At what point in the rate cycle would you pass on home buying?

Burn That Belly said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
We may see a +3% 10 year sooner than later. Then again a few more -200 stock days should postpone higher rates as investors in stocks get wobbly. People will begin to weigh in the balance if it's wise to buy more FANG stock or a big bundle of 3% government debt.

(Facebook Apple Netflix Google)

+3% would be crazy if homes continue to appreciate like Delano. Remember that we still have the growing 1.48T national student loan debt. Only a few years ago, we were at $800B. A 3% rate increase plus these student loans will all but wipe out any average Z-gens any chances of buying a (Irvine) home.

Soylent refer to the 10 T-bill rate at which is approaching 3 percent or 2.96 % to be exact on April 20, 2018. The 10 yrs T-Bill is a correlation to mortgage rate increase. This will hit and push rate to 5 % for jumbo loan by summer.

Burn That Belly said:
fortune11 said:
Multiple story duplexes are actually very common in West LA . But again , those are dense neighborhoods , much more so than great park , so not apples to apples comparison . But there is proof it works under the right circumstances .

That?s not apples to apples comparison. We can?t talk about multi-million dollar Manhattan apartments or apartments in Trump towers...

Isn?t that (not apples to apples) what i said :).  But you had to make a point using Manhattan which is NOT what I used as example .

West LA is proximate enough both in terms of geography and underlying dynamics (distance from coastal areas) that it can be a good comp down the road . The thing is I don?t know the future - neither do you .

All we can do is make educated guesses about the future  . And in that realm of probabilities great park multi level homes are not something you can totally dismiss as having no relevance .

Compressed-Village said:
lnc said:
For me personally, higher interest rate is less of a deterring factor than higher home prices.

I rather buy a home at 10% interest rate but with a 50% lower home prices than other way around.

Yes of course that is the best scenario. But what if you have a continuing higher rate and continually higher price?

Then that?s a double whammy. 

As a potential trade up buyer, higher home price makes me think twice about trading up.  With the home prices continue going up, on one hand my asset goes up but on the other hand, it will cost me a lot more to trade up.  When you trade up, it?s not just simply the price difference between the two products.  The trade up home will have a significant higher property tax, maybe also higher MR, and the new property tax deduction limits plus the higher interest rate doesn?t help either.

10 yr Futures for Monday 4/23 indicate a 2.97 open. The 3% handle is closer that many are willing to believe.

Every time in last 5 years that we have approached 3% on 10y  , we have failed and fallen back below (even in Feb after that block buster jobs report).  Lets see if this time is different ...

Interest rates and price are irrelevant.  The math is simple, population growth is greater than housing growth.  Until the economy runs a ground, price increases will continue until people self select into greater occupant density.  Moving to Riverside is just a stratification of occupant density.

If you build 1000 housing units with a currennt, (and target density) of 2.3 people but your population increases by 30,000 people you have an issue.  This is what we've been doing for two decades across the entire five county region.

nosuchreality said:
Interest rates and price are irrelevant.  The math is simple, population growth is greater than housing growth.  Until the economy runs a ground, price increases will continue until people self select into greater occupant density.  Moving to Riverside is just a stratification of occupant density.

If you build 1000 housing units with a currennt, (and target density) of 2.3 people but your population increases by 30,000 people you have an issue.  This is what we've been doing for two decades across the entire five county region.

yes, we agree .  check my other post in this thread .  interest rates matter less compared to everything else going on ...

Burn That Belly said:
nosuchreality said:

So population growth means more demand chasing fewer products... is that why attached products can command $1M+ in the best of neighborhoods? 

If population growth is left unchecked (in Irvine), from today's 266K to say..350K... regardless of interest rates we say, home prices thus have no where to go but up? 

Or are people going to start living on the streets and park benches of GP?

tent city 2.0

I have to make this decision sometime in the next 4-5 years.  Should I stay put with a 3.66% mortgage that is paid off in 12 years, or move up to a larger place paying a much higher interest rate?  If I stay put, then I would probably need to add-on an additional 1,200+ sq ft to our living space.

