Bars

"If I was single and with my cronies, it would be Hermosa hands-down." Lots of young families down there these days - just go between piers.

green_cactus:

Point being that Hermosa was fun for just about everything EXCEPT the surf, which is fairly crappy. The dining selections are fewer but waves much better on the Peninsula in the summer.

As for raising a family in Hermosa, that's rolling the dice. Most of the non-Asian kids I knew who grew up there were major-league derelicts. PV too. Big entrenched surf culture with heavy localism (Oakley Road gang that used to protect Lunada Bay from outsiders just one example). Also the area attracts strange characters. Case in point: My first landlord was a family guy with 2 teenage sons and a "girlfriend" in a vey nice part of Manhattan. I lived in the apt over their garage. Turns out he was the part owner of a "media business" in The Valley, if you know what I mean. The girlfriend was an ex-performer, and the kids were in various stages of rehab. I met so many other dysfunctional families while I lived there. Usually there was one common component.

There is a cheesy 80s movie that sort of showcases the South Bay lifestyle (and its ramifications): Tequila Sunrise with Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell and Michelle Pfeiffer. I actually thought it catpured the feel of that area at that time (late 80s). Pure decadence.

<p>If you can handle the price of admission for a SFR, Manhattan Beach has excellent schools and is somewhat family friendly --- seems to be even more family friendly than when I was living there in the 90's. I visit MB with some frequency, a couple of my doofus friends from those days never left....One in particular still living in the same crappy apartment decorated with a coffee table that consists of an empty keg with a surf board on top. Only thing that has changed is he is 37 now. Rock on!</p>

For pubs, Hermosa is the way to go. For God's sakes there is an "Underground" there.

In OC. I'd start at Skosh Monahan's in Costa Mesa for fish and chips. Then I'd go to the HArp Inn on 17th st and end up at Mularkey's or Muldoon's depending on which band is there.

Avoid the Goat Hill Tavern at all cost. My motto is..."Any night that doesn't end at 'The Goat' is a good night."

It just occured to me that if your friend is from the UK, why try to replicate London?

Take him to Lucky Strike Lanes at the Block of Orange, it's around the corner from Dave & Buster's. Full service bar, restaurant, bowling alley, and pool hall with beautiful cocktail waitresses in heels and fishnets.

Clearly some folks who have responded don't go out much.

If you're trying to just find some great local, LOW KEY bars, I'd suggest Newport Beach. Malarky's, Muldoons, Stag Bar - and there's a place down the street from Malarky's but I can't think of the name. GThere's Classic Q's on MacArthur is also a decent spot if you just want to play some pool and drink. The girls? Ehh...

"Ultra-Lounge" OC Style - pick up a copy of 944 magazine and go to one of those places. It might help if you can get yourself on a guest list. There are places like Fury, Tentation at Ten Sushi restaurant), Chimera, Sutra (Triangle Square - Costa Mesa).

Go on www.yelp.com to see what people had to say.

<p><em>"Point being that Hermosa was fun for just about everything EXCEPT the surf, which is fairly crappy."</em></p>

<p>OK, that's it! I have had just about enough of you putting down south bay surf. If you grow up surfing 2 foot mush and learn to wait 40 minutes between sets, and learn how to out paddle the Lunada boyz when invading and outrun them because you had to park your Falcon 1/2 mile away, you can surf just about anywhere. Flatlanders put down south bay surf because they can't catch a wave there. Surfing south bay teaches you how to paddle hard and scrap. Take your 9 ft. Robert August down to Old Man's.</p>

<p>And the Betty's may want to check out The Charthouse in Redondo Beach. Without your guy. The waiters are friendly, and easy on the eyes.</p>

"Clearly some folks who have responded don't go out much"

You don't either, if your recommending the Stag Bar or Fury.

I do love muldoons. Fury sucks. Bad. Tentation is OK, a little 'artificial' feeling. Sutra is nice but I haven't been there for a year and while the crowd was once quite upscale I've heard its turned sleezy.

Nothing really beats L.A. lounges though. I'd head to Sunset if you want a ton of cool, chill places to drink and meet girls.

If you want seedy bars where you can meet beach sluts head to the newport pier and go to sharkys, blue beet, etc.

Main Street in huntington is pretty cool for a good mix of different bars. And <a href="http://www.theoldeship.com/">The Old Ship</a> might be nice if your missing home. Have fun!

AWGEE:

Your ode to the virtues of being a grom in the South Bay are 100% accurate. Frohoff and Robinson made a bit of a career out of it for a while. Similar to Slater growing up on a steady diet of Sebastian Inlet. Crappy surf as a grom teaches solid fundamentals.

I spent as much time driving down to surf Trestles or Oceanside when I lived in the South Bay as I spent surfing Burnout or Manahttan Pier or El Porto. No longboards for me! Plus, South Bay is a northwest facing break. Not much action in the summer.

I never had the privilege of paddling out at Lunada. I've seen some sick photos though.

Back