Cadence Park - Great Park

irvine buyer said:
Depends on homebuyer's priorities.  I was okay with buying older floorplan because I wanted 3CWG and bigger lot.  Wife did not like older kitchen and master layout and so we bought new despite the almost $8K in Mello we now pay.  She would have picked Muse Plan 1 over Rockwood if those were the only 2 choices.
$8k every year? Wow. In 2 years, she can have a different kitchen in a resale, in 3 years, a dream kitchen. :)

Tustin Ranch for 800k, 4 bed 3 bath /w driveway, think this is gated too, needs a bit of updating, but the savings on MR, the good schools in the area makes it a good deal.  Use it as a rental when you move up since there is a lack of inventory in this general area and should lease quick.  No one behind too which is a plus.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/10124-Marchant-Ave-92782/home/4776358

**So the one that you need to get over is that the previous owner/someone? died in the home, but if you lease it out, no need to disclose, and after 2/3? years if you sell, you don't need to disclose either.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not convinced.

While the floorplan may be functional (except for the 3 stories), being attached at both sides (I believe Plan 1 is the sandwich unit) is basically like living in an apartment.

I understand they are maximizing land costs but they should configure these in a way that makes it less obvious you are living in an attached unit. Maybe a 4-pack with a unit on each corner so that every place has at least 2 sides of light and a possible side yard.

For $800k, I would rather get USC's Firefly detached condo in Woodbury (where everything is also walkable):
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/152-Firefly-92618/home/112721717

Where is akkord? I think he can find a 4-br detached home in the $800k range.

That firefly condo is in portola springs. Not walkable to anywhere except some PS amenities.

How do you define "walkable" and what amenities would you want within walking distance besides a school and community parks?

irvinehomeowner said:
irvine buyer said:
Depends on homebuyer's priorities.  I was okay with buying older floorplan because I wanted 3CWG and bigger lot.  Wife did not like older kitchen and master layout and so we bought new despite the almost $8K in Mello we now pay.  She would have picked Muse Plan 1 over Rockwood if those were the only 2 choices.
$8k every year? Wow. In 2 years, she can have a different kitchen in a resale, in 3 years, a dream kitchen. :)

That?s the emotional part of the finding a home. If I am to look for a home right now.New or newer would be on top of my list. Mello Tax would rank at the bottom of my concern. Also, surrounding area and neighborhood has to have good vibes. Of course functional layout plan is also high importance for me.

kbinteriordesign said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
For $800k, I would rather get USC's Firefly detached condo in Woodbury (where everything is also walkable):

That firefly condo is in portola springs. Not walkable to anywhere except some PS amenities.

How do you define "walkable" and what amenities would you want within walking distance besides a school and community parks?

I'm using "walkable" here in the IHO context since I'm replying to his post.  If that condo was in Woodbury, it would be walkable to Trader Joe's, a gym, restaurants, fast food joints, a home improvement store, a pilates studio, a preschool, etc, etc, etc.  But it's in Portola Springs.  Walkable to... the fire station.

bones said:
kbinteriordesign said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm using "walkable" here in the IHO context since I'm replying to his post.  If that condo was in Woodbury, it would be walkable to Trader Joe's, a gym, restaurants, fast food joints, a home improvement store, a pilates studio, a preschool, etc, etc, etc.  But it's in Portola Springs.  Walkable to... the fire station.

How about walkable to coyote dens?  :)

bones said:
realEstatey said:
kbinteriordesign said:
Mety said:
I'm sorry. After looking in to these homes more. THAT price is NOT a first time home buying price.

You took the words right out of my mouth, or rather, my fingertips. However, I would really like to know who is buying these properties!

I'm curious about the Residence 2 with the detached garage -- so, where is the garage located? If you think hauling groceries up a flight of stairs is bad, imagine having to haul them from the outdoors when it's super hot or raining!

I can see how those floor plans may work for some people, perhaps those with roommates or extended family living with them. There's a bright side to everything, right? :)

Hi All,

I wanted to join the conversation because my fiance and I recently put a deposit down on an attached 3 story home in Cadence park (~800k)! In particular, we went with Muse plan 1 (4 bedroom 3.5 baths with the extended ground level suite). We were in the market for almost 8 months and after numerous homes lost to over asking cash offers, we decided to look at new construction.

