Bike Trails

As you may have noticed, Irvine has lots of on- and off-street bike trail. Here's the link to <a href="http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/depts/pw/projdev/city_of_irvine_bikeways.asp">the City's map</a> as of August 2006.

Any favorite trails?

<p>I ride Laguna Canyon Road (Irvine Spectrum to Laguna Beach) every Sat afternoon. Its somewhat challenging and not for beginners. The nicest ride in the area is probably the Newport Backbay to either Newport Beach or Huntington Beach.</p>

<p>Map for Laguna Canyon Road (about 20 miles roundtrip if you start from Spectrum):</p>

<p><a href="http://www.runstoppable.com/routeoverview.php5?route_id=876835382">http://www.runstoppable.com/routeoverview.php5?route_id=876835382</a></p>

<p>Orange County Bike Trail Map</p>

<p><a href="http://www.949sports.com/2007/07/cycling-in-orange-county.html">http://www.949sports.com/2007/07/cycling-in-orange-county.html</a></p>

<p> </p>

I love the off-street bikepath that runs along the train tracks from Jeffrey to Harvard. I usually take that to work although sometimes I'll take the on-street path along Irvine Center Dr. Traveling the off-street bikepaths for the first time was like seeing Irvine for the first time even though I've lived here for 14 years.

The Quail Hill trail that runs through Shady Canyon is a challenging hill, especially since you end up in Turtle Rock.

However, most of the San Diego creek trail appears to be closed by Oak Creek due to some kind of construction. Anyone have any insight about what this is?

-OCR

OCR: I've taken it the other way.. from Turtle Rock to the other Shady Canyon gate. I haven't dared to go down into Quail Hill because that would mean I would have to find a back way up ;)

I seconds vicstash's comment on the Newport Backbay (I believe it's called the San Diego Creek bike trail).

I think the Santa Ana River bike trail is busier and not as pretty as the SDC bike trail.

I find Santiago Canyon canyon road (which I take from Jamboree to Cooks Corner and back) to be the prettiest route, especially in the spring.

For a quick on-street workout, I take Portola to Jamboree, then north to Santiago Canyon Road, then back. It's a short route, but you get a workout from the incline.

hopia, if you want another mean climb, take Portola to Pioneer to Peters Cyn, then the short paved path to Lower Lake Dr. Climb to Skyline, then right to Cowan Heights then turn around and go back over the hill in the other direction. There's quite a bit more elevation gain here than on Jamboree.

Bump.

I'm all about Peter's Canyon, not too far from my place. I used to train on the Santiago Cyn loop, in which you take Jamboree up to SCR and keep going until you get to Trabuco which becomes Irvine Blvd. 31 Miles, it is with some elevations.

Some good dirt trails are in Crystal Cove on the inland side of PCH. Harder rides. You can try to park in the parking lot of the school to dodge the parking fees. Or just park at Fashion Island. Pretty secluded stuff.

<em>

I'd be interested in getting a full Mountains to Sea trail ride together. Who's down?</em>

Depends on when. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we haven't been biking in over two years, but recently got the bikes out for a tune-up, and need some time to get into fighting shape. If you get an offer in the next month, take it, and we'll join you for the second one.

<p>Hi:</p>

<p>SD Creek is closed from now until Feb 2008 for some sort of construction. Its closed from Laguna Canyon Road to Jeffrey (on Barranca). You can avoid this part of the road by taking side street on Alton (recommended) or Barranca and then hop back on the trail on Jeffrey (there is an underground tunnel right next to the Shadow Oaks apartment complex that takes you through Woodbridge).</p>

<p>The Mountain to Sea ride basically means that you can travel from the foothills of Saddleback Mountain (Nortpark) and go all the way to Newport Beach. You start from Yale & Portola, and you end up on PCH. I've lived in Irvine for 17 years, and pretty much know every single bike path in the city.</p>

<p>If you are brave and have some aggressions that you need to burn off; just ride up Ridgeline from Jeffrey. I did that ride a few times while I was younger. Toughest climb in the area (in my opinion), that or if you are training for something, go ride the 12% gradient off the path to Top of the World in Laguna Beach.</p>

<p>The bike path started at the North end of Irvine Ranch in Santiago Hills and connected to Irvine in Vics' description. Homes are being planned adjacent to Santiago Hills in Orange and around the Irvine Lake. The homes would be fabulous with lake side ammenities. Futhermore the very northern edge of the Irvine Ranch by Yorba Linda will be new villages. Future residents of that area should negotiate a good discount or bulk rate or even exemption fast trak for using the toll road as primary connector to Irvine.</p>

I ride SD Creek to PCH pretty much every Day, in fact, I've just finished another 22 miler...I'd be down for a Mountain to sea !!

http://www.irvineranchlandreserve.org/mountains_map.asp

The ride I'm proposing would be from the top of the linear part of the Mountains to Sea trail (okay, just from the parking lot at Albertson's at Jambo and Chaps) down through Peter's Cyn,, all of the way to Back Bay. It would give a nice bisecting tour of The Ranch, and perhaps help some with future housing decisions. Or just be a good ride. I don't think it would be too challenging-- going from any mountains to any sea tends to be downhill.

We could talk about having cars with bike carriers at both ends to bring everybody back, or just take (ugh) public transportation. Thoughts?

I'm thinking leisurely pace, nothing too fast. Peter's Cyn does have dirt trails, a little tough for the beach cruiser, but that part of the ride could be modified for some, and they could take Jambo and meet up again down the line to make it work.

Back