Cable v. Satellite

Okay.. . we are moving from one IAC complex to another but now have access to a "south" facing sky and thus an option of having satellite TV.

I would like to get people's opinion on the age old question of Satellite v. Cable.

Cox is incredibly expensive and it looks like they are getting stingy with their deals. Dish Network has a fantastic offer (too good to be true?) and DirecTV seems to be in the middle. Any suggestions, warnings, and/or complaints?

Dish: Customer service sucks!! Takes a long time to get ahold of anyone, but there are ways around it - use the online customer support live chat. Low cost packages are good if you don't add the premium channels. Their HD-Only packages do not carry channels that are not in HD (such as MTV, VH1...) Be sure to look at what exactly is included with each HD package on their website. Remember that local programming is an extra $5/mo. Overall my experience with them is terrible. Pretty bad reception affecting picture and sound. They would keep sending out these unskilled technicians who took repeated attempts to "fix" things and it was clear they had no idea what they were doing. Also when we moved and were not able to get reception of any kind they refused to let us out of our contract. We switched to Cox (they paid for us to break our Dish contract if we signed with them so we did.) The only thing I liked about Dish was the DVR itself - it holds a lot more recordings than the Cox box.

Cox: Has been great so far. The phone / internet / TV package is a good deal at $82.19/mo. Our breakdown: $33.53 cable (HD/DVR); $29.99 Internet (Preferred); Telephone $12.89 (+1.92 in toll calls); $3.86 fees/taxes. That's with these discounts included: $5 internet bundle discount, $16.67 cable discount for No Dish (which expires after 6 months)

We use Cox for TV and for internet. I've been pretty happy with Cox for years. Although, I also bought a TiVo HD and get annoyed at watching TV "live". I don't think any of the other DVRs are as good as TiVo yet. It seems that DirectTV's DVRs are the closest.

I canceled DISH about 6 months ago and they've called me at least 4 times to see if I'll come back... How hard is it for them to understand my new place doesn't have line of sight?

Does the Sonicview 4000 do HD?

I don't believe teh SonicView 4000 is HD, but maybe the Sonic View 8000? The reg box is $500 with the dish, and HD is $800.

I get about 10,000 channels, every single football/baseball/basketball/hockey channel, all the PPV movies and UFC/boxing matches, every single HBO/showtime/movie channel/starz/cinemax etc etc

Total monthly cost? $0. Shhhhhhhh.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1222914832][quote author="darsh09" date=1222888500]... How hard is it for them to understand my new place doesn't have line of sight?

</blockquote>

Obviously, they can't see it.</blockquote>

Dish sent out a technician to install for us when we moved and even though he confirmed we can not get reception, the company still didn't give a care and wouldn't let us out of the contract.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1222915318]Shooby, I have an old receiever, but I think last time I turn it on, I only can get NASA TV and some local channels. The rest of the channels need some kind of key to view. Someone ask me to change the aiming of the antenna for different set of satellite, but the dish is a bit too high for me to play around. Is there anyone that you know that can help me with the physical adjustment (or mount a turret/positioner on the dish), or it is not worth while? I think it is called NudeSat, XXX-Sat or something like that.</blockquote>

The positioning of the satellite isn't the problem, I did that blindly when I moved. I just kind of guessed where SouthWest was and pointed in that direction and got signal. The problem is the keys. You need the latest updated software (key) in order to receive programming in your box.

The newest models have a USB port where you can just download the .bin file and load it into your receiver, and about a minute later, you have picture again. My feed will go out about once a week, for about 8 hours before they hack and upload the new Bin file. If your receiver is out of date, then they may not create a bin file for that particular model. I know a guy who can help you, but he'll also want to sell you a new receiver.

I don't have cable of any kind but I have a co-worker who has att uverse and absolutely loves it!!

Its cheaper than most of the competition (cable or satellite) depending on your area.

Just curious does anyone have any experience with Verizon's <a href="http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS/?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=FIS21&PromoSrcCode=V&POEId=VU1SP&CMP=DMC-FIS21">FIOS</a>? I know it is available in the OC in select cities (Huntington Beach, Westminster, etc...). It sounds great--fiber optic connections, high speed internet, telephone and tv. Just never met anyone with direct experience with this new system.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1222932230]I have direct tv. I love it so long as I never have anything to do with those donkeys. They have the WORST SERVICE EVER.</blockquote>

I had DirecTV for years until I sold my condo. Their service sucks and their DirecTV Plus DVR sucked even worse. My TiVo unit for DirecTV crapped out one day (it was great by the way) and I got the lame replacement from DirecTV. Had to reboot that thing frequently to get it working. It failed me on one too many Lakers games. Switched to Cox on a bundled package, saved money, and have no issues at all with their DVR. Cox rocks!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1222940218][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1222932230]I have direct tv. I love it so long as I never have anything to do with those donkeys. They have the WORST SERVICE EVER.</blockquote>

I had DirecTV for years until I sold my condo. Their service sucks and their DirecTV Plus DVR sucked even worse. My TiVo unit for DirecTV crapped out one day (it was great by the way) and I got the lame replacement from DirecTV. Had to reboot that thing frequently to get it working. It failed me on one too many Lakers games. Switched to Cox on a bundled package, saved money, and have no issues at all with their DVR. Cox rocks!</blockquote>

Sounds like a Cox Cable pitch here. DTV is cheaper than any cable package out there. And to say DTV service sucks is somewhat misleading. All cable service sucks so in terms a relativity, it's about equal, but price wise and HD availability, DTV pretty much rules. And for anyone who's had problems with their Tivo DVR, google weaknees, they have put life back into 3 of my DVRs from Tivo. They are awesome and can also add memory to your DVR.

I need more advice on this point so I am reviving this thread. . .so thanks ahead of time.

So fed up with Cox $50 for basic cable, $30 for internet, and $15 for the phone. . $5 discount (yeah). . with taxes and fees. . .have to pay $100 a month just for the bare minimal. So looking for alternatives.

1) Dish. . .I have a patio that faces south south west. .. thought that it was good news but I learned that I need a SE facing sky. . . Has anyone had experience with how close one has to be to the optimum direction to get reception?

2) HD Antenna. . .going cheap and foregoing the cable. How well do they work? How many channels do you get in Irvine?

Thanks again.

i am antenna only in HB, and get all of the LA stations, even a bit of SD broadcast. that is with a $20 indoor antenna. a little rough for a few stations (fiddle with antenna direction), but mostly ok.

If you were to install an outdoor antenna (has to face ~north to mt. wilson), you will be golden.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1233368284]1) Dish. . .I have a patio that faces south south west. .. thought that it was good news but I learned that I need a SE facing sky. . . Has anyone had experience with how close one has to be to the optimum direction to get reception?

</blockquote>
As far as I know... this just has to be a clear line of site... no trees or any other obstructions.

I think for the price, you get more channels than cable. The only thing is you will have some reception issues from time to time... but I get that with cable.

<blockquote>

2) HD Antenna. . .going cheap and foregoing the cable. How well do they work? How many channels do you get in Irvine?

</blockquote>
Depends on what you like to watch on TV. If you don't care about any of the ESPN, HGTV, MTV, E!, SciFi, TBS, TNT channels (did I cover the whole spectrum there?)... you should be fine. Otherwise you have to go satellite since you are fed up with cable.

Cox is expensive I think my monthly bill for Internet, 2 HD boxes, 2 DVRs, and phone service is $150/month, but their customer service is very good IMHO.

Back