Why we chose Muse? Firstly, the potential of the neighborhood. My fiance and I are planning to have a family and the area is going to be amazing when everything is built.

Neighborhood:

• New k-8 School
  • Parks, Pools, and Sports Facilities
  • Warehouse 415 - boutique shops and restaurants
  • Five-points Amphitheater
  • And much more walking/biking distance!

Secondly, the floor-plan is amazing and the home is energy efficient/new! Many on this forum have mentioned the difficulties of a three story plan but the builders make up for this in many ways.

The open layout, high ceilings, and large deck is something we couldn't find in any 2-story homes that we could afford. The use of space makes the home feel much larger than the square footage. The washer and dryer are on the same floor as the bedrooms (3 of 4) which makes laundry easy. The kitchen is huge! An 8 foot by 4 foot island is flanked by a sea of cabinets. This kitchen feels like it belongs in a much more expensive

Congrats!  How?s the light on the second floor?  Not many windows and that large deck takes away some of the natural light to the living room.

I think it?s the combo of 3 floors + high MR that has a lot of people shaking their heads. But I think there?s upside at Cadence Park. Like CV said, just have to hold it for the longer term.

Thank you! The light is not so bad on the second floor. The sliding door and the window on the one end along with the window on the other provides a decent amount of light. We're also planning on adding mirrors to brighten things up even more.

And yup. We plan on living here for a while! The MR is the cost of a new elementary school/ new parks/ and everything else. We were looking in areas without the MR and found the homes were being listed at a premium because of it.

Of course we would like to purchase in those neighborhoods but we don't have enough down payment or monthly income just yet.

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
Mello Tax would rank at the bottom of my concern.

Really?  I'm surprised by this.  You must be a true FCB :)

Not FCB at all. The tax I can see where it?s going to vs. pay for something and get nothing. What I mean is if you have kids, you will know what I mean.

Compressed-Village said:
bones said:
Compressed-Village said:

Not FCB at all. The tax I can see where it?s going to vs. pay for something and get nothing. What I mean is if you have kids, you will know what I mean.

I have kids and don?t know what you mean.  What specifically are they using the money for that you can?t get elsewhere in irvine that is for the sole use and purpose of GP residents?

Now if you tell me the GP schools are phenomenal and worth paying what basically amounts to private school tuition for one kid, then I have no argument.

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
bones said:
Compressed-Village said:

I have kids and don?t know what you mean.  What specifically are they using the money for that you can?t get elsewhere in irvine that is for the sole use and purpose of GP residents?

Now if you tell me the GP schools are phenomenal and worth paying what basically amounts to private school tuition for one kid, then I have no argument.

The double MR keeps the rift raft out according to BTB  ;)

bones said:

True. Having a nearby shopping center and access to markets and restaurants within walking distance is a huge plus, but I think additional factors need to be taken into account. For example, when I lived in Corona Del Mar, I could basically park my car on the weekends and have a pleasant walk down to any of the shops and restaurants available on PCH. I'd see people out walking all the time. However, when I lived in West Irvine near the Irvine/Tustin Marketplace, there were several restaurants and shops within walking distance, but it was different having to walk down Jamboree vs PCH. I saw very few people in the neighborhood walking to the nearby stores and shops in that area. When I see the Woodbury Shopping Center, the busy roads that surround it remind me more of the Marketplace. In Portola Springs, we may not have a nearby shopping center, but every day I see several residents walking the trails in the mornings and afternoons, my husband and I being two of them. It fits our active lifestyle and gives us an opportunity to unplug every day.  So, I think it comes down to what you value as far as lifestyle. I'm not trying to sway minds one way or another, just trying to provide another perspective.

@Compressed-Village: Uh... how do you see exactly where MRs are going? Ask Columbus Square where all their MR money went for the last 9 years.

kbinteriordesign said:
bones said:

True. Having a nearby shopping center and access to markets and restaurants within walking distance is a huge plus, but I think additional factors need to be taken into account. For example, when I lived in Corona Del Mar, I could basically park my car on the weekends and have a pleasant walk down to any of the shops and restaurants available on PCH. I'd see people out walking all the time. However, when I lived in West Irvine near the Irvine/Tustin Marketplace, there were several restaurants and shops within walking distance, but it was different having to walk down Jamboree vs PCH. I saw very few people in the neighborhood walking to the nearby stores and shops in that area. When I see the Woodbury Shopping Center, the busy roads that surround it remind me more of the Marketplace. In Portola Springs, we may not have a nearby shopping center, but every day I see several residents walking the trails in the mornings and afternoons, my husband and I being two of them. It fits our active lifestyle and gives us an opportunity to unplug every day.  So, I think it comes down to what you value as far as lifestyle. I'm not trying to sway minds one way or another, just trying to provide another perspective.

