Buying a House in OC

It was a very highly ranked highschool in newsweek many years ago.  I think it was ranked #7.  This ranking was used to advertise in China causing inflated property prices.

fortune11 said:
Thanks . Is this that much better than orchard hills or quail hill (better in my opinion ) .

Well, a lot closer to the 405, better views of the ocean if you have a view, and a very peaceful neighborhood.  If I had 2 million to spend I'd look real hard at a view lot from Terra in OH3 though.  I really like the floorplans and the community pool is the nicest I've ever seen.  That's almost double my (comfort level) budget though so just wishful thinking.  I'll probably buy in PS.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
fortune11 said:
Thanks . Is this that much better than orchard hills or quail hill (better in my opinion ) .

Well, a lot closer to the 405, better views of the ocean if you have a view, and a very peaceful neighborhood.  If I had 2 million to spend I'd look real hard at a view lot from Terra in OH3 though.  I really like the floorplans and the community pool is the nicest I've ever seen.  That's almost double my (comfort level) budget though so just wishful thinking.  I'll probably buy in PS.

My point was specifically about the ?views? . I get it that lots are bigger , peaceful neighborhood. But I still think many homes here need a tear down .

It's more than just the view. I know a lot of people like us who works near SNA would not consider anything east of the 5. OH/PS location is just too remote.
If you like to walk trails, TR is the best according to my parents.
The weather is also nicer in TR compared to OH/PS, much cooler in the summer time.

What do you guys think about sending kids to a private school and live rather in Lake Forest or less expensive areas than Irvine? Would the private school tuition kinda even out with Irvine's MR or the higher price tag?

Mety said:
What do you guys think about sending kids to a private school and live rather in Lake Forest or less expensive areas than Irvine? Would the private school tuition kinda even out with Irvine's MR or the higher price tag?

I have a friend that recently bought a house in Lake Forest near Serrano Creek Park. He got a huge lot (over quarter acre) and paid around $250/sqft. He kept his kids in Irvine school by paying someone for a fake lease. He told me that he would be closer to the Cultural Terrance Lake when it gets built than most people who actually live in Irvine and wont have to pay for it.

Mety said:

That's been asked about many non-Irvine cities before.

It just all depends, do you want your kids to go school with the same kids who live around you? Is the private school of choice better than an IUSD school? Is the non-Irvine city you are living in close enough to work, friends and activities?

We even went through this exercise ourselves when looking at Tustin Ranch and Aliso Viejo (just not the private school part).

shahshah said:

I wouldn't trust Zillow 100%, but while Irvine might be in Hot status, other cities are all either in Cool or Cold status. Good cities including Irvine could stay warmer longer than other cities, but it is showing that RE business is a bit slower nation wide. It could be seasonal, but we shall see in upcoming months pretty soon. The OP says he recently sold the home which means MAXROI made! Maybe waiting a bit might be a smart move? 

Kenkoko said:
In case anyone still doubt the slowdown, this Marigold plan 3 in CV just closed today for 930k.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/60-Rockcress-92618/home/112722299

This very same plan 3 was closing at 1.05 mil and 1.06 mil just a few months before

This one sold for 1.05 milhttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/74-Scented-Violet-92620/home/58557049

This one sold for 1.068 milhttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/55-Hanging-Gdn-92618/home/112719945

Yes, there is a slowdown for sure. Many other homes in the same tract are being listed less and less than couple months ago. The price is still pretty high, but the trend seems to be going lower in order to sell fast.

So we checked couple open houses from Irvine, Lake Forest and Yorba Linda over the last couple weeks. We will still search more until our rent is almost over, but we found Irvine to be more a friendly place to grow our family or raise children. We?ve been living in Irvine already so that could be why we are feeling this way, but from visiting the open houses experience, we felt more comfortable from Irvine than other areas?. The houses from Yorba Linda and Lake Forest had bigger yards and most of them were single story which was great, but the room layouts felt outdated and the houses needed a lot of work since they were all pretty old. The community felt safer in Irvine to be walking around and go to parks and schools also. The only drawback is the price, but we?ll see where it takes and maybe we might have to sacrifice a little bit on the lot size.

ucoc said:
So we checked couple open houses from Irvine, Lake Forest and Yorba Linda over the last couple weeks. We will still search more until our rent is almost over, but we found Irvine to be more a friendly place to grow our family or raise children. We?ve been living in Irvine already so that could be why we are feeling this way, but from visiting the open houses experience, we felt more comfortable from Irvine than other areas?. The houses from Yorba Linda and Lake Forest had bigger yards and most of them were single story which was great, but the room layouts felt outdated and the houses needed a lot of work since they were all pretty old. The community felt safer in Irvine to be walking around and go to parks and schools also. The only drawback is the price, but we?ll see where it takes and maybe we might have to sacrifice a little bit on the lot size.

Buy what you can afford.

eyephone said:
ucoc said:

Buy what you can afford.

Agreed.

Back