Cadence Park - Great Park

Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@Compressed-Village: Uh... how do you see exactly where MRs are going? Ask Columbus Square where all their MR money went for the last 9 years.

So do you play tennis, volleyball or even soccers? GP has this and anyone can use it, but reality is that if you live in Santa Ana as an example, do you really drive 1 hour to play soccer? I say 1 hour is because not the distance but the traffics on the roads to get here. Seconds, the pools is extra cool for me. I?ve been many pools and none as nice as GP pools. Third school is built and ready from day 1 that you move in at Cadence Park. The Tustin schools district continue to take mello Roos and fallen short in this area in the past. Lately, they have stepping up their games after decade of false promises to Mello Roos payers. Their record of taken mello without improvements is visible.

Now, there is always improvements to be made at any institution. Even the higher learning one. And Beacon and Cadence is going thru growing pain and acknowledgment is made for better.

Have you been to the soccer fields at the GP on a weeknight or a weekend?  It hosts club soccer teams for practices and tournaments. Yes some of those teams are from Irvine, but some are from Santa Ana, other parts of OC, LA, all over the state even. These club teams charge $$$ in club fees for each athlete. I bet the same will happen with the newly built baseball and softball fields. They?ll be rented out to travel ball teams.

In terms of the on site schools, you can get that in most Irvine villages. So really, you?re paying the extra MR for The Pools.

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@Compressed-Village: Uh... how do you see exactly where MRs are going? Ask Columbus Square where all their MR money went for the last 9 years.

So do you play tennis, volleyball or even soccers? GP has this and anyone can use it, but reality is that if you live in Santa Ana as an example, do you really drive 1 hour to play soccer? I say 1 hour is because not the distance but the traffics on the roads to get here. Seconds, the pools is extra cool for me. I?ve been many pools and none as nice as GP pools. Third school is built and ready from day 1 that you move in at Cadence Park. The Tustin schools district continue to take mello Roos and fallen short in this area in the past. Lately, they have stepping up their games after decade of false promises to Mello Roos payers. Their record of taken mello without improvements is visible.

Now, there is always improvements to be made at any institution. Even the higher learning one. And Beacon and Cadence is going thru growing pain and acknowledgment is made for better.

Have you been to the soccer fields at the GP on a weeknight or a weekend?  It hosts club soccer teams for practices and tournaments. Yes some of those teams are from Irvine, but some are from Santa Ana, other parts of OC, LA, all over the state even. These club teams charge $$$ in club fees for each athlete. I bet the same will happen with the newly built baseball and softball fields. They?ll be rented out to travel ball teams.

In terms of the on site schools, you can get that in most Irvine villages. So really, you?re paying the extra MR for The Pools.

Its not just for the pools. Maybe I am a minority in OK with paying higher Mello Roos but I like what is building and what have built already at the GP. I have been to those fields during the weekday and weekend and those are the reason why I felt it worth my extra 2K a year to have those sporting avenue close by. Look, all of the community has some form of Mello Roos, if I am going to stop myself from a mere 3 or 4 or 5 K a year to live in a good neighborhood, then Irvine is not for me. People who purchase multi million dollars home in Newport Beach and Laguna beach can say the same, everybody will use the beach, so why pay all those bucks to have all those people comes and use it and even people from out of states too.
To me that does not make sense that because you pay extra mello roos for someone else to use it then it not worth buying into that neighborhood. Just my opinion.

kbinteriordesign said:
We are hoping that the area being graded near the 241 off of Portola becomes a shopping center. It still wouldn't quite be walking distance, especially with it being up the hill, but it would at least be nearby.

Not going to happen. Portola Springs is not getting any retail. TIC doesn't believe in even a gas station + convenience store. The closest retail that might be built is near the Modjeska/Irvine Blvd intersection.

Retail is dying, even in a booming economy.

I haven't kept up on the retail stuff, but is the closest supermarket available the Ralphs on Irvine Blvd and Sand Canyon? Trader Joes is there, but it's not the same as a Ralphs, Pavillions, Stater Bros, etc. I know Zion's is the next one along Irvine Blvd, and 99 Ranch by the 5 freeway. Seems awfully underserved.  Retail may be dying, but grocery stores are a plus to have nearby.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
I haven't kept up on the retail stuff, but is the closest supermarket available the Ralphs on Irvine Blvd and Sand Canyon? Trader Joes is there, but it's not the same as a Ralphs, Pavillions, Stater Bros, etc. I know Zion's is the next one along Irvine Blvd, and 99 Ranch by the 5 freeway. Seems awfully underserved.  Retail may be dying, but grocery stores are a plus to have nearby.