Sure.  There's a buyer for every neighborhood and house.  But it's FACT that Woodbury is walkable to stuff and it's FACT that Portola Springs is not.  Whether you choose to walk it is a personal thing, but there is value there.  If not for you, then maybe for your next buyer.  And of course, there are other pros/cons of each village that factor into the final buying decision.  P.S.  Woodbury is bordered by the Jeffrey Open Space Trail - lots of folks use that trail for walking/running. 

bones said:
Sure.  There's a buyer for every neighborhood and house.  But it's FACT that Woodbury is walkable to stuff and it's FACT that Portola Springs is not.  Whether you choose to walk it is a personal thing, but there is value there.  If not for you, then maybe for your next buyer.  And of course, there are other pros/cons of each village that factor into the final buying decision.  P.S.  Woodbury is bordered by the Jeffrey Open Space Trail - lots of folks use that trail for walking/running.

I'm aware that Woodbury is near the Jeffrey Open Space Trail. I just that thought it might be helpful to others to point out that Portola Springs has more than just the fire station to walk to. The numerous trails in Irvine are one of the best features of the city. It's a great perk that residents of Irvine should definitely take advantage of. :)

kbinteriordesign said:
bones said:

I'm aware that Woodbury is near the Jeffrey Open Space Trail. I just that thought it might be helpful to others to point out that Portola Springs has more than just the fire station to walk to. The numerous trails in Irvine are one of the best features of the city. It's a great perk that residents of Irvine should definitely take advantage of. :)

Oof - that fire station comment touched a nerve huh?  :)

Portola Springs is a great neighborhood.  In fact, I believed in it so much I was one of the early homeowners there :)

Too bad it hasn't materialized into the village it was supposed to be.  But all things considered, it's still a great place to raise a family.  Good luck!

bones said:
Oof - that fire station comment touched a nerve huh?  :)

Portola Springs is a great neighborhood.  In fact, I believed in it so much I was one of the early homeowners there :)

Too bad it hasn't materialized into the village it was supposed to be.  But all things considered, it's still a great place to raise a family.  Good luck!

Haha well, often times I see people focus on the negative aspects of a neighborhood, whether it's Portola Springs, The Great Park, etc. It is definitely important to take note of certain things, but sometimes it can overshadow the positives of a community and I wouldn't want someone to miss out on those positives while they are considering the different neighborhoods.

bones said:

As a resident of Portola Springs, I agree with bones. www.walkscore.com gives my home a walk score of 1. Interestingly enough - my last home (in a different city) has a walk score of 36. We walk a lot more here than we did previously since the "walking distance" shops were all around a mile away. Here we have parks and pools to walk to.

paperboyNC said:
bones said:

As a resident of Portola Springs, I agree with bones. www.walkscore.com gives my home a walk score of 1. Interestingly enough - my last home (in a different city) has a walk score of 36. We walk a lot more here than we did previously since the "walking distance" shops were all around a mile away. Here we have parks and pools to walk to.

We are hoping that the area being graded near the 241 off of Portola becomes a shopping center. It still wouldn't quite be walking distance, especially with it being up the hill, but it would at least be nearby.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Compressed-Village: Uh... how do you see exactly where MRs are going? Ask Columbus Square where all their MR money went for the last 9 years.

So do you play tennis, volleyball or even soccers? GP has this and anyone can use it, but reality is that if you live in Santa Ana as an example, do you really drive 1 hour to play soccer? I say 1 hour is because not the distance but the traffics on the roads to get here. Seconds, the pools is extra cool for me. I?ve been many pools and none as nice as GP pools. Third school is built and ready from day 1 that you move in at Cadence Park. The Tustin schools district continue to take mello Roos and fallen short in this area in the past. Lately, they have stepping up their games after decade of false promises to Mello Roos payers. Their record of taken mello without improvements is visible.

Now, there is always improvements to be made at any institution. Even the higher learning one. And Beacon and Cadence is going thru growing pain and acknowledgment is made for better.

Back