking distance. Depending what part of Westpark you're in, you can walk to the Crossroads, Westpark Plaza, Culver Plaza, and the District. Portola Springs is nice, but it is really far away from everything. I think Cypress Village/Woodbury are better than Portola Springs in terms of walkability, but the Woodbury Town Center gets boring fast. If you really enjoy walking to a variety of restaurants and stores, then Westpark would be your best bet.

There is definitely something to be said about being close to Target. Sprouts, restaurants, and daily stuff. With COVID, getting food delivery via DoorDash, Postmates, etc is easier with being in Columbus Grove.

However, as someone who lives in Portola Springs, the drive is definitely further out by 10-20 minutes. It takes me 9 minutes from my garage to get to the Sand Canyon and I-5 entrance.

So what?s the pro of PS? It?s so quiet, peaceful, and serene. It is far enough out but close enough to drive in. All my friends who visit is like, ?Yes, it?s a little far but the drive is so beautiful? and when they get to my community, it is so peaceful and tranquil. These are the common things people say. The views here are amazing day and night. Great place to relax and get away.

Back