Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals

...my kingdom for a good night's sleep...  =_=

After reviewing my online shopping cart for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I decided that I didn't really need more auto detailing supplies other than a bottle of Optimum Car Wax for next year.  The stuff is advertised to last up to 5 months so there is no need to buy a gallon (they do have limited shelf life when opened and stored in garage).  I'll probably order it with the new ONR formula next year.  One thing I like about Optimum products is how little product you need per application.  A bottle lasts a long time.

I haven't decided which cordless blower to get.  The only cordless power tool I own is a Chicago Electric cordless drill from Harbor Freight, so battery compatibility is less of a concern.  I do like the lightweight models that was recommended in posts above.  Since I only need to blow concrete & walkway areas, the lower power output is probably OK.  It's really annoying that these manufacturers insists on proprietary batteries.

If anyone wants to DIY ceramic coat your own car(s) for $30:  (price good today only)https://www.detailing.com/store/mckee-s-37-paint-coating-4-oz.html

Review:https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/automotive/review-mckees-37-sio2-paint-coating-new-formula/

eyephone said:
It looks like the Apple iPhone 12 pro is in demand. (blue and gold color, estimate ship time Jan 5 - 20 or something) I will take whatever color is available. I have to wait for that also. Lol Should arrive this week or next.

Apple Watch SE regular and SE Nike version are hard to get at the discount price. ($229)
Apple Watch 6 - certain colors are hard to get with the discount.

It looks like Micro Center prices are still the same for Apple watches. (Other stores changed the prices back to msrp)

I prefer to shop at Micro Center for computer accessories.  Last time when I ordered SSD's from Amazon they shipped it in a bag.  Yes, a bag, not a box.  No padding.  I know SSD's have no moving parts but still.  >_>

For Black Friday I ended up ordering 3 refurbished Worx tools off ebay's Worx store:
WG162 20V 2.0AH battery Trimmer
WG547 20V 2.0AH battery Blower
WG620 20V 4.0AH battery Hydroshot

The trimmer and blower came with 2 x 20v 2.0ah batteries and the slow charger, the hydroshot came with 20v 4.0ah battery with the fast charger.  The total for all 3 items including tax and shipping (free) was $148.82.  Products are refurb but did include accessories, such as the long hose, liter bottle adapter, lance, nozzle, quick adapter, etc. for the hydroshot.  They came with warranty card and I think qualifies for the extended 3 year warranty.

Initially I wanted the WG644 hydroshot with dual 20v battery and 450 psi.  But I couldn't find it at a good price, so I opted for the original hydroshot with 4.0ah battery and rapid charger.  The original charger is said to take 5 hours to recharge 20v 2.0ah battery.  The newer rapid charger can recharge 20v 2.0ah battery in 1 hour and 4.0ah battery in 2 hours.  Figured if I need something with higher psi, I have a 1600psi pressure washer in the garage.

So why 3 tools?  After reading reviews complaining of short battery life, I just ordered multiple tools with battery included.  The price per tool is about $50, the same as a Worx replacement battery (less for 3rd party batteries).  the 4.0ah battery and rapid charger should also come in handy.

I received the tools yesterday, assembled them and tested all 3 to be in good working order.  The batteries came pre-charged and I only used 1 x 20v 2.0ah battery for testing.  The same battery was used on the blower to sweep concrete areas & driveway around the house, then on the trimmer to whack some weeds in side and back yard, then plugged into the hydroshot to wash 1 side of garage exterior wall before the battery finally died.  I think the battery performance is fine.

Originally I wanted to buy a sweeper, but ended up with the Worx cordless blower.  This blower has 2 power settings, for sweeping concrete and drive way you really only need the low setting and occasionally high setting.  The low power setting is also great for blowing stuff off your mulch without blowing the mulch.  It's relatively quiet but not as lightweight.  On high power setting it serves as light leaf blower.  It's not strong enough for large yard with large piles of wet leaves.

The trimmer works fine for whacking weeds around the yard, but not strong enough to take out small branches on the fruit tree.  These are really lightweight tools for home owners and not suitable for professional use.

I may also get their cordless vacuum, since I already have 3 batteries I can just buy the bare tool.  But need to make sure I can get replacement filter first.

