Case-Schiller for Costa Mesa

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1239168094]I personally would love to back to an alley, with a large detached garage, or rental unit, off the alley.</blockquote>

I grew up with a home that had an alley, hated it. If you don't have good neighbors then they will sometimes park in ways that block you in (i.e. park across from your garage so that its hard to get in or out, and parking behind your property)

If there is not a HOA setup for these homes it is sometimes difficult to get everyone to pitch in to repair the alley.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1239168094]March update (with a big surprise) coming soon!</blockquote>
*crossing my fingers its good news*

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239166460]BK had posted something earier this year that homes with easy freeway access have higher rates of burglaries because the thieves can get away more easily. I think that alleys have some similarity there. </blockquote>

Gotcha -- thanks for the clarification. Yeah, my Costa Mesa saved search on Redfin has recently turned up a number of properties that have either a major street over the back fence or a parking lot of some kind of large business (e.g. the shopping center where that Hoag women's center is, or a car dealership), and the possibility of burglars ingressing and egressing via such a route definitely seemed worrisome to me (quite aside from the noise problems you'd have in such locations, of course).

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1239168496]I grew up with a home that had an alley, hated it. If you don't have good neighbors then they will sometimes park in ways that block you in (i.e. park across from your garage so that its hard to get in or out, and parking behind your property)</blockquote>

Hmm, good point.

<blockquote>If there is not a HOA setup for these homes it is sometimes difficult to get everyone to pitch in to repair the alley.</blockquote>

Ah, and that's typically on common land rather than city property, eh? Interesting. I can certainly see how Costa Mesa's refreshing lack of HOAs in many areas could be a detriment in a case like that.

I have an alley behind my rented house in HB right now, and have no problems, so I think this is a lot of scared Irvinite paranoia.

I actually interact more with my 'alley neighbors' than I do with my 'front neighbors' and everyone is respectful, etc. I work on my bikes with the garage door open, and wash/work on my car in the alley. Everyone always is walking by and saying hello.

We have no crime, though we do have people driving through to get the bottles and cans regularly.

There just isn't that much crime in HB, CM, or any other 'nice' neighborhood.

I'm not paranoid. I was a witness to a lot of property crime in one Costa Mesa apartment complex I lived in, though the other Costa Mesa places I lived at didn't have any major problems (all the graffiti that used to appear on another property I lived at was unpleasant and worrisome, though). Certainly it's the case that there's a lot more property crime and crime in general in Costa Mesa than Irvine, especially per capita. It's the gang violence in Costa Mesa that worries me the most, but luckily that's mostly gang-on-gang, so unless you're unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get caught in the crossfire, it's unlikely to affect the average resident much.

I certainly agree that crime in Costa Mesa is nothing compared to actual bad areas (e.g. in L.A.), of course. Otherwise I wouldn't be considering buying there.

My experience is that there is very little crime, but I suppose it is all relative.

The only place I see graffiti is around the older apartment complexes in parts of the west side and up by the 405. There is a whole CM blog about the grafitti, and they say that almost all of it is not 'gangs' but tagging.

Hah, I just went and now they have a big post on tagging on the east side! http://www.cmtruth.blogspot.com/

So my husband COMPLETELY surprised me for my 40th last month with a trip to France. I was devastated by how many of the ancient farm buildings in the countryside of Provence were tagged. Don't crucify me for saying this, but their Arabs are much like our Hispanics and I was surprised by how many more Arabs there were since the last time I was down there.

The poor of the world are growing in population much faster than the wealthy westerners and they seek out a better life in western countries. However, a lot of the young Hispanics here and the Arabs there seem to fall into bad behavior. Low self esteem perhaps? Whatever the cause, it's something that must be dealt with because the evidence of the problem is ruining farm structures in rural Provence as well as Costa Mesa buildings.

The other thing I've noticed is that the homeless population has swelled quite a bit over here. Most of them are harmless, but it's still a problem. The women tell me one of the hardest things is having to fight off the aggressive men in the camps. A lot of them do have at least alcohol, if not drug problems and desperate people do desperate things.

