Burger Thread

irvinehomeowner

Just for @qwerty.

I know we have discussed this in the Junk Fooding thread and the most recent Shake Shack thread but where is the best burger in Irvine?

In and Out is my go to for price, flavor and convenience but I just recently had the Wagyu burger again at Wagyu Grill and that's got to be my top choice right now.

I prefer char-grilled like Carls and BK (which makes In&Out a strange choice for me because they are flat cooked) but I usually don't like to spend too much on a burger.

What's funny is Carl's did this whole promotion around $6(?) burgers because they were trying to sell theirs as just as good as restaurant burgers... but now aren't even all fast food burgers around $6?

The shocking one is McDs... I think the QPC and the Big Mac are all close to $6.

I guess $10 is the new $6.

Last edited:
I've always liked Carl's Jr. $6 burger the best. Well, until they went with thick burger. I hate thick buns. Their fries years ago were pretty bad, but it got better a few years ago. When I was living in Eastvale, we had the Carl's Jr. coupon every other week, but I don't get them in Irvine, unfortunately. I ate a lot of Carl's Jr. and some In-N-Out during the pandemic because working from home for 2 weeks every 2 weeks. To the point that my son got sick of burgers. :ROFLMAO: I think he dislikes Carl's Jr. now, but still likes In-N-Out.

I also liked Islands burger the few times we went there.

I'll need to try Wagyu Grill one of these days.

The McDouble is one of my favorites. The habit is good as well. I have yet to try the wagyu burger from Wagyu.

They opened up a “the stand” over in Tustin where the old Panera location was next to Ralph’s on Jamboree/Irvine Blvd - it’s been open for a couple of weeks and have gotten takeout a couple of times. The stand on Alton was too far.

I prefer to roll the BBQ to the front yard and make my own burgers, waving to passing neighbors while enjoying a cold one. I suppose that's not much of an option with the pocket parks in Irvine.

Look up Alton Brown's Burger of the Gods recipe - 1 lb of 80/20 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt, then cook them in the cast iron. So easy and tasty.

We just got a Slater's 50/50 up here. Any good?

I guess $10 is the new $6.
$10 is definitely the new $6.

Anyone have opinions on The Cut on Alton? Good reviews on Yelp but haven't tried it yet.

The Stand is pretty good. I actually really like their Grand Stand Turkey Sandwich.

In-n-Out is good, but mostly like it for their price. Which In-N-Out has the worst drive-thru lines in Irvine/Tustin? I hate the one at the Marketplace.

$10 is definitely the new $6.

Anyone have opinions on The Cut on Alton? Good reviews on Yelp but haven't tried it yet.

The Stand is pretty good. I actually really like their Grand Stand Turkey Sandwich.

In-n-Out is good, but mostly like it for their price. Which In-N-Out has the worst drive-thru lines in Irvine/Tustin? I hate the one at the Marketplace.

The one by UCI has a HUGE line, best one is at The District.

Look up Alton Brown's Burger of the Gods recipe - 1 lb of 80/20 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt, then cook them in the cast iron. So easy and tasty.

We just got a Slater's 50/50 up here. Any good?
I haven’t been to slaters in a while. Used to go to the one in lake forest but then they closed it. I thought it was really good. But that was a while ago.

I am a giant carnivore burger monster…I know it’s not in your zone but it is well worth the drive. This is hands down the best burger in the area and Dave really is the soup nazi (he won’t allow take out) it’s the starter box on a lame nine hole executive golf course😆😆😆

Favorite Fast Food Burger is The Stand French Onion burger, so good.

Favorite restaurant burger is Cheesecake Factory Americana Cheeseburger, add onion straws and side of ranch for dipping.

Tried The Cut and didn’t care for it much, not sure what all the hype is about.

Hungry now.

All this burger talk made me go to the Wagyu Grill on Irvine Center Drive with a buddy.

Talked up the burger to him and then when we went to order it, the guy at the counter (who I've seen there before and is a bit on the.... how do you say it... not customer service friendly side) is telling my friend that the burger isn't very good. He orders it anyways and then when I tell the guy that I've had the burger before and it's good... he proceeds to say that he prefers the burgers at McDonalds across the parking lot and when people order the burger... he sends them there. I asked about their new chicken sandwich... and again... not recommended by him.

This was so funny because the previous times I have been there, the other people taking our order said the burger and chicken sandwich were good so not sure if this guy is the owner and doesn't make that much on the burgers or what.

Regardless, my friend liked it too so he had no idea what the guy was talking about. Next time I'll go to the one on Sand Canyon.

All this time at the Marketplace and I still haven't tried it... how is Hopdoddy?

It's just tough because In and Out is right there and so much cheaper.

All this time at the Marketplace and I still haven't tried it... how is Hopdoddy?

Hopdoddy isn't bad...I recommend heading up a few streets to the newer Stand location by Ralph's. The Stand makes some of the best burgers in my opinion.

Yes, several times. Order online ahead and pickup or you will be waiting in a long line. It is good, and reasonably priced. Crack is still a superior smash burger thoughIMG_1574.jpeg

Last edited:

My fav item at Hopdoddy is the queso, but I'm originally from Texas and it's the closest I've found. Quality control is variable unfortunately so sometimes it'll come out watery and gross.

Back