Built-in refrigerator

fish2cat said:
My new home is located in Paloma at Portola Springs. No alternation was made to the case opening area as almost all 42" built-in fridge come with a standard height and width. The installers simply performed some general procedures, i.e. connecting the water and electrical supply, sliding it in the case area, and stabling it with some screwing work. 

Thanks for the info.  So in appears the cutout was made for anyone to install their own built in.  In Sonoma I believe the cutout changes if you don't get the built in.  The height is not high enough to slide in your own build in w/o modifications.

fish2cat said:
We did not go with the builder's option but to buy a Kitchen-Aid 42" built-in with a very good price from a special source - $5,600 included tax and delivery plus $200 installation.  The installation workers did a wonderful job. We love our fridge and everything works out.

That is a great price!!
Is your special source something you can share with us?

Hi All,

I am new to this message board.  My wife and I will be moving into Sonoma in a few months and I have the same concerns about a built-in refrigerator.  We measured the openings last night.  The standard cabinet opening is 42" wide while the opening for the built-in cabinet is 41.5".  So not only will we have a height problem, but also a width problem.

Sonoma

sonoma said:
Hi All,

I am new to this message board.  My wife and I will be moving into Sonoma in a few months and I have the same concerns about a built-in refrigerator.  We measured the openings last night.  The standard cabinet opening is 42" wide while the opening for the built-in cabinet is 41.5".  So not only will we have a height problem, but also a width problem.

Sonoma

There's a lip on the built-in-fridge that covers a part of side cabinet, so the 0.5" should not be a problem.  The 42" width is same as what they are using if you buy the built-in from them.
You just have to worry about the height.

Unless you upgrade to a built-in refrigerator for $9,000 at Sonoma, the standard cabinet requires modifications to allow for a built-in refrigerator after the close of escrow.

The contractors I've spoken with say it is a simply modification with an estimated cost of $500.  The modifications require:
(1) the removal of the cabinet above the refrigerator space.  you will notice some plugs underneath and at the back of the cabinets which hide the screws that secure it
(2) a panel will be required between the upper molding and the top of the built in refrigerator.
(3) the electrical outlet will need to be repositioned per the manufacturer's requirements.  since this is a simple repositioning of an existing outlet, i was informed by the contractors and the builder that a permit is not required

The cost of a 42" kitchen aid refrigerator with water/ice dispenser with tax, delivery and installation is ~$7,000.  Plus the $500 fee for modifying the cabinet results in a $7,500 cost.

myirvine said:
Unless you upgrade to a built-in refrigerator for $9,000 at Sonoma, the standard cabinet requires modifications to allow for a built-in refrigerator after the close of escrow.

The contractors I've spoken with say it is a simply modification with an estimated cost of $500.  The modifications require:
(1) the removal of the cabinet above the refrigerator space.  you will notice some plugs underneath and at the back of the cabinets which hide the screws that secure it
(2) a panel will be required between the upper molding and the top of the built in refrigerator.
(3) the electrical outlet will need to be repositioned per the manufacturer's requirements.  since this is a simple repositioning of an existing outlet, i was informed by the contractors and the builder that a permit is not required

The cost of a 42" kitchen aid refrigerator with water/ice dispenser with tax, delivery and installation is ~$7,000.  Plus the $500 fee for modifying the cabinet results in a $7,500 cost.

I did pay for extra outlet where a built-in plug outlet would be at.  It was only about $40, so I paid for it just in case I decide to get a built in later.

Don't they make 42" wide non-built-in fridges that are counterdepth?

This way you get the built-in look without the built-in hassle?

oakcreekresident said:
Does anyone know how is built-in refrigerator being repaired? Do they have to remove the cabinets to do so?

The compressor and the other major parts are on top above the refrigerator, so they would just open up the cover perform many repairs without moving the fridge. 

My guess is that it will cost more to repair the built-in then a free standing fridge. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Don't they make 42" wide non-built-in fridges that are counterdepth?

This way you get the built-in look without the built-in hassle?

I have not seen any 42" freestanding refrigerator.  A quick "google" did not turn up anything either.

Yep... 36" seems to be the max.

Interesting... you would think that there would be a market for that but I think they don't want to eat the profit up on their 42" built-in products.

It seems to me that paying $9000 with the builder vs. $7500 later on (plus having to purchase a refrigerator that you later have to get rid of) doesn't make much sense.  I'd just do the upgrade now- you all are paying lots of $$$ for these homes- i don't see how $1500 extra is going to break the bank.  And a built in looks so much better.  I hate seeing $$ homes and they skimp out on the appliances.

It's not just the $1500 but the $9000 in property tax base increase that will need to be paid each year.

sonoma said:
It's not just the $1500 but the $9000 in property tax base increase that will need to be paid each year.

I think the bigger question is whether you "want" the built-in.  If you are sure that you want it, then going through the builder is probably the better choice.  There will be no hassle and it will be done right. 

Initially, I wanted a built-in.  But when I went to stores to look at them, I decided to wait.
If you go look at the new freestanding fridge, they are years ahead in "features" compared to the built-in.  For example, with freestanding, you can have french door with water/ice dispenser and currently there is no built-in with that capability.  LED lighting is also available on many freestanding, but not sure if any built-in has them.  Pull out shelves in fridge and pull out baskets in freezer are very hard to find in a built-in.  Pull out baskets in freezers are very handy for us in our current fridge. 

If I do see a built-in with features I want then I may get one later.

annabanana said:
Does anyone recommend the "extended" warranty from the Great Indoors? or other appliance outlets?

Depends on what the appliance is and how much it costs.

Also look into the manufacturer for extended warranty.  Many times, it's cheaper for an "expensive" appliance and you don't have to worry about holding on to meaningless paper later on.  Many extended warranty companies go out of business all the time. 

Kitchenaid 42" Refrigerator.  Great Indoors is having 25% off appliances now.  The extended warranty through them is 299 for 3 yrs or 499 for 5

I believe Kitchenaid has a 2 year limited warranty.

annabanana said:
Kitchenaid 42" Refrigerator.  Great Indoors is having 25% off appliances now.  The extended warranty through them is 299 for 3 yrs or 499 for 5

I believe Kitchenaid has a 2 year limited warranty.

kitchenaid.com has 3 years for $313.52, and I think that's 3 additional years which will make it equivalent to Great Indoors 5 yr plan.  Make sure you double check the facts, though.

Did you buy a new house?

I have to say, going with the extended warranty for cooking appliances is worth it IF you cook a lot. My mom cooked 9 out of 10 dinners for us in her oven/stove and she definitely got her money back in warranty repairs.

In fact, on her previous oven, GE finally gave her a new oven because they did not want to have to repair her old one anymore.

Back