My .02c

Correct. With all the new homes being built in that area, it doesn't seem sustainable to have Woodbury Town Center servicing them all.

Compressed-Village said:
bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Its not just for the pools. Maybe I am a minority in OK with paying higher Mello Roos but I like what is building and what have built already at the GP. I have been to those fields during the weekday and weekend and those are the reason why I felt it worth my extra 2K a year to have those sporting avenue close by. Look, all of the community has some form of Mello Roos, if I am going to stop myself from a mere 3 or 4 or 5 K a year to live in a good neighborhood, then Irvine is not for me. People who purchase multi million dollars home in Newport Beach and Laguna beach can say the same, everybody will use the beach, so why pay all those bucks to have all those people comes and use it and even people from out of states too.
To me that does not make sense that because you pay extra mello roos for someone else to use it then it not worth buying into that neighborhood. Just my opinion.

I think it's fine that you're ok with the MR.  Obviously a lot of folks are or else GP would be a ghost town.  I'm too lazy to BTB you and whip out MR stats, but is it really only a $2k difference for a 3,000 sf home at Cadence Park ($9k-$10k MR bill) versus a 3,000 sf home in PS, EW, SG, OH, Woodbridge, Westpark, etc?  Obviously there will be other factors like price so I understand you can't look at the MR as a straight comparison. 

In terms of the beach analysis, you lost me there.  Residents in Laguna Beach aren't paying a Mello Roos in perpetuity with a 2% annual increase to fund "infrastructure" for the benefit of the masses.  Their home values are based on location, views, etc.  One neighborhood isn't paying more in taxes to fund a beach volleyball court that anyone can play on.

Compressed-Village said:
Be a good neighbor and pick up your shit.

I do pick up my dog's shit as well as any shit left by others that I come across if I happen to have a poop bag with me. This is my gift to the fine residents of GPN. I won't even incorporate a Great Park Dog Shit Improvement District and charge you Mello Roos for my service

Nice, now that what I call a good citizen. Thanks for not charging me anymore Mello Roos than it already dumped on us.  :)

Everyone want to use it, but no one want to pay.

akkord said:
Tustin Ranch for 800k, 4 bed 3 bath /w driveway, think this is gated too, needs a bit of updating, but the savings on MR, the good schools in the area makes it a good deal.  Use it as a rental when you move up since there is a lack of inventory in this general area and should lease quick.  No one behind too which is a plus.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/10124-Marchant-Ave-92782/home/4776358

**So the one that you need to get over is that the previous owner/someone? died in the home, but if you lease it out, no need to disclose, and after 2/3? years if you sell, you don't need to disclose either.
On a tangent, just curious, how did you figure out that there had been a death in the house. Thanks.

mads said:
akkord said:
Tustin Ranch for 800k, 4 bed 3 bath /w driveway, think this is gated too, needs a bit of updating, but the savings on MR, the good schools in the area makes it a good deal.  Use it as a rental when you move up since there is a lack of inventory in this general area and should lease quick.  No one behind too which is a plus.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/10124-Marchant-Ave-92782/home/4776358

**So the one that you need to get over is that the previous owner/someone? died in the home, but if you lease it out, no need to disclose, and after 2/3? years if you sell, you don't need to disclose either.
On a tangent, just curious, how did you figure out that there had been a death in the house. Thanks.

Not OP but it's in the private remarks on MLS.

"PRIVATE REMARKS: Previous owner passed away peacefully in the home."

I understand the reluctance over GP MR fees, as it doesn't seem to have an end date. But, I guess any neighborhood could reinstate MR when upgrading facilities? On a far smaller scale, at Westpark, we were told that there would be a additional MR fee of 800 or so due to the development of the Bill Barber park, which is open to all. Just thinking out loud here.

mads said:
I understand the reluctance over GP MR fees, as it doesn't seem to have an end date. But, I guess any neighborhood could reinstate MR when upgrading facilities? On a far smaller scale, at Westpark, we were told that there would be a additional MR fee of 800 or so due to the development of the Bill Barber park, which is open to all. Just thinking out loud here.

