Built-in refrigerator

I know this thread is almost 3 years old but running into the same issue at Pavilion Park.  Lyon Homes (Whistler) also does not build the cabinet opening to accomodate a 48" builtin refrigerator unless you purchase from them.  I measured the cabinet opening of a Phase 1 home (no builtin option) and it appears wide enough but not the 82-84" tall to accomodate a builtin.  Have others run into this issue recently?  If so, what was the cost to modify the cabinet to accomodate the builtin afterwards if not buying the refrigerator thru builder?  Note that you can buy 48" builtins outside for $6500-7500 new vs. $9700 thru builder.  In addition, I have seen them resold thru used appliance stores for $3-4K or as cheap as $2500 on Craigslist.  Wondering if others are buying the builder option for close to $10K for a 48" builtin refrigerator.  Thanks.

If you are getting a built in fridge with cabinet panel doors you will have to have a cabinet maker come in and redo the crown molding that goes around the cabinets and includes the built in fridge (and have him make the panel to match the cabinets as well).

We are moving into Pavilion Park in the Great Parks neighborhood and I am looking to have a built in installed so it looks like we will be pulling out the cabinets above the refrigerator so they can be modified. I am getting it quoted this week. Might consider doing it myself since it looks like an easy DIY.

If you can do it yourself, you should.  Contractor's workers are not the most caring people in the world when they work on a job.  Especially your new house.

macmovieman said:
We are moving into Pavilion Park in the Great Parks neighborhood and I am looking to have a built in installed so it looks like we will be pulling out the cabinets above the refrigerator so they can be modified. I am getting it quoted this week. Might consider doing it myself since it looks like an easy DIY.

Make sure you know what you are doing. Because if you make a mistake removing the cabinet. It might cost you more to fix it than if you hired someone to do it.

macmovieman said:
Find out who the sub is that's installing your cabinets and call them directly.  Ask them for a quote for what you wanna do after COE.

OCgasman said:
ho the sub is that's installing your cabinets and call them directly.  Ask them for a quote for what you wanna do after COE.

+1...I did this to change the door/laminate colors on our bathroom cabinets.  They charged a fraction of what the builder would have charged.

I live in Pavilion Park in the Great Park and had the same problem of wanting a built in but not really wanting to pay the $10K thru the builder.  The builder also would only modify the cabinetry if you bought the refrigerator thru them otherwise they give you a 36" opening instead of 48".  I made a request via the sales folks to the builder's upper management to offer 48" opening as an option without the purchase of the refrigerator.  After a few weeks they approved that as a new option for around $900.  You can probably have this done cheaper directly from the subs but figured I wanted it done before I moved in and did not want warranty issues.  I bought a used Kitchenaid 48" on Craigslist for $1700 plus $275 for delivery and installation thru a local delivery company that has experience in moving large appliances.  I often see used 48" builtins on Craigslist for $2k-4K.  Thanks.

Logik

Wow, some really great advise guys. I am reaching out to the sub contractor tomorrow and will request rates on moving to a 48 inch. I will also get a quote to take down the cabinet and raise to 84 inches and keep the 36 inch. I looked at Sub Zero factory showroom, Thermador, Perch and a few others for quotes and all were high. I found a place that sells demos and can get a new model for much, much less. Still going to run me $6k for a $10k refrig but that is a fair trade off for me. Now it looks like I can begin getting quotes for the 48 inch.  >:D

Builder only offers built-in refrigerator option. Will 36" counter-depth fridge fit in the opening for 36" built-in? or have to go to 42" built-in opening?

Calisun said:
Builder only offers built-in refrigerator option. Will 36? counter-depth fridge fit in the opening for 36? built-in? or have to go to 42? built-in opening?

Depends...the builder (or their design center) can provide you with the cabinet specifications.  You can then compare that to the refrigerator's specs.  I can't imagine why a free-standing counter-depth fridge wouldn't fit into an opening for a built-in.  You will, however, have a fairly noticeable gap on the top of the fridge, as built-ins are generally taller than free-standing.

gasman said:
Calisun said:
Builder only offers built-in refrigerator option. Will 36? counter-depth fridge fit in the opening for 36? built-in? or have to go to 42? built-in opening?

Depends...the builder (or their design center) can provide you with the cabinet specifications.  You can then compare that to the refrigerator's specs.  I can't imagine why a free-standing counter-depth fridge wouldn't fit into an opening for a built-in.  You will, however, have a fairly noticeable gap on the top of the fridge, as built-ins are generally taller than free-standing.

The top gap is deal-able-with. It's the side gap thats annoying. So make sure you check the sides measurements too. I was not able to find a non-built-in fridge for my built in space without a side gap. Maybe you can...

bones said:
gasman said:
Calisun said:

The top gap is deal-able-with. It's the side gap thats annoying. So make sure you check the sides measurements too. I was not able to find a non-built-in fridge for my built in space without a side gap. Maybe you can...

I get confused. Is opening on sides for built in bigger than non-built-in? I thought the opposite.

Calisun said:
I get confused. Is opening on sides for built in bigger than non-built-in? I thought the opposite.

Depends.  Why don't you compare the dimensions of the built-in with a free-standing?  Google works wonders. :)

Back