Charts show University of California admissions rates for every public high school in state

Both our kids are head and shoulders above their UCLA and SDSU parents. They both are Sports Medicine/Pre Med. Lord help me😳🤦🏽‍♂️🥲
I have a few MD family members - physician compensation is on a negative slope. I play golf with a recently semi-retired OBGYN and at the age of 65 he said it was the first time he was able to relax (due not having to be on call anymore) since before residency. The flip side is he's semi-retied because he loves what he does.

Yeah... both paths can be good depending on the student.

To stay vague... I went in with one major, added another, dropped the original and added a minor.... so I really didn't know what I wanted either until I took that weeder/intro class for the major I added. I was hooked from there and probably could have saved a year or two in college had I focused on that one major because those classes were fun. Was not many classes away from the turning the minor into a 2nd major but had to start working.

I don't think CC would have been good for me because where we lived, those CCs were basically high school extensions... and uh... not very safe.

For my kids... I think CC would be better but what do I/they know. :)
A good CA CC is an automatic path to a good UC or USC with a 3.5+ if one is not happy with where they were admitted out of HS and absolutely crave staying in CA at a well respected school, but missing out on 2 years of making college friends is a steep price to pay. On the other hand if academic skills need sharpening to succeed in a college curriculum it's the right path. I have a HS buddy, probably the most popular guy in our class and a multi sport athlete that had all the EQ in the world but mediocre grades and SAT so he did 2 years at CC, got into UCLA and ended up graduating from law school.

I have a few MD family members - physician compensation is on a negative slope. I play golf with a recently semi-retired OBGYN and at the age of 65 he said it was the first time he was able to relax (due not having to be on call anymore) since before residency. The flip side is he's semi-retied because he loves what he does.
I come from a family of doctors, sisters, nieces nephews, and my mother was one of the first female anesthesiologist in California. Harvard educated. I wouldn’t choose that profession out of greed. You really have to have a passion. I had tons of friends at UCLA medical school, and all of them said I wouldn’t have made it on greed alone My kids wouldn’t do it for the money, they’re not like their dad. 😆😆😆

I should probably poll this but in your adult life... are your friends from HS, college or work/after college?

It's interesting because I have a smattering of all but my closest friends are probably from college... which speaks to the value of the 4-year college program.

But who knows... maybe I would have made close friends at my hoody CC. :)

I should probably poll this but in your adult life... are your friends from HS, college or work/after college?

It's interesting because I have a smattering of all but my closest friends are probably from college... which speaks to the value of the 4-year college program.

But who knows... maybe I would have made close friends at my hoody CC. :)
a couple from HS, the closest from the neighborhood, college and right after. Sadly most are or are in process of getting divorced.

I come from a family of doctors, sisters, nieces nephews, and my mother was one of the first female anesthesiologist in California. Harvard educated. I wouldn’t choose that profession out of greed. You really have to have a passion. I had tons of friends at UCLA medical school, and all of them said I wouldn’t have made it on greed alone My kids wouldn’t do it for the money, they’re not like their dad. 😆😆😆
Lots of choices for your daughter. Thank God your kids aren't like you!

Lots of choices for your daughter. Thank God your kids aren't like you!
Lol very unfortunate kids. Cant imagine having a dad like him. Must be pretty f@cked up for them sadly. No wonder you hear in the news once in a while that a kid goes postal on the parents.

Couldn’t be further from the truth but nice try. Success wise they’re 100% more ruthless than I am, they’ll be stepping on the heads of most of your woke kids on their way up.😆🤦🏽‍♂️😆😆

Last edited:
Lol very unfortunate kids. Cant imagine having a dad like him. Must be pretty f@cked up for them sadly. No wonder you hear in the news once in a while that a kid goes postal on the parents.
Nah, TI wouldn't be the same without morekaos. Free speech is free speech. Can't have it both ways. Could you imagine morekaos or even the rest of us living in North Korea or Russia?

Couldn’t be further from the truth but nice try. Success wise they’re 100% more ruthless than I am, they’ll be stepping on the heads of most of your woke kids on their way up.😆🤦🏽‍♂️😆😆
But will they be happy? Or aware of the way science and society works? :)

Give and take bro, give and take.

Maybe that speaks more about your friends and acquaintances than UC education.

I've had plenty of classmates from Cal who gone one and done well in the tech industry. I've also have had many team members from my experiences at TI, Qualcomm, Broadcom, and a couple of startups, from Cal, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, and UCI, who performed well at work.

Speaking of interviews, I did interview someone from Michigan with over 20 years of experience who performed badly.

The thing is, personal experiences are very limited and don't speak much for the general.
I have to back up calbears96 here. UC's have enormous resources to be utilized by the motivated student who transcends his/her classmates. But, true, there's very few who are mature enough at age 19-21 to take advantage of the resources.

But will they be happy? Or aware of the way science and society works? :)

Give and take bro, give and take.
honestly, that’s their problem they’ve been given every advantage. It’s their responsibility to make their way. I’m fairly confident they will.

Last edited:
You're projecting your own childhood onto mk.

I think it's official... my kid has committed... to being a beauty school dropout for at least one year.

UC Santa McDonald's or bust!

The system is really busted....Its "racist"🤦🏽‍♂️👎🏽
Why a Student With a 1590 SAT Score Was Rejected by 16 Colleges - Foundation for Economic Education

Zhong's treatment is an important reminder of the injustice many face when Americans fail to see all people as we should: as individuals.

Stanley Zhong did everything right. A 4.42 weighted GPA (3.98 unweighted). A 1590 SAT score (1600 is perfect). He'd even launched his own startup (RabbitSign).

Yet the 18-year-old Palo Alto-area graduate was stunned when he found himself rejected by 16 of the 18 schools he'd applied to, including multiple state schools.

"Some of the state schools, I really thought, you know, I had a good chance," Zhong told ABC7 News . "I didn't get in."

Zhong's story has begun to gather some media attention, which was the subject of discussion at a recent House Committee on Education and the Workforce hearing. Yet almost all of the stories failed to mention the likely reason Zhong was rejected: He's Asian.

For years, colleges have been quietly discriminating against Asians in the admission process, admitting white, black, and Latino students with lower SAT scores and lower GPAs in the name of inclusivity. The problem for Asians is that, as a group, they tend to score really well.

In the African American community, they started the Historically Black Colleges to get around discrimination from the mainstream universities. Maybe Asians, with all of their entrepreneurial drive, should start their own network of colleges that cater to high achieving Asian students that were rejected from the Top 25 schools. I would hire from a school like this.

Back