Cable v. Satellite

I use Cox for HD cable (no premium channels), a cable card for my HD TiVo, and Internet. I think we pay about $110. I like TiVo too much to get something that doesn't let me use it. I haven't found anything that is really much more affordable than cable. Satellite seems to be about the same. Note that with satellite TV, you still need to get internet and phone from somewhere. I think the satellite places give you internet via DSL. It seems like internet via cable tends to be faster than via DSL.

Cox has baited and switched me so many times. . . btw: Their rates are going up. . .. <a href="http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/01/cox_oc_09.pdf">http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/01/cox_oc_09.pdf</a>

Tried the antenna route. . .no luck as the channels are very fuzzy. Not willing to go an outdoor antenna just yet.

Satellite is out as there is no direct sight line. . . why can they not have satellites orbiting to the north of the US. Seems like the satellite companies are precluding themselves from many potential customers.

So, stuck with COX (the basics) until ATT get with it and sets up U-verse.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1233742353]how much is the FIOS? I am nearby, but still have TWC for internet (are you talking internet, or tv plus internet?).</blockquote>

I have Verizon's FiOS for TV, Internet, and Phone.

Let's see. For the FiOS Extreme HD Package + HBO/Skinemax/Movie is $87.99. With the rentals of the STB and taxes, my TV bill is $122. The $122 includes my free Home Media DVR for one year. When the year is up (Nov. 2009), the bill will go up by $20.

My Internet is 20 Mbps/ 5 Mbps and it is $52.99.

The Internet speeds have been consistent throughout.

[quote author="HB_Renter" date=1233798133]

I have Verizon's FiOS for TV, Internet, and Phone.

Let's see. For the FiOS Extreme HD Package + HBO/Skinemax/Movie is $87.99. With the rentals of the STB and taxes, my TV bill is $122. The $122 includes my free Home Media DVR for one year. When the year is up (Nov. 2009), the bill will go up by $20.

My Internet is 20 Mbps/ 5 Mbps and it is $52.99.

The Internet speeds have been consistent throughout.</blockquote>

So what is the total bill for TV, internet, and phone?

[quote author="T!m" date=1233803390]

So what is the total bill for TV, internet, and phone?</blockquote>

$230 - 240 or so. It is saving me about $30 per month right now for much faster internet (20/5 vs. 6/1) and many more channels.. When I left TWC I went from about 20 HD channels to over 100.

I may call VZ to see what the package discount is, since I did not change my phone plan to the new Freedom Essentials package.

[quote author="HB_Renter" date=1233806928][quote author="T!m" date=1233803390]

$230 - 240 or so...</blockquote>

Yikes! :bug:

I feel like such a skinflint.

No home phone, use our cells ($60 for two), no cable teevee, use antenna ($0), and TW cable internet ($45, 6/1 is plenty).

[quote author="T!m" date=1233814821][quote author="HB_Renter" date=1233806928][quote author="T!m" date=1233803390]

$230 - 240 or so...</blockquote>

Yikes! :bug:</blockquote>

and to think it was even more before.

:vampire:

At least the PQ (especially in HD) is MUCH better on VZ than it was on TWC.

Back