This is a good example of older neighborhood, that tact on extra tax and continuing tax for improvements. This area is well maintain, and I like West Park neighborhood, it continue to looks and feel nice. So there is no free lunch. We tend to gravitate to nice, safe and good neighborhoods, do you think the local government will pony up without finding other ways to funds the improvements. I of all people always cried about but, but, we already pay enough tax. Well, that has spoken for the property tax and the mello roos. If I disagree, I will just have to sell out and move to a lesser tax neighborhood. Maybe baker ranch, nah, nah, I am a long Irvine dude and I will pay for it.

Compressed-Village said:
mads said:

This is a good example of older neighborhood, that tact on extra tax and continuing tax for improvements. This area is well maintain, and I like West Park neighborhood, it continue to looks and feel nice. So there is no free lunch. We tend to gravitate to nice, safe and good neighborhoods, do you think the local government will pony up without finding other ways to funds the improvements. I of all people always cried about but, but, we already pay enough tax. Well, that has spoken for the property tax and the mello roos. If I disagree, I will just have to sell out and move to a lesser tax neighborhood. Maybe baker ranch, nah, nah, I am a long Irvine dude and I will pay for it.

This is a good example. But it?s also $800 versus $8000. Maybe westpark prices make up the difference.  The MR difference will only grow between GP and non GP neighborhoods.  It?s a hard sell to buyers at resale even if the MR does break even after X years esp if they don?t do the math themselves (or have an agent do it for them).  It?s probably why a lot of GP homes languish on the market. But yes yes I know. You are super long on Irvine and will prob stay there until you die. Unfortunately that?s not the case for most buyers.

I think things will only get more expensive. Lambert ranch has no mello, but the price tag is something to think about.

So you worry about not able to sell in the future because of tax goes up? 8k is peanut, sorry and I hope to not offend you.

I?ve been to almost all of the states for my work. And by the time I get home I really think I can?t live anywhere else. Heck I can?t even live in San Bernardino and it?s in California.

I might ask IHO to start a poll. If you have an option to retire today where would you go. And do you have to sell your house to go there or can you live with what you got and pass your Irvine home to your children, heir, or charity?

Compressed-Village said:
I think things will only get more expensive. Lambert ranch has no mello, but the price tag is something to think about.

So you worry about not able to sell in the future because of tax goes up? 8k is peanut, sorry and I hope to not offend you.

I?ve been to almost all of the states for my work. And by the time I get home I really think I can?t live anywhere else. Heck I can?t even live in San Bernardino and it?s in California.

Is Lambert Ranch a lot more expensive than BP?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/54-Andrews-92618/home/51682973

versus
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/127-Kennard-92618/home/103690766

Similar size house.  Closed in the last 3 months. 

So $0 MR on LR house versus what, $10k? on the Beacon Park house.  I pick LR in this case, but you may pick BP and that's fine.  At LR, you get gates, a smaller/quieter neighborhood.  At BP, you pay $10k more a year and get The Pools and closer proximity to GP amenities.
And you keep saying money in varying amounts is "peanuts".  It doesn't offend me.  Or impress me.  But obviously money matters and people have to work within the confines of their income and financial situation.

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:

versus

So $0 MR on LR house versus what, $10k? on the Beacon Park house.  I pick LR in this case, but you may pick BP and that's fine.  At LR, you get gates, a smaller/quieter neighborhood.  At BP, you pay $10k more a year and get The Pools and closer proximity to GP amenities.
And you keep saying money in varying amounts is "peanuts".  It doesn't offend me.  Or impress me.  But obviously money matters and people have to work within the confines of their income and financial situation.

I am with you. I would picked LR. Again you see that the Lambert homes got scoop up almost immediately at full price within weeks of listing. This show you that buyers are frustrated with the bidding war of resale and resolved to something else.

Compressed-Village said:
bones said:
Compressed-Village said:

versus

I am with you. I would picked LR. Again you see that the Lambert homes got scoop up almost immediately at full price within weeks of listing. This show you that buyers are frustrated with the bidding war of resale and resolved to something else.

+1 Lambert Ranch >>> Beacon Park.

I don't care how many fancy pools or soccer fields you build, I'm not crazy enough to pay double MR for land on a former superfund site.

Back