California Room changes

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Heh... I'm wondering if some people will "finish" that California Room on their own without telling their neighbors or the HOA.

Don't some people do hardscaping in their backyards without HOA approval?[/quote]

Yes they do... and sometimes when they sell they have to undo all that has been done. This home in Newport is beautiful inside, nicely opened-up downstairs (and "too much" opened-up upstairs), but is being forced to remove hardscape, a fireplace/fountain, and some kitchen mods.

45 Auvergne

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/45-Auvergne_Newport-Coast_CA_92657_1113834505

l09c46342-m3x.jpg

l09c46342-m2x.jpg

Priv Rmks **SALE SUBJECT TO SELLER OBTAINING CITY BUILDING PERMITS** . CONTACT JIMMY AT (deleted) OR VIA EMAIL (deleted) PRIOR TO VIEWING OR WRITING AN OFFER. BUYER MUST BE PREQUALIFIED W/BofA. CONTACT REP (deleted) FOR PREQUAL AT (deleted). ALL OFFERS ARE SUBMITTED TO BofA MON-FRI 9AM-5PM. PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST 72 HOURS FOR RESPONSE. FREE CREDIT REPORT & APPRAISAL IF BUYER SECURES LOAN THROUGH BANK OF AMERICA.

Proceed with caution.
-IrvineandsometimesNewportRealtor

This is the reason why so many used homes were ruined by weekend warriors.

Stucco acts like a sponge. It absorbs moisture during rain and morning fog. Stucco is Not intended for waterproof protection. It is intended for fire retardant. Although the stucco walls beneath the California Room roof are shielded from the direct rain but the upper part of the same walls are not. Moisture due to capillary action and gravity will draw water downward, sideward into the California room walls and around the corner from upper stucco walls and other non contiguous walls. The moisture absorbed into the stucco walls must weep (drain) out at the screed located several inches above the California Room patio slab. The patio roof is intended for sun shading and privacy. It is not totally waterproof like the interior of a house.

These will be the consequences by enclosing the California Room. The lack of natural ventilation will trap moisture thus eventually becoming mold. Moisture weeps out the stucco wall will saturate the flooring. (You are probably thinking about not using carpet or wood flooring so moisture problem is solved). Not really! Moisture will seep into grout joints and settle below tiles. This is were the biggest problem will lie. The illegal enclosed walls along the slab edges prevent the water from exiting the edges of the patio slab. The mud sill of wood framing shortly will dry rot. Mold then migrates upward inside the illegal walls and conveniently become airborne contaminating the rest of the house.

Other issues are habitable space setbacks. Zoning code allows a limited percentage of the livable space along the rear of dwelling to protrude into the setback. Enclosing the patio will not only increase the percentage rule but also violate the fire setback and safety needed between houses.

Use some logic here. TIC has maximized the Mcmansion footage allowable by law. There is a site coverage floor area ratio by code. Don't try to outsmart TIC.

In the scenario of Cal Pac's defunct Sienna conservatory. The stucco wall ended on the top of the Patio roof and water drains out over the roof and the walls below the patio roof were completely segregated from the upper wall and with different materials.

Great informative post, Grace. Thank you, and great to see you here!

Thanks Grace! That's great info and I had no clue. Obviously, there is a massive gotcha with the California room!

I wonder how many General Contractors identify that feature of stucco when people are looking to do a mod or room addition and are complaining about the cost.

I'll be looking more carefully when I seen enclosed patios from now on. On the older wood homes, at least you don't have the stucco sponge, but I'm sure there is a litany of other things.

I'm glad you've come back to teach us about real estate again. Aren't you suppose to speak in Haiku or something.

With your contributions I'll feel more like reading this site and contribute my information as well.

this is too funny AJ... you haven't even bought the home yet and already you are unhappy with it and want to make changes...

wait,, aren't they building phases 1 right now? I see them all the time walking from Regal to the JOST on the sidewalk adjacent to the new construction... just go over to your lot, pull out a hunk of change and just tell the workers to make your custom change order <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

[quote author="roundcorners"]this is too funny AJ... you haven't even bought the home yet and already you are unhappy with it and want to make changes...

wait,, aren't they building phases 1 right now? I see them all the time walking from Regal to the JOST on the sidewalk adjacent to the new construction... just go over to your lot, pull out a hunk of change and just tell the workers to make your custom change order <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]

LOL! Well, they apparently can't do it because of the foundations -- plus, I don't have any money to bribe them with!! <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

I'm curious, are the builders at Woodbury and Woodbury East including the square footage of the California Room in the total square footage of the home? ???

seems like your simple solution would be to buy a phase 2 home and get it the way you want from the get go.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]I'm curious, are the builders at Woodbury and Woodbury East including the square footage of the California Room in the total square footage of the home? ???[/quote]

No- they aren't included unless you use the option to have a "conservatory room" which Montecito is not offering until after phase 3 or 4 (no guaranteed phase)

[quote author="dethman"]seems like your simple solution would be to buy a phase 2 home and get it the way you want from the get go.[/quote]

I would love that, but they have already poured the foundations for phase 2. The sales agent told me that they aren't planning on allowing that option until after phase 3 or 4. She didn't have an exact phase.

When I talked to people at Santa Cruz and Monticeto, it seemed like the decision for a california room or a conservatory is pre-determined. They stated they had to get the plans approved by the city first. I seemed like the only way to get the plan changed would be to go back thru the city.

[quote author="nytransplant"]When I talked to people at Santa Cruz and Monticeto, it seemed like the decision for a california room or a conservatory is pre-determined. They stated they had to get the plans approved by the city first. I seemed like the only way to get the plan changed would be to go back thru the city.[/quote]

From what I heard, they said that their researched showed that more people wanted the Cali room instead of the conservatory -- that is why they are building the first few phases with the cali room only (they are pouring the foundation early to get people moved in as quickly as possible)

[quote author="irvinehomeshopper"]Can you elaborate the foundation and how it prevents the conversion?[/quote]

All I know is that the foundation must be poured a certain way (????) to have the Conservatory Room put in by the builder. You can always do it yourself afterward, though.

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="irvinehomeshopper"]Can you elaborate the foundation and how it prevents the conversion?[/quote]

All I know is that the foundation must be poured a certain way (????) to have the Conservatory Room put in by the builder. You can always do it yourself afterward, though.[/quote]

You can't pour foundation after the builder does, so you can't do it yourself afterward. Well, you can, but you won't be doing it right. Sure, 9 out of 10 contractors will tell you it is easy, but the tenth one will tell you the truth, it is a PITA to do it right and if you don't then you will have problems.

If the builder uses two different types of foundation, then that should tell you something...

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="ajw522"]

All I know is that the foundation must be poured a certain way (????) to have the Conservatory Room put in by the builder. You can always do it yourself afterward, though.[/quote]

You can't pour foundation after the builder does, so you can't do it yourself afterward. Well, you can, but you won't be doing it right. Sure, 9 out of 10 contractors will tell you it is easy, but the tenth one will tell you the truth, it is a PITA to do it right and if you don't then you will have problems.

If the builder uses two different types of foundation, then that should tell you something... [/quote]

Well I'm sure there is more to it-I know that they already started framing as well. The foundation stuff is what the sales people told me. And they also said it would be possible to do it ourselves. You've already got the roof, you have one 2 walls aready, and all you have to do is input 2 more walls. Sure, it may be a bit difficult, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Back