Charts show University of California admissions rates for every public high school in state

Well, I am familiar with the rankings and what people say, but I don’t have firsthand experience at either a school. And finally, I was only referring to CS, so if you got your Neuro PhD there, I wasn’t trying to knock you.

As for me, what is the part that is hard to believe? That I didn’t go to college or where I work? Both are true and not that far fetched; I’m not the only person without a degree amongst the more commonly educated at my company.
I'm talking about everything: neuro, molecular bio, CS, Yatzhee, tiddlywinks competition team. There's no way CMU has anything more rigorous than Caltech.

But, regardless, you must be really good at what you do, so props to you!

I'm talking about everything: neuro, molecular bio, CS, Yatzhee, tiddlywinks competition team. There's no way CMU has anything more rigorous than Caltech.

But, regardless, you must be really good at what you do, so props to you!
Lol he is a USDA Prime filet mignon with USDA certification missing on the package.

Yes, he must be special!
My point was while I might be special, turns out i’m not one in a million special. FAANG companies have quite a lot folks without degrees and/or weird non traditional backgrounds. So a good school is great but it doesn’t get you a good job, and not having a degree isn’t a knock against someone once they have some real world experience.

Last edited:
Oh I missed this. Someone legit said CMU > CalTech? Lol. I love this board and its edu takes.

Oh I missed this. Someone legit said CMU > CalTech? Lol. I love this board and its edu takes.
It is more well respected for CompSci in CS /Faang circles. Ask most SWEs which program is more comprehensive, most will say CMU.

How many CalTech profs have won a Turing? I just looked, its half as many as CMU.

It is more well respected for CompSci in CS /Faang circles. Ask most SWEs which program is more comprehensive, most will say CMU.

How many CalTech profs have won a Turing? I just looked, its half as many as CMU.
I respect that take and I’ve made similar arguments here about the Ivies and certain fields/firms/etc...
My take is CalTech grads aren't going to work in FAANG CS.

I respect that take and I’ve made similar arguments here about the Ivies and certain fields/firms/etc...
My take is CalTech grads aren't going to work in FAANG CS.
Maybe, if CalTech is as exclusive and selective as you all say it is, maybe they are all going to work for boutique finance companies (that are known to be more selective and much more lucrative than FAANG/big tech).

It would make sense why they fly under the radar, often tech people who work at these companies aren’t even allowed to reveal their employer.

Or CalTech is best at almost everything but not CS. I dunno. Overall, I know the Ivies reputation has nose dived. It doesn’t reflect poorly, but I don’t think they’re anymore impressive than a UC, and after the first couple jobs it doesn’t even matter.

Parents should worry way more about making sure their kid is learning and less about specific colleges.

Doesn't CMU's CS program rank higher than CalTech's CS program by most publications, though?
I would say who cares, because it's Caltech. You get into Caltech for basketball and you think you can hack the undergraduate business (read: fake) major (which of course Caltech doesn't have), then you go, even if NYU's undergraduate business (fake) major at Stern is ranked higher.

As far as bones is concerned, bones knows a lot about elementary school things but not very much at all about high school and college stuff. Yes, really.

I would say who cares, because it's Caltech. You get into Caltech for basketball and you think you can hack the undergraduate business (read: fake) major (which of course Caltech doesn't have), then you go, even if NYU's undergraduate business (fake) major at Stern is ranked higher.

As far as bones is concerned, bones knows a lot about elementary school things but not very much at all about high school and college stuff. Yes, really.
Oh, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about anything. It is always interesting to see people mention my handle so pointedly though because aside from IHO (3CWG!!), qwerty (bats+taco bell!!!) and USC (best realtor in the OC!!!!), I can't keep track of anyone's usernames and their respective takes on this forum. Human psychology is fascinating :)

Oh, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about anything. It is always interesting to see people mention my handle so pointedly though because aside from IHO (3CWG!!), qwerty (bats+taco bell!!!) and USC (best realtor in the OC!!!!), I can't keep track of anyone's usernames and their respective takes on this forum. Human psychology is fascinating :)
What poetry. Your psychology, right?

What poetry. Your psychology, right?
Oh everyone’s. Starting with how you choose a forum handle. I’m guessing you’re into cognitive neuroscience? Or in that profession? I don’t even know what that is so it’s quite the flex (to me)! You must be smart! On the other hand, I picked a handle based on Emily Deschanel’s character on a TV show. She’s a forensic anthropologist so I guess that says something about me.

P.S. I’m impressed you moved something as insignificant as my random and dumb posts into your long term memory.

Last edited:
Oh everyone’s. Starting with how you choose a forum handle. I’m guessing you’re into cognitive neuroscience? Or in that profession? I don’t even know what that is so it’s quite the flex (to me)! You must be smart! On the other hand, I picked a handle based on Emily Deschanel’s character on a TV show. She’s a forensic anthropologist so I guess that says something about me.

P.S. I’m impressed you moved something as insignificant as my random and dumb posts into your long term memory.
If one has a memory, why would one forget? There is nothing to be impressed about.

My daughter is a native Californian, 4.52 GPA, 2nd in her class, ASB, campus ministry, Varsity Letters, Company level Ballet dancer, AP in almost every subject…Wait listed at UCSB and flat out rejected at my alma UCLA…Now, to be fair she didn’t want to go to either and would have turned them both down but applied bc I wanted her to. She was accepted at 7 of 8 applications and will go to her first choice anyway. But jeez, what does it take to get into a UC school these days. I’ll admit it…I wouldn’t have stood a chance…🤷🏽‍♂️🙄

Back