I think ironically, higher interest rates decrease the supply of starter homes. As Liar Loan pointed out, he has less incentive to move up.

My scenario:
Stay in my 2.75% mortgage with 2011 property tax rates and mello-roos that starts expiring in 2020?
Total Cost: $2,800/mo

Move up with a home that "costs" 50% more:
- Borrow the "transaction costs": $200/mo
- Additional mortgage on the 50% higher cost: $1,800/mo
- Interest rate goes up to 4.25%: $700/mo
- Property tax on the 50% higher cost: $400/mo
- Property tax on the additional mello roos: $300/mo
- Property tax on the value reset: $250/mo
- Property tax for the higher base mellos roos: $350/mo

New total with rolling 100% home equity into the new home, but no additional money down: $6,800.

If I could move up to a larger house for around 50% more ($4,500/mo) I'd consider it in a couple years. But for 150% more for 50% more expensive home? Heck no..

paperboyNC said:
I think ironically, higher interest rates decrease the supply of starter homes. As Liar Loan pointed out, he has less incentive to move up.

My scenario:
Stay in my 2.75% mortgage with 2011 property tax rates and mello-roos that starts expiring in 2020?
Total Cost: $2,800/mo

Move up with a home that "costs" 50% more:
- Borrow the "transaction costs": $200/mo
- Additional mortgage on the 50% higher cost: $1,800/mo
- Interest rate goes up to 4.25%: $700/mo
- Property tax on the 50% higher cost: $400/mo
- Property tax on the additional mello roos: $300/mo
- Property tax on the value reset: $250/mo
- Property tax for the higher base mellos roos: $350/mo

New total with rolling 100% home equity into the new home, but no additional money down: $6,800.

If I could move up to a larger house for around 50% more ($4,500/mo) I'd consider it in a couple years. But for 150% more for 50% more expensive home? Heck no..

Yeah, I wasn't even factoring in property tax, but that would almost double for me as well.

paperboyNC said:
As soon as law makers figure this out, expect some form of repeal of Prop 13.

Thankfully I think my next move won't be until retirement.  But to answer the original question, it comes down to some sort of NPV calculation.  Depending on the lender I can sometimes buy the rate down.  If my desired rate costs me $20k to get, then that's the extra cost, which has to come out of somewhere.  If my desired rate can't be bought, then I have to come up with a NPV calc of my own.  The banks are typically more aggressive than I am, so my own calcs will assign a higher NPV.

Burn That Belly said:
Compressed-Village said:
Staying on the topic, 5 % rate I think will make people continue to buy, because the one that looking to buy now or in the near future, they buy with personal reasons. Perhaps they?ve been renting and decided that it?s time to have a place of their own. And rate will continue to march upward and it will cost even more. That?s why 3 and 4 story makes sense to them because you get more squares footage, vertical living and have a smaller mortgage.

3 and 4 story makes sense? Must be joking right. it only makes sense when the millennial is priced out and there?s nothing left to buy. Not to mention the loss of square footage to stairs and terrible corridor designs. Even USCTrojan knows, these homes diminishes your buyer pool greatly compared to 1 and 2 story homes of the same sqfootage. IIRC our TI member dream16 had a hard time with his tri-floor PS condo.

As soon as the millennials can get enough of an equity, job promotion, etc.. they should get out of their 3/4 story convalescent homes while they can. There are already evidence of this happening in GP homes that I posted in the other thread..

Now I do agree, there will always be desperate millennials who need to buy something, anything and yes these 3/4 story convalescent homes are their only shot. But they don?t make any sense in the medium/long run to raise a family, or even have grandma live with you.

I bought 3 level condo in Oak Park/Oak Creek back in 1999.  My first purchase in Irvine.

Despite the high HOA, these condos tend to sell very quickly on the market.

We hit 3 percent on 10y and failed again (below 3 now but by only a hair ) .. so far it does not look to be  much different than last time this happened , but let?s see ...

What was 4.125 to 4.375 at time of original post is now 4.5 to 4.75. Got FICO issues? We'll start at 5% in some cases.

Rates don't go up forever, so it will be some time before what a 4.5 or higher average rate will do to the market.

My .02cz

Back