Buying a House in OC

USCTrojanCPA said:
You may also want to consider Tustin Ranch and Foothill Ranch as a good alternative.

The location of Tustin Ranch is definitely a good alternative. We haven?t seen a good SFR there yet though. Hopefully will come more listings in 2019. Are there some single floor houses in that area still zoned to good schools? I may be wanting too much in our budget though.

Foothill Ranch or Lake Forest is a little bit far from everything for us.

Rizdak said:
ucoc said:
Yes, we will have to wait a bit since our rent is up to late 2019. We should start looking more seriously soon though since it may take months to find and remodel and completely move in. Hopefully there will come more homes in our budget. We did see that Appomattax one. We liked everything except it was backing Trabuco. But it was nice that no home was behind. I thought it was sold already, but looks like it?s relisted.

For what it?s worth as someone who?s lived next to a busy Irvine road... traffic and noise only get worse as the county expands. Just something I would reconsider if I could go back 10 years.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. We?ll take that into consideration.

Thank you everyone for your comments. It seems like we should try to avoid close proximity to big roads since we have a little one.

Just another note from el camino, the ranch. Ive heard from some friends that on the west side of norris that have no issues with the railroad. I would suspect then that Kron and Skinner are fine on the West side of the street. I?m sire the other side of the street is fine as well probably up to the last house but I don?t know anyone there sorry! I would be hu ting hard in these areas you can not replace good location but a house can be replaced. that el camino area may be the last really central area to stake a claim on some land, lime in the movie, far and away :)

So when I lived in Westpark II, I could always here the railroad and that was at least 2 hoods over from our location. Back in the day, I would spend some time with friends who lived in that El Camino area and would always hear (and feel) the train.

But maybe I'm noise sensitive... qwerdeaf couldn't hear the train even if he was riding in it. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
So when I lived in Westpark II, I could always here the railroad and that was at least 2 hoods over from our location. Back in the day, I would spend some time with friends who lived in that El Camino area and would always hear (and feel) the train.

But maybe I'm noise sensitive... qwerdeaf couldn't hear the train even if he was riding in it. :)

I once lived in Westpark I and even from there I could hear the railroad. Usually at night time when everything was super quiet though. I also could hear the airplane noise, but it wasn?t too bad.

ucoc said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I once lived in Westpark I and even from there I could hear the railroad. Usually at night time when everything was super quiet though. I also could hear the airplane noise, but it wasn?t too bad.

You could hear the airplanes and trains!??  :'( I've been focused on buying my first home in Westpark due to it's close location to the 405 and it's in the middle of everything. Hmm...was the noise a deal breaker?

superbobbay said:
ucoc said:
irvinehomeowner said:

You could hear the airplanes and trains!??  :'( I've been focused on buying my first home in Westpark due to it's close location to the 405 and it's in the middle of everything. Hmm...was the noise a deal breaker?

I also loved the location of Westpark. The noise was not too bad. The airplane noise was usually in the morning, but some days I couldn?t hear it. Pretty minimum level though. I think you can hear the train sound when it makes the sound no matter where you are, but nothing like the shaking from the railroad or anything like that. I wouldn?t say the noise was a deal breaker for me.

@superbobbay:

As ucoc said, the airplane noise is minimal because it's usually during the day. The flight path is actually more over the Tustin side of Harvard (qwerplane!).

Westpark I is more south of the train, so you'll hear it less. Where I lived in Westpark II was closer to Irvine Center Drive so closer to the tracks. But in either WP location, the train noise is not loud enough to be a deal breaker.

talkirvine said:
Any recommendation of neighbourhoods for a 2m budget? All the other criteria are the same as OP. Thanks.

What exactly are you looking for?

Your criteria only lists max budget of $2 million and location of Orange County.

For those criteria you can buy beach front condo in Laguna Beach or 1935 Colonial style home in Floral Park.

I have been in Turtle rock several times. Nothing special to me. And houses over there take time to sell. But why did everyone mention it? What's so good about turtle rock? Just low tax and hoa? I am really curious.

irvinehomeowner said:
talkirvine said:
Any recommendation of neighbourhoods for a 2m budget? All the other criteria are the same as OP. Thanks.

Quail Hill.

For less tax and low HOA, Turtle Rock.

It was the original jewel of Irvine encompassing the highly sought after uni high.

TRock is the OG elevated hood of Irvine.

I think there are some spots with a view of the ocean.

It?s older but if you fix one up, the topography and space is great. Also, no trains, planes or automobiles. :)

I liked TR in the beginning but then realized it is ?neither here nor there?  . Difficult in getting in and out , all the new development in retail is happening far away from it , views are of local hills at best and maybe a sliver of the ocean from some parts but nothing great .  Not that close to Newport Beach either . But you are getting uni high and a prestigious neighborhood

And it needs to be torn down and rebuilt just like west LA but home values are still too high to allow for that .  And that?s the Crux of the matter ? prices

fortune11 said:
I liked TR in the beginning but then realized it is ?neither here nor there?  . Difficult in getting in and out , all the new development in retail is happening far away from it , views are of local hills at best and maybe a sliver of the ocean from some parts but nothing great .  Not that close to Newport Beach either . But you are getting uni high and a prestigious neighborhood

And it needs to be torn down and rebuilt just like west LA but home values are still too high to allow for that .  And that?s the Crux of the matter ? prices

There are some gems in TR that have amazing views though:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/19181-Woodford-Ter-92603/home/4740780

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
fortune11 said:

There are some gems in TR that have amazing views though:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/19181-Woodford-Ter-92603/home/4740780

Thanks . Is this that much better than orchard hills or quail hill (better in my opinion ) .

I like TRock. The homes there have views and more privacy than newer Irvine homes. The exterior though need some renovation/remodeling. They look straight outta 70s (bad ones).

Another hype I don't really get is, University High School. Anyone went there? What's so good about it? It's close to UCI, but what other advantages?

Back