Living in CDM, I never saw what I see here and felt like the least fortunate besides the house cleaners and gardeners who came to work in the work in the neighborhood. Now, I feel like we are one of the most fortunate people. The first night I was here alone I was so paranoid. I'm alone tonight, but don't feel a bit of fear.

My next door neighbors bought their home in '98 and at the time were apprehensive because they weren't sure which way the neighborhood would go. It doesn't seem like it's gone wildly in one direction or another, but I now wonder which direction the neighborhood will go. We've made our home here our little sanctuary and now I don't want to move. Rather, we just want to keep up our little projects and enjoy what we have, but I really don't know if it's going to get worse here, better or stay about the same.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1239187850]There is a whole CM blog about the grafitti, and they say that almost all of it is not 'gangs' but tagging.</blockquote>
Yeah, thanks much for the recommendation -- I actually discovered that blog a couple of months ago, and wished it had existed back when I was living in CM. I really like how they interpret the different graffiti (a topic that's always been purely opaque to me) and tell you whether it's tagger- or gang-perpetrated. If I had been able to look up the graffiti that kept appearing on my rental place and learn that it was done by taggers and not gang members, I would have been less concerned (though no less pissed off -- I despise the sight of graffiti).

The posts in that blog also lessened my concerns about crime in general in CM.

This is 92627 only, it does not include 92626.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2i7pqv4.jpg

Green pin = NOD = preforeclosure.

Blue pin = NTS = scheduled for the foreclosure auction, but will most likely get postponed. The backlog is horrendous, but that is another topic.

Red pin = REO= bank owned.

In other words, it isn't looking too pretty for costa mesa owners. Sorry stepping_up, love you, but it is what it is. At least you love and can afford the home you live in, and that is what I have always said that matters. You are happy, which is great.

Graph,

I was referring to the unsavory things (characters) about the neighborhood when I said I wasn't sure which direction it will go.

What's up with this house? There is no way in the world that the appraisal will come in anywhere near this price

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Costa-Mesa/919-Darrell-St-92627/home/4563881?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=listings_update&utm_nooverride=1#">919 Darrell</a>

[quote author="graphrix" date=1239204509]This is 92627 only, it does not include 92626.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2i7pqv4.jpg

Green pin = NOD = preforeclosure.

Blue pin = NTS = scheduled for the foreclosure auction, but will most likely get postponed. The backlog is horrendous, but that is another topic.

Red pin = REO= bank owned.

In other words, it isn't looking too pretty for costa mesa owners. Sorry stepping_up, love you, but it is what it is. At least you love and can afford the home you live in, and that is what I have always said that matters. You are happy, which is great.</blockquote>

Well, obviously, no rush for the east side, deals will be coming for months as the comp destroyers just keep rolling in.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239189599]So my husband COMPLETELY surprised me for my 40th last month with a trip to France. I was devastated by how many of the ancient farm buildings in the countryside of Provence were tagged. Don't crucify me for saying this, but their Arabs are much like our Hispanics and I was surprised by how many more Arabs there were since the last time I was down there.

The poor of the world are growing in population much faster than the wealthy westerners and they seek out a better life in western countries. However, a lot of the young Hispanics here and the Arabs there seem to fall into bad behavior. Low self esteem perhaps? Whatever the cause, it's something that must be dealt with because the evidence of the problem is ruining farm structures in rural Provence as well as Costa Mesa buildings.

The other thing I've noticed is that the homeless population has swelled quite a bit over here. Most of them are harmless, but it's still a problem. The women tell me one of the hardest things is having to fight off the aggressive men in the camps. A lot of them do have at least alcohol, if not drug problems and desperate people do desperate things.

Living in CDM, I never saw what I see here and felt like the least fortunate besides the house cleaners and gardeners who came to work in the work in the neighborhood. Now, I feel like we are one of the most fortunate people. The first night I was here alone I was so paranoid. I'm alone tonight, but don't feel a bit of fear.

