Cariz at PS

yoyo2012 said:
But what is wrong about PS? It is right next to Stonegate so really it's just as remote. Also, it's right by the great park upscale neighborhoods.

What will be different between PS and Stonegate once it's fully built?

You are bringing to much logic and sense to the discussion. Get out of here with that junk. PS is at least 15 minutes away from stonegate. All kidding aside I complete agree with you. PS is next to SG and PP and somehow some people here think SG is central and PS the inland empire.

yoyo2012 said:
But what is wrong about PS? It is right next to Stonegate so really it's just as remote. Also, it's right by the great park upscale neighborhoods.

3 stories is the kicker card. have you tried looking at resales?
If you want new, have you considered sage 2?!

Make sure you don't open your 3rd story window if you live at Cariz.  Those semi trucks barreling down the toll road are deafening at that proximity.

yoyo2012 said:

There's nothing wrong with PS but Cariz is wedged between PP and the 133. The location is more comparable to Stonegate East - not Stonegate proper. 

I didn't think of the proximity to the 133 actually. When I visited, the area, it was extremely quiet but it was on the weekend. I figure proximity to 133 isn't as bad as proximity to 5/405 for instance. It is probably very quiet except during rush hour. Will the 133 actually be seen from the 3rd story window of some of those units?

I guess I'm trying to figure out why those 4 bedrooms units would cost 100-150k  less than it would cost in SG/WB/CV. So far, proximity to 133 and 3 stories floorplan seem to be reason why.

Technically, I don't really need a 4 bedroom house for at least 5 years or so. I'm looking to buy something that would have a good resale value when I'm ready to buy a bigger house. Budget would be 500-600k. I like the CV/SG/WB/PS area. I'm wondering if a 2 bedroom 1300-1400sq ft townhome in CV/SG/WB would see better appreciation over that timespan than a 4bdrm 1900sqft at PS with the above disadvantages..

yoyo2012 said:
I didn't think of the proximity to the 133 actually. When I visited, the area, it was extremely quiet but it was on the weekend. I figure proximity to 133 isn't as bad as proximity to 5/405 for instance. It is probably very quiet except during rush hour. Will the 133 actually be seen from the 3rd story window of some of those units?

I guess I'm trying to figure out why those 4 bedrooms units would cost 100-150k  less than it would cost in SG/WB/CV. So far, proximity to 133 and 3 stories floorplan seem to be reason why.

Technically, I don't really need a 4 bedroom house for at least 5 years or so. I'm looking to buy something that would have a good resale value when I'm ready to buy a bigger house. Budget would be 500-600k. I like the CV/SG/WB/PS area. I'm wondering if a 2 bedroom 1300-1400sq ft townhome in CV/SG/WB would see better appreciation over that timespan than a 4bdrm 1900sqft at PS with the above disadvantages..

Cariz just has a more dense set up and in my mind is more of a "Condominium" type setup, which is more closely related to an apartment type feel. Most of those other products in the other villages are more of "Townhome/Townhouse" setup with no one above or below you with a maximum of two neighbors (one on each side). This is naturally more desirable and fetches more $/sqft.

If 600k is your range and you are looking for more of a Townhouse style, I would suggest Zinnia. The plan 3 is around 590k and has 3 BR 2.5 Bath (with only two stories, which always better than 3 when considering resale).

I just went to Cariz and Willow by KB last weekend.  Cariz is all sold out except for 1.  They said that they are raising prices 8-15k.  Cariz seems more favorable than the 4 story Willow.  Some of the models at Cariz have garages 2 cars wide instead of 2 cars deep.  Also price per sqft at Cariz seems better since stairs are included in the calculations.

I couldn't imagine myself living in either one of these dumps.  They put music in the apartments so you wouldn't hear the kids screaming at the pool.  It's going to be very cramped and I can already see everyone fighting over guest parking so that they only park 1 car in the 2-deep garage. 

Also I believe that HOA was high, something like $315/mo.

collected said:
I just went to Cariz and Willow by KB last weekend.  Cariz is all sold out except for 1.  They said that they are raising prices 8-15k.  Cariz seems more favorable than the 4 story Willow.  Some of the models at Cariz have garages 2 cars wide instead of 2 cars deep.  Also price per sqft at Cariz seems better since stairs are included in the calculations.

I couldn't imagine myself living in either one of these dumps.  They put music in the apartments so you wouldn't hear the kids screaming at the pool.  It's going to be very cramped and I can already see everyone fighting over guest parking so that they only park 1 car in the 2-deep garage. 

Also I believe that HOA was high, something like $315/mo.

#veryStraightForward

"I couldn't imagine myself living in either one of these dumps.  They put music in the apartments so you wouldn't hear the kids screaming at the pool."

That cracks me up. Welcome to TI.

I love the floorplans and you all are crazy. They are very open and filled with lots of light. They are also very big with usable outdoor rooms. I have looked at every single condo community in Irvine, Mission San Juan, and Baker Ranch. I have some pretty specific needs. For example, I want to live on the second floor. Also, I want a decent outdoor space. I've also looked at every resale for the last year. If things go as planned, I will be purchasing at Cariz.