Have you been to Micro center lately?

momopi said:
I prefer to shop at Micro Center for computer accessories.  Last time when I ordered SSD's from Amazon they shipped it in a bag.  Yes, a bag, not a box.  No padding.  I know SSD's have no moving parts but still.  >_>

For Black Friday I ended up ordering 3 refurbished Worx tools off ebay's Worx store:
WG162 20V 2.0AH battery Trimmer
WG547 20V 2.0AH battery Blower
WG620 20V 4.0AH battery Hydroshot

The trimmer and blower came with 2 x 20v 2.0ah batteries and the slow charger, and the hydroshot came with 20v 4.0ah battery with the fast charger.  The total for all 3 items including tax and shipping (free) was $148.82.  Products are refurb but did include accessories, such as the long hose, liter bottle adapter, lance, nozzle, quick adapter, etc. for the hydroshot.  They came with warranty card and I think qualifies for the extended 3 year warranty.

Initially I wanted the WG644 hydroshot with dual 20v battery and 450 psi.  But I couldn't find it at a good price, so I opted for the original hydroshot with 4.0ah battery and rapid charger.  The original charger is said to take 5 hours to recharge 20v 2.0ah battery.  The newer rapid charger can recharge 20v 2.0ah battery in 1 hour and 4.0ah battery in 2 hours.  Figured if I needed something with higher psi, I have a 1600psi pressure washer in the garage.

So why 3 tools?  After reading reviews complaining of short battery life, I just ordered multiple tools with battery included.  The price per tool is about $50, the same as a Worx replacement battery (less for 3rd party batteries).  the 4.0ah battery and rapid charger should also come in handy.

I received the tools yesterday, assembled them and tested all 3 to be in good working order.  The batteries came pre-charged and I only used 1 x 20v 2.0ah battery for testing.  The same battery was used on the blower to sweep concrete areas & driveway around the house, then on the trimmer to whack some weeds in side and back yard, then plugged into the hydroshot to wash 1 side of garage exterior wall before the battery finally died.  I think the battery performance is fine.

Originally I wanted to buy a sweeper, but ended up with the Worx cordless blower.  This blower has 2 power settings, for sweeping concrete and drive way you really only need the low setting and occasionally high setting.  The low power setting is also great for blowing stuff off your mulch without blowing the mulch.  It's relatively quiet but not as lightweight.  On high power setting it serves as light leaf blower.  It's not strong enough for large yard with large piles of wet leaves.

The trimmer works fine for whacking weeds around the yard, but not strong enough to take out small branches on the fruit tree.  These are really lightweight tools for home owners and not suitable for professional use.

I may also get their cordless vacuum, since I already have 3 batteries I can just buy the bare tool.  But need to make sure I can get replacement filter first.

eyephone said:

The one in Tustin, yes.  I was there in Nov.  Depending on the item that you want to buy, stuff like RAM may require waiting in line for assistance.  For SSD you just need to grab someone to print a pick up sheet for the cashier.  It's best to go on weekdays when it's not as busy.

Reading momopi's post reminded me of my own search for a power drill. After looking at all the options, I went old school and bought a plug in version. For me it was a matter of cost savings, infrequent usage, and long term reliability

I had a battery powered one and used it a few times a year. The problem was that it would always be out of juice when I needed it. I hated having to wait for it to charge. Most of my jobs were within extension cord distance of any plug in my house/yard/garage.

The batteries also degrade over time and don't hold their charge. You end up stuck with a expensive door stopper if you can't get a proprietary battery replacement. I'm guessing my plugin drill should last me decades.

I ended up going to Home Depot to purchase a Dewalt plugin drill for 50% less than a battery version. As I was standing the sales rep for Milwaukee tried to stop me. She insisted I buy her "upgraded" battery version. I just smiled and went on my way.

momopi said:
eyephone said:

The one in Tustin, yes.  I was there in Nov.  Depending on the item that you want to buy, stuff like RAM may require waiting in line for assistance.  For SSD you just need to grab someone to print a pick up sheet for the cashier.  It's best to go on weekdays when it's not as busy.

Go to Yelp and look at their recent reviews about the wait.

I've been to MicroCenter a few times... it is a pain to get in depending on the day (do not go on weekends).

Buying via online pickup really doesn't save you much time other than you don't have to wait in another line to check out... but their online pickup sometimes is backed up by days (yes days) because they don't have enough staff to properly gather the orders so it's easier to just go in and find the items yourself.

The one benefit is most of their stuff is cheaper than Best Buy and on par with Amazon.

irvinehomeowner said:
I've been to MicroCenter a few times... it is a pain to get in depending on the day (do not go on weekends).

Buying via online pickup really doesn't save you much time other than you don't have to wait in another line to check out... but their online pickup sometimes is backed up by days (yes days) because they don't have enough staff to properly gather the orders so it's easier to just go in and find the items yourself.

The one benefit is most of their stuff is cheaper than Best Buy and on par with Amazon.

They have better pricing than most if you want to build your own PC especially if you pick up parts when on sale at Microcenter, or for the lazy like me now, the prebuilts are decently priced when on sale for their gaming PCs. 