My next door neighbors bought their home in '98 and at the time were apprehensive because they weren't sure which way the neighborhood would go. It doesn't seem like it's gone wildly in one direction or another, but I now wonder which direction the neighborhood will go. We've made our home here our little sanctuary and now I don't want to move. Rather, we just want to keep up our little projects and enjoy what we have, but I really don't know if it's going to get worse here, better or stay about the same.</blockquote>

I won't crucify you for your comment, but I don't appreciate how you are stereo typing a whole ethnicity.

Yes <strong>some</strong> of the problems may be with the Hispanics, but <strong>some</strong> of the problems are also with other races.

If you call someone stupid enough they will believe they are and start acting stupid

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1239232355]Yes <strong>some</strong> of the problems may be with the Hispanics, but <strong>some</strong> of the problems are also with other races.</blockquote>Generally, poor neighborhoods of any race in any country have more hoodlums, gangs, and taggers. New immigrants are usually somewhat impoverished, but there are plenty of white hoodlums in Hesperia, Glasgow, and London. Every subway in Rome is plastered with graffiti. Arab ghettos in France are the same.

In OC, we do not see poor asian and white neighborhoods much anymore; those neighborhoods have been re-populated with poor Hispanic immigrants. IIRC, even Compton, Watts, and South LA are all over 75% Hispanic now, all due to poor new Hispanic immigrants.

I did say poor immigrants and noted that here our poor immigrants are largely Hispanic and in France largely Arab (North African). Italy has the Alabanians and lots of North Africans. It is an issue of poverty, not race. Each of these are different races, but they are all poor immigrants. I'm perfectly aware of the graffiti in Rome and other large cities. Where I don't expect to see it is on ancient structures in rural Provence!

Median home prices in OC are going up, up, up.

2009-04-06 - $440,000

2009-03-30 - $435,000

2009-03-23 - $434,000

2009-03-16 - $430,000

2009-03-09 - $432,000

Isn't that because the higher end has finally starting coming down along with jumbo rates so you have more movement in the above $500K range? I'm seeing more and more $700-$800K properties going contingent over here.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239241109]I did say poor immigrants and noted that here our poor immigrants are largely Hispanic and in France largely Arab (North African). Italy has the Alabanians and lots of North Africans. It is an issue of poverty, not race. Each of these are different races, but they are all poor immigrants. I'm perfectly aware of the graffiti in Rome and other large cities. Where I don't expect to see it is on ancient structures in rural Provence!</blockquote>

Then why didn't you just leave it at "poor immigrants"? Why do you have to call out their race?

You're right... one of the golden rules of writing is to keep it simple. I didn't need to state the obvious, especially at the risk of offending the uber PC crowd.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239245942]You're right... one of the golden rules of writing is to keep it simple. I didn't need to state the obvious, especially at the risk of offending the uber PC crowd.</blockquote>

I am not being uber PC. I think you just got side tracked with putting an image to the "issue" instead of talking about the issue itself.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239241109]I did say poor immigrants and noted that here our poor immigrants are largely Hispanic and in France largely Arab (North African). Italy has the Alabanians and lots of North Africans. It is an issue of poverty, not race. Each of these are different races, but they are all poor immigrants. I'm perfectly aware of the graffiti in Rome and other large cities. Where I don't expect to see it is on ancient structures in rural Provence!</blockquote>

Why? You can go to Joshua tree and see it scrawled on the rocks. You can go to Eureka and see it carved and sprayed on the Redwoods.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1239204509]Green pin = NOD = preforeclosure.

Red pin = REO= bank owned.</blockquote>

Thank you for the key to the graph, Graph.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1239226727]What's up with this house? There is no way in the world that the appraisal will come in anywhere near this price

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Costa-Mesa/919-Darrell-St-92627/home/4563881?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=listings_update&utm_nooverride=1#">919 Darrell</a></blockquote>

Looks like they or one of the previous owners did a nice job with the remodel, but yeah, seems pretty high given the location. Not too often do you see a price on a house being substantially higher than even the highest of the 9 estimate prices that Redfin displays.

Back