Acacia and Zinnia are more centrally located. However, the noise from the 5 freeway is unbearable. I visited there on an early Sunday and the noise was terrible. Any balcony or patio would be useless.  The laundry rooms were a closet and had stackable washer/dryer units. The kitchens were small.  Don't get me started on the floorplans. Awkward.  The 2 bedroom unit at Acacia is about 1100 square feet and a lot more expensive.

Mission San Juan is pretty but far away. Baker Ranch? Well, it's sandwiched between a jail and an industrial park.  Stonegate?  ugh!  It's flat and remote and in a grid. At least Cariz is really close to the toll road.  Also I hate those STONEGATE entrance signs.  Did the designers really need to use 6 foot tall letters. And if they were going to make some sort of grand statement, maybe the 'gate' should be stone, not cheap-ass block wall.

I thought about Orchard Hills entrata. They were ok but I didn't like the claustrophobic atrium. Maybe my resale won't be as good. I don't know. It's always a gamble. But I do know I will like where I live for the next phase of my life.

Take care,
Achilles

PS The sounds of kids enjoying the pool on the weekend isn't such a bad thing. Wow!

The analisys here in TI toward PS disadvantage has always been itchy to me, especially when compared to SG & PP.
Come on people. Let's be realistic, logical, and smart.

What is so that wrong with 0.8 mile more inland than SG and practically it's just across the street from PP?
Hop on a car to start driving to WB town center & I-5. It makes only 3-5 mins difference max than SG & PP.

I actually prefer PS to SG & WB.
You will know if you really try to feel for it. PS is situated on the higher ground with hills and wider streets, more nature, and outstanding parks. Also some view lots are even better than some of the new homes at HC.
I really don't understand why PS is so roughly treated by lots of people here..

It's just people rationalizing why they bought in one hood vs another. As someone who doesn't live in irvine now so I have no horse in the race and used to rent in Woodbury I completely agree. I have been preaching this for years

Laniakea said:
The analisys here in TI toward PS disadvantage has always been itchy to me, especially when compared to SG & PP.

What is so that wrong with 0.8 mile more inland than SG and practically it's just across the street from PP?
Hop on a car to start driving to WB town center & I-5. It makes only 3-5 mins difference max than SG & PP.

You will know if you really try to feel for it. PS is situated on the higher ground with hills and wider streets, more nature, and outstanding parks. Also some view lots are even better than some of the new homes at HC.
You can blame the Irvine Company for failing to properly market PS.  TIC always gave PS short shrift compared to its contemporary Woodbury.  TIC screwed PS out of its promised retail center, regional park, and school (until this fall).  I believe it was because TIC did not want PS to take sales from Woodbury, which was designed as a follow on to TIC's beloved Northpark.  TIC considers Northpark and Quail Hill to be its crown jewel villages to be used as models for future villages.
At the time PS began, it was sort of isolated and that turned a lot of people off.  Obviously, that's not true any more.  The view from Serra is of Irvine and Newport and you can see Catalina Island.  That's the best feng shui with your back to the mountains and facing the ocean, not the crap feng shui of so called coastal Hidden Canyon with its back to the ocean.  The talk about the jail and the landfill near PS are all bs: PP is closer to the jail and Stonegate is closer to the landfill.  If you live in PS, think of yourself as lucky to have found a hidden gem.  The value of PS should increase in the future with all the expensive new houses going up around it.  Heck, PS now shares its 92618 zip code with $3 mil homes (Hidden Canyon).

not all of PS is created equal. The area where Cariz is located is prob the worst part.  It has none of the elevation perks and is located on a sliver next to the 133 toll road. All the homes there are attached condos and the motorcourt Sage homes.  I find each "enclave" of PS to be totally different.  IMO, the one with the large Serra homes is the best enclave. Although some of the upcoming enclaves may be nicer.

Laniakea said:

1. Award winning school in SG not PS
2. Retail Shops plan scrapped at PS
3. The neighborhoods at PS didn't sell fast compared to SG and CV.

Bty.. What the hell is going on the top of the hill behind PS thou? It seems so much bigger now. Are they building "Open Canyon"?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 377
We r living in PS and I agree most of the things written here bad about PS r not true.

It's location is very good. I would prefer it over SG and CV which r flat. Honestly it's not far at all from WB town center , it only takes 5 minutes max to get to Ralph's and Traders joes.
With brand new school slated to open this fall would be great for our kids.
Landfill is not a issue, I agree it should be problem if any for SG and PP more than PS.
It's very calm and nice here. It only takes few minutes walk to get into mountains for evening stroll :)

I live in Portola Springs as well. It will definitely be valued higher once the Elementary school opens, but if I were a buyer I would demand to know what happened to the community park & retail. It seems wrong that they can just take those away from us and not compensate us.

Back