Everyone goes there for GPU and CPU restocks hoping to get one of the new ones recently released, believe there are lines daily, I think its pretty busy there most days now.

eyephone] Go to Yelp and look at their recent reviews about the wait. [/quote] Like I said...  best to go on weekdays when it's not as busy. [quote author=iacrenter said:
Reading momopi's post reminded me of my own search for a power drill. After looking at all the options, I went old school and bought a plug in version. For me it was a matter of cost savings, infrequent usage, and long term reliability

I had a battery powered one and used it a few times a year. The problem was that it would always be out of juice when I needed it. I hated having to wait for it to charge. Most of my jobs were within extension cord distance of any plug in my house/yard/garage.

The batteries also degrade over time and don't hold their charge. You end up stuck with a expensive door stopper if you can't get a proprietary battery replacement. I'm guessing my plugin drill should last me decades.

I ended up going to Home Depot to purchase a Dewalt plugin drill for 50% less than a battery version. As I was standing the sales rep for Milwaukee tried to stop me. She insisted I buy her "upgraded" battery version. I just smiled and went on my way.

I inherited an used Chicago Electric cordless drill that was purchased from Harbor Freight years ago.  Even after all these years, and discontinuation of Chicago electric products, the battery is still good.  I used the drill to install various child proof devices around the house.  I think these sold for around $35-$40 back then.  I gave away my corded black & decker.

At Harbor Freight you could pick up a new "drill master" 18v cordless drill for $20, or $16 with 20% off coupon.  For something a little better, the $30 ($24 w/coupon) "Warrior" brand cordless drill.  I think for most home use (install curtain rods, assemble elevated planting boxes, etc.) these are "good enough" but would probably not last in professional use environment.

On the plus side, replacement 18v battery and charger is relatively inexpensive.  $12.99 ($10.40 w/coupon) for drill master battery and $20 ($16 w/coupon) for Warrior battery + charger.

Please go to Yelp and look at the reviews.

Also, my personal experience I had to wait in line to put my cell phone in a database to get admitted to the store for pickup. They text me back short of 3 hours. (Due to # of people restrictions in the store)
(Btw I saw the text when I was home and did not go back to Micro Center)

Keep in mind this is for Internet pick up. (I believe Best Buy, Target, Lowe?s, etc..You do not have to wait in line or wait in a que to pick up the order that you placed online.) Correct me if I am wrong.

Hopefully they change this.

momopi said:
eyephone] Go to Yelp and look at their recent reviews about the wait. [/quote] Like I said...  best to go on weekdays when it's not as busy. [quote author=iacrenter said:

I inherited an used Chicago Electric cordless drill that was purchased from Harbor Freight years ago.  Even after all these years, and discontinuation of Chicago electric products, the battery is still good.  I used the drill to install various child proof devices around the house.  I think these sold for around $35-$40 back then.  I gave away my corded black & decker.

At Harbor Freight you could pick up a new "drill master" 18v cordless drill for $20, or $16 with 20% off coupon.  For something a little better, the $30 ($24 w/coupon) "Warrior" brand cordless drill.  I think for most home use (install curtain rods, assemble elevated planting boxes, etc.) these are "good enough" but would probably not last in professional use environment.

eyephone said:
Please go to Yelp and look at the reviews.
Also, my personal experience I had to wait in line to put my cell phone in a database to get admitted to the store for pickup. They text me back short of 3 hours. (Due to # of people restrictions in the store)
(Btw I saw the text when I was home and did not go back to Micro Center)
Keep in mind this is for Internet pick up. (I believe Best Buy, Target, Lowe?s, etc..) You do not have to wait in line or wait in a que to pick up the order that you placed online.) Correct me if I am wrong.
Hopefully they change this.

Typically (not always) weekdays around mid-day is less busy.  Early mornings, afternoons-evenings, and weekends are busy.

You?ve had better luck than me when it comes to battery power tools. I?ve had too many bad battery experiences.

I?m also impatient and a "spontaneous planner" when it comes to home repair. Not a good combination when using rechargeable power tools.  :)

momopi said:
iacrenter said:

On the plus side, replacement 18v battery and charger is relatively inexpensive.  $12.99 ($10.40 w/coupon) for drill master battery and $20 ($16 w/coupon) for Warrior battery + charger.
l

Were these nicad or li-ion batteries?  The lithiums have been magical.  High discharge, hold a decent charge over time and charge up quickly.  I've had my oldest lithiums for over 9 years according to my Amazon history and they still work fine.  I don't use them that often  but I usually work then hard when I do.

Back