Bars

Stuff It_IHB

I am new to Irvine and the OC and the lifestyle is very difference from London.

I have a friend coming over this weekend from the UK and we want to go pubing (drinking). This normally entails going from bar to bar, drinking an inordinate amount of alcohol, eating an indian curry and possibly hitting a club after that. Then at the end of the evening getting a taxi home. The next day waking up with a bad hangover and trying to determine what we did the night before.

Where is the best place to reproduce a night out in London?

I would suggest pine street in Long Beach.....there are a number of drinking places near ocean boulevard. Also, main street in huntington beach can be a good place for a drink or two or three or four.

Patsy's Irish Pub on Crown Valley & Golden Lantern in Laguna Niguel should make you feel right at home. No curry, to my knowledge, but an extensive menu, including Bangers & Mash, Colcannon, Corned Beef, etc. They have karaoke, pool tables, and a juke box. Frequented by many UK transplants. Have fun!

<p>stuff It</p>

<p><em>"Then at the end of the evening getting a taxi home"</em></p>

<p>This will cut your chances of meeting Trooper face to face.</p>

<p>enjoy!</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I would check out Fury in Newport Beach. It’s an ultra lounge/niteclub. Also, someone above suggested Ocean Blvd in Long Beach. There’s a reggae festival going on there this weekend. </p>

I am thinking you need to go from place to place.............you may like main street in seal beach, there are a number of bars and pubs to get liquid in............

So....here is the list:

#1 Main Street Huntington beach, at least 10 bars open to around 2:00 AM

#2 Pine street in Long Beach, bars and night clubs

#3 Main Street in Seal Beach, laid back pubs and bars maybe 5 or 6

Also,

#4 There are a lot of upscale bars in CDM on PCH. You can get started at Gulftream(lots of eye candy) and then go across PCH.

Thank you for giving me something to think about on Friday afternoon.

My goodness man, Hollywood is the place to be. More bars than you can shake a stick at.....but get a room, the taxi ride home would cost you more.

I always take my Mates to Laguna Beach and they love it, loadsa Booze, Loadsa Talent and there's a nice Place for a Ruby, I can't remember the name of it...but you can't fight in there like we did in the UK because here the odd lot have Guns.

There's nothing worse than gerrin shot after a night on the Tommy Tiss Mate...

So I take it I'm not invited then?

Bollocks.

<p>Ah awgee --- Hermosa and Manhattan Beach. The five most wonderful years of my life from 1995 - 2000 while living in MB......</p>

<p>Er, ummm --- I mean those five most wonderful years are the ones since I got married in 2002....</p>

My South Bay years were late 80s/early 90s, before the gentrification. Running pier to pier every morning on the strand. Surfing dumpy beachbreak. Hours and hours of pickup 2 man volleyball. Hoops at Valley Park. Anyone remember 12th Street in Manhattan Beach? Reggae Sunday night at Sunsets or Sportcenter (also known as Snortcenter back in the day :)

The great thing about going big when you're young is that it lessens chances of the mid-life crisis. I look back at those years and smile but wouldn't trade the family life now for anything.

<p>B2B,</p>

<p>I remember 12th Street well... that was a happening place in the early 90s. Is there a better place than HB/MB for someone to spend their twenties? I don't think so... your description of v-ball (26th Street in HB for me...) and surfing (off Longfellow Ave) sounds a lot like how I spent my time in the South Bay.</p>

<p>Some friends of mine from those days have been contemplating a reunion <a href="http://www.greatrentals.com/rental-property/p165435i">here</a>. This should a great time if it all comes together... </p>

<p>Thanks for the memories...</p>

Irvine_Lurker:

"Lurking" was actually the term we used to describe our nocturnal and weekend activities back then. Classic board moniker.

The South Bay was the best place to be young and single I've ever experienced. The surf was crap but the women, bars and atmosphere blew away OC. We used to venture to West LA and Santa Monica (The Pink, Rubber (Mickey Rourke's Club), Gotham City in Venice, Truth, so many others) but the South Bay was always the perfect mix of beach and "L.A." Really a unique place.

I wonder if I ever ran into you at my crazy friend's Halloween parties. This person lived right on Hermosa Ave for ~10 years, and these Halloween parties were legendary in Hermosa. A hundred people crammed into a 2br place all in a common "state".

I've been toying with a beach rental for the family this summer. That Hermosa place looks nice, but I'm opting for the Balboa Peninsula. This family guy could use a couple weeks surfing Newport. If I was single and with my cronies, it would be Hermosa hands-down.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Stuff It - take him to Hermosa. Get a room at The Beach House at the end of Pier Ave and spend all night across the street at George Best's place "Besties". Blows Huntington away.

I used to live near Hermosa 10 years ago and I used to get my English fix by going to besties (met a really scary woman in there but that is a story for another day). Last time I had visitors I took them Hermosa. Besties is now called the underground.

Went to HB last night and I am feeling rather worse for ware (and this is at 9pm - imagine how I felt earlier). Thanks for all the advice

Back