AT&T Fiber vs. Cox Gigablast

Bumping this post.

Any updated opinions on AT&T vs Cox for home internet? Looking for reliability over cost. Low ping would be ideal of course.

Cares said:
Bumping this post.

Any updated opinions on AT&T vs Cox for home internet? Looking for reliability over cost. Low ping would be ideal of course.

move to AT&T...haven't had any problems.  Never had Gigablast but I'm pretty all these 300 mb vs 1 gig thing is PR fluff.  AT&T's router is bad so you should have a backup. 

We had issues with our setup in part because they were trying to merge our mobile account with our internet account.  But other than that, AT&T is a lot cheaper than Cox.

Irvinecommuter said:
Cares said:
Bumping this post.

move to AT&T...haven't had any problems.  Never had Gigablast but I'm pretty all these 300 mb vs 1 gig thing is PR fluff.  AT&T's router is bad so you should have a backup. 

We had issues with our setup in part because they were trying to merge our mobile account with our internet account.  But other than that, AT&T is a lot cheaper than Cox.

Does AT&T allow an option to hardwire the ethernet straight to my router from whatever box they have outside my house? This is how I currently have my FiOS setup so I could bypass their hardware.

irvinehomeowner said:
What is the cost of AT&T Fiber? It's not available in all areas.

Cox Gigablast is $99/month with a discount for us.

It shows as available based on address. 100 Mbps is $50 with 1TB cap. 300 Mbps is $70 with 1TB cap. 1000 Mbps is $80 with no data cap.

Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Cares said:
Bumping this post.

Does AT&T allow an option to hardwire the ethernet straight to my router from whatever box they have outside my house? This is how I currently have my FiOS setup so I could bypass their hardware.

Not sure.  They set up the gateway and then run a hardline to the designated outlet.  The hardline seems fine...it's the wifi that's an issue. 

Cares said:
Right so if I bypass their router and use my equipment then it would improve the signal.

I don't know if you can bypass their router.  I just have another router with the hardline...works fine.

You need to put the AT&T gateway in pass-through mode and then you can use your own  wireless routeur.

AT&T has different gateway models but there are a lot of tutorial online to put yours in pass-through mode.

marmott said:
You need to put the AT&T gateway in pass-through mode and then you can use your own  wireless routeur.

AT&T has different gateway models but there are a lot of tutorial online to put yours in pass-through mode.

It works fine and now I have two wifi routers.

Had att fiber and it was very up and down.  Canceled directv and my 70 a month jumped to 110.

Cox gave me 2 years for 65/mo plus free install so I switched.  You get to use your own router and no att junk to have to bypass.

I'm getting AT&T Fiber 1000 for $65/month or at least it should be. I've been getting billed only $15/month for the last 2 cycles. I think they may have double added promos on my account. I'm not complaining.

Back