Charts show University of California admissions rates for every public high school in state

Keep in mind, that aside from getting internships, no one gives a shit about your degree in tech. I work at one of the top tech companies known for its pay, perks and outrageous interview process, and know people here from MIT and Stanford and also people without degrees and I can’t tell them apart.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that aside from getting internships, no one gives a shit about your degree in tech. I work at one of the top tech companies known for its pay, perks and outrageous interview process, and know people here from MiT and Stanford and also people without degrees and I can’t tell them apart.
Where did you graduate from?

So you're the same as Mety and Morekaos.
I’m not sure what that means. Also, in general, most people regard CMU as having a more rigorous curriculum than CalTech.

It just doesn’t matter though, you have the same interview process at these tech companies regardless of your degree. You are however much more likely to get internships with an impressive degree, which can be very helpful.

I’m not sure what that means. Also, in general, most people regard CMU as having a more rigorous curriculum than CalTech.

It just doesn’t matter though, you have the same interview process at these tech companies regardless of your degree. You are however much more likely to get internships with an impressive degree, which can be very helpful.
I have never heard of CMU having a more rigorous anything than Caltech.

As someone who grew up going to Caltech Saturday and Summer Science Program classes (all free including a cafeteria subsidy!) I can tell you Caltech is in a league of its own. I had an oppty to attend via the Occidental 3/2 program where you did 3 years at Oxy followed by 2 years at Caltech but by that age I was solely focused on being in the environment at USC in the 80s, the polar opposite of Oxy/Caltech. Deep down I knew however I was in no way Caltech material .

valedictorian of my HS chose caltech even though he got accepted to every other school he applied (including MIT, harvard, etc), and that dude was sharp as heck.

not comp sci/tech, but worked with a client in setting up their org and openings from analyst level to director level, every single position required a college degree. ones that come from a more prestigious school will get a better look, (of course if there's no alignment, if they don't meet requirements, or if they sucked at interview, then it's a pass)

also, have some friends from nicer schools and/or higher degrees, their options are more wide open, easier to get into the higher end consulting companies (mckinsey, bain, etc)

I don't believe you. Well, I didn't for a while. But now I'm beginning to. Because there is no way the CMU Comp Sci is more rigorous than that at Caltech.
Well, I am familiar with the rankings and what people say, but I don’t have firsthand experience at either a school. And finally, I was only referring to CS, so if you got your Neuro PhD there, I wasn’t trying to knock you.

As for me, what is the part that is hard to believe? That I didn’t go to college or where I work? Both are true and not that far fetched; I’m not the only person without a degree amongst the more commonly educated at my company.

Well, I am familiar with the rankings and what people say, but I don’t have firsthand experience at either a school. And finally, I was only referring to CS, so if you got your Neuro PhD there, I wasn’t trying to knock you.

As for me, what is the part that is hard to believe? That I didn’t go to college or where I work? Both are true and not that far fetched; I’m not the only person without a degree amongst the more commonly educated at my company.
You dont need a degree to advance in corp ladder. My wife used to have one staff who doesnt have a degree. She is now a VP at the company(S&P 500 REIT company). It is because she is a close friend with my wife’s boss who is a SVP and good at @ss kissing. That same SVP brought her into the company. She struggles with some accounting concepts. It is not how you perform, it is who you work for matters. Sadly in this case, college degree doesnt mean sh!t.

You dont need a degree to advance in corp ladder. My wife used to have one staff who doesnt have a degree. She is now a VP at the company(S&P 500 REIT company). It is because she is a close friend with my wife’s boss who is a SVP and good at @ss kissing. That same SVP brought her into the company. She struggles with some accounting concepts. It is not how you perform, it is who you work for matters. Sadly in this case, college degree doesnt mean sh!t.
College degree really just opens the door for you, the more prestigious university you went to, the wider the door is opened. After that, you need to do well on the interviews to actually get in. Of course, having a network helps tremendously. I remember my first job when I went to a training for the CAD tool I was using, my manager told me that the most important thing at the training was to build a network with the people I met there.

It's really in all cases that network is the most important thing. The higher the position, the more important your network is. Look at all those damn executives, do you actually think they got hired because of their performance at their old job?

College degree really just opens the door for you, the more prestigious university you went to, the wider the door is opened. After that, you need to do well on the interviews to actually get in. Of course, having a network helps tremendously. I remember my first job when I went to a training for the CAD tool I was using, my manager told me that the most important thing at the training was to build a network with the people I met there.

It's really in all cases that network is the most important thing. The higher the position, the more important your network is. Look at all those damn executives, do you actually think they got hired because of their performance at their old job?
a prestigious degree combined with big tech tenure also increases the flow of recruting inquiries on LinkedIn

Back