California Room changes

[quote author="ajw522"]
Well I'm sure there is more to it-I know that they already started framing as well. The foundation stuff is what the sales people told me. And they also said it would be possible to do it ourselves. You've already got the roof, you have one 2 walls aready, and all you have to do is input 2 more walls. Sure, it may be a bit difficult, but it shouldn't be too difficult.[/quote]

But those are exterior wall finishes... Have you ever tried to "dust" stucco?

[quote author="IrvineRealtor"]
[quote author="ajw522"]
Well I'm sure there is more to it-I know that they already started framing as well. The foundation stuff is what the sales people told me. And they also said it would be possible to do it ourselves. You've already got the roof, you have one 2 walls aready, and all you have to do is input 2 more walls. Sure, it may be a bit difficult, but it shouldn't be too difficult.[/quote]

But those are exterior wall finishes... Have you ever tried to "dust" stucco?[/quote]

True, true. I'd have to figure out a solution to that....don't know how, though....I'd have to ask my contractor. Do you have any ideas?

[quote author="ajw522"]True, true. I'd have to figure out a solution to that....don't know how, though....I'd have to ask my contractor. Do you have any ideas?[/quote]

You would never guess it, but shrimp paste provides a very uniform sheen if applied evenly.

It's not just the stucco that is the problem, but the lack of foundation/slab there. I don't know for sure, but the picture I made fun of looked like brick/tile/concrete do thingies were the "flooring" in the Cali room and it continued to the outside. So, it looks like there are two support beams -- dirt -- then the actual slab foundation underneath the house. How are you going to pour slab in that area that is not connected to the original slab and tension wire? Can you just pour it and hope it settles just fine? Sure, but what happens when the dirt shifts that new slab, or the new slab cracks because of root damage or lack of proper scoring? What happens if an earthquake hits and makes that new slab slam into the real foundation causing a crack into it? I could go on and on about the dangers of this set up, but if you want to throw up a couple of walls, pour some concrete, and rip out some stucco -- then sure it will be just fine -- for a few years.

I can only speak of Carmel, the California room can be changed into a Conservatory room for $25,000.

[quote author="mogul"]I can only speak of Carmel, the California room can be changed into a Conservatory room for $25,000.[/quote]

Ouch! That's steep. I heard around that price for other communities as well.

[quote author="mogul"]I can only speak of Carmel, the California room can be changed into a Conservatory room for $25,000.[/quote]

Colonel Mustard and revolver sold separately.

hpim2548.jpg

Any other communities offering Conservatory for their first few phases? If so, for how much?

IHO, what do you think? After viewing the Montecito Cali rooms today, do you think it would be easy to convert to an indoor room? (This question applies to anyone who can answer it, as well; Thank you) <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I'm not a contractor... so I don't think I'm really qualified to answer. It would seem easy enough to add walls framing between the pillars but like IR2 said... removing the exterior stucco may be problematic.

The question is:

1. How much would a contractor charge you to do it?
2. What would the HOA approval process be like?
3. Would you require city permits? (there are costs for submitting blueprints and getting permits)
4. What type of guarantee you will get from said contractor.

At least if you go with the builder option, you get the builder's warranty and whatever that cost is, it's financed.

I think I recall that you said the Conservation conversion wasn't available with your particular lot so that may not do you any good.

Best bet... get an estimate from a contractor. There are many out there looking for work.

For those who know me... I'm all about the French Doors... now how hard would it be to convert the Conservatory windows all into French Doors...? It just seemed silly to have one door... I guess the lots are so small that with all those doors open, there be no room in the backyard...

Back