Christmas Decorations Thread

[quote author="morekaos"]pretty funny, but caused a bit of a rukus[/quote]

LOL! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
I should set one up at my place. Though my HOA or neighbors might call 911 on me.

[quote author="morekaos"]pretty funny, but caused a bit of a rukus[/quote]
That is classic...almost wish I had a 2-story home to do the same thing. haha <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->

Has anyone ventured into northern OC to tour the famous neighborhoods in Brea (at least I think it's Brea..it might be Placentia). I went there last year with my family and it is absolutely amazing. Every house - and I mean every house is decorated to the 9's. It's so popular, tour buses routinely travel through the neighborhood with looky-loos. It's one of those communities that is always featured on a local news cast.

Does anyone remember the name of the housing tract (I want to say it's called Eagle's Crest in Brea?) Anyway, I'd highly recommend it!

(See image by morekaos)

"The Greatest Christmas Decoration Ever!"

"Good news is that I truly out did myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days. I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever.Great stories. But two things made me take it down.

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder almost killed herself putting it against my house and didn't realize it was fake until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that. My yard couldn't take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up my yard."

[quote author="Sunshine"]Does anybody know if you can rent the duffy boats the evening of the parades and stay close to shore to observe? I'd like to do that.[/quote]

Boat1.jpg

For the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade-

http://www.christmasboatparade.com/downloads/2009%20Yacht%20Charter%20Info.pdf

To answer Mojo's 2nd question, the Landings II in Woodbridge have a pretty good display. They even have light hung over the street between houses in certain areas.

I wonder how they figure that out:

"This year you have the plug side... my electricity bill was enormous last December."

Oh... and the LED experiment was a fail. The LED white lights don't look as good as the normal lights so I returned them. The multi-color lights are fine... but my house may still catch on fire due to unsafe chaining of normal lights.

I went all LED this year for my external lighting, along with some timers. I used a Kill-A-Watt (a mini power meter so you know whats being spent) and was surprised at how little power was being used for all of my lights strung together. My whole exterior is like the equivalent to one smallish set of traditional lights.

And I agree, if you go LED, color is the way to go.

Yeah... it's funny when I read the boxes for the LED lights because not only are they twice as long as standard ones, but you can chain up to 7 of them while the standard ones say don't chain more than 2 or 3.

I can't think of any person who sticks to that though... every house that runs even a conservative decoration has to be stringing at least 3 or 4 strands on one outlet.

(I think it's one of those Star Trek engineer tricks where they overstate the restrictions knowing you can get more out it so they look better... "I'm lighting her all she's got Cap'n!")

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Yeah... it's funny when I read the boxes for the LED lights because not only are they twice as long as standard ones, but you can chain up to 7 of them while the standard ones say don't chain more than 2 or 3.

I can't think of any person who sticks to that though... every house that runs even a conservative decoration has to be stringing at least 3 or 4 strands on one outlet.

(I think it's one of those Star Trek engineer tricks where they overstate the restrictions knowing you can get more out it so they look better... "I'm lighting her all she's got Cap'n!")[/quote]

we have LED's on one of the Trees and outside..those suckers are bright Dude!!

If anyone is shopping at the Marketplace and wants to see some pretty good light displays, we have a few really good ones in our neighborhood --- just up from the Marketplace off Robinson and Jamboree. Go right on Robinson from Jamboree and then right on Asbury into Ivywood tract. Both directions on Cliffwood, and also some really good ones on Willowhurst.

Further up in West Irvine off Trevino (by Myford Elem) there are also some great displays --- particularly on Calais (first street to the south of Trevino, across from Myford).

Do you guys actually string up all your own lights? I really do minimum decorations at my house but do appreciate those who go crazy with lights. I see some with lights all along the top edges of their roof. You folks really get a 2 story ladder and climb all over your roof? It is probably more laziness than fear, but I always worry about taking a header to the ground while putting up lights so high.

I only put lights on the 1st floor roof across the front... and then the porch area if I have one.

No way will you find me climbing up on my roof... and my roof appreciates that.

If you really need lights up that high, you can also put lights into the 2nd floor windows.

Back