ASUS Transformer Prime

I'm thinking I'll watch some streaming content off my NAS, browse the web, play some games and try out some apps with whatever tablet I get.  I see my grandmother use her iPad when she comes over and she's always watching some streaming movies/shows/etc.  I don't think I'd like anything smaller than that for myself.  I don't plan on toting the thing out of the house.

I guess if I'm at home and I want to watch video... it's going to be on a computer 13" screen or larger or on an HDTV.

But if I were in the market for a 10", the TFP would be at the top of that list because of the keyboard dock.

You should wait until after CES to buy... esp if Sammy is going to announced an 11" hi-rez tablet (same form factor as 10" tablets).

I would have to agree with IHO, I know you don't intend on using a tablet outside of your house, but you most likely will... seeing as to how useful Android tablets are...

I'm not saying you're gonna be lugging the thing around taking pictures, videos and making all sorts phone calls, but... I like the 7"-7.7" form factor because I can still put it inside a jacket pocket, cargo pants, portfolio case or carry around like a notebook...

I would use the thing in my car on my commutes, on trains or buses, coffee shops, convention centers, on a plane, and eating out... it would take load off the smartphone; basically anywhere I go where I'm sitting around not having to be on my feet...

The Nexus has been great walking around, working in and out of the car, walking around at the mall or shopping at the grocery store, Costco...

The Nexus has even been a bit too much at the gym, as I find myself going back to the Desire as my ultra-portable device...

Are you talking about the upcoming Prime with 1080p resolution?  Rumor is it's supposed to be a higher end Prime with better resolution and updated back plate for better RF.  It's also supposed to be $100 more for each capacity.  No word on exact release date (will probably be delayed as with all their tablets).

Yeah... that's the one.

And by the time that comes out... we'll see a preview of the Transformer Prime HD Plus Ultra Super Deluxe.

Video's out you guys...

Hands-on the Quad-Core, ICS Powered Iconia Tab A510, ZTE 7-Inch
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YN1pwU5463Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HECApaBpy7s[/youtube]

roundcorners said:
Video's out you guys...

Hands-on the Quad-Core, ICS Powered Iconia Tab A510, ZTE 7-Inch
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YN1pwU5463Q[/youtube]

Is the 1080p of the A700 a better choice on a 10.1" tablet?  Is it worth the assumed higher price with a possibly lower battery life (maybe lower performance) due to the higher resolution pull on the GPU?

I'm definitely not getting the ASUS Transformer Prime now that a newer model is in the works (with a higher price) that will hopefully not have the RF issues (new backplate).  Too many hiccups and hardware issues noted by early adopters of this tablet.  Too bad because it's a nice looking tablet at a good price for the power.

another video... wait, I think we are talking about the same model right?

so it the MeMo 370T - we didn't get a model # on Tuesday...

First Look: $250 ASUS MeMO 370T ? Affordable Tegra 3 and Ice Cream Sandwich for Everyone [Video]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=su5yjTGKt3k[/youtube]

So I was able to go into a Best Buy during lunch and they had an ASUS Transformer Prime available.  It's a beautiful tablet.  Too bad it's got so many issues.  The 7" tablets felt ok, but a little small for me.  The 8.9" tablet felt pretty good.  But I think a 10.1" tablet will be best for me as I don't plan on lugging it outside the house.

It's funny that when I started looking at the 7" tablets, one of the BB guys came up and said "Please don't buy that.  A new 7" ASUS is coming out that'll blow away all of these."

Everyone is making bank here at work; cause, seems like someone is bringing in a new Android device every week around here... feel so behind, that I don't even have a Tab yet...

Another guy here, came in with a Prime, and I've got a few quality hours with it yesterday, very nice and crisp; those 800 meg bootleg movies look great on my HTC but doesn't do the display any justice.  Gotta see how movies are on the thing say around 5-Gigs...  Glow Ball is VERY addicting, and I don't even play shooters, but Shadow Gun is a must have on that thing...

Overall, I kinda expected more from a Tera 3; my phone opens things just as quickly, and there was one PDF that was just SUPER slow; it might have been the PDF itself, but it didn't load correctly, the thing was buggy and I've tried like 5 PDF readers and almost everyone had an error; it couldn't be ICS, or maybe the Prime itself or like I said, might just be the file itself...

The thing is light and easy to hold, typing gets too complicated with the split keyboard... but ok; everything else performs perfectly; this totally feels like HS all over again... all your peers are getting these cool cars, and I end up bumming for rides all day long...

I'm with you there, RC, on the whole missing out on having a tablet.  I'm very anxiously waiting for the upcoming Android tablets to get released.  I'm about to pickup the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 to hold me over until the new models come out, then return it before the 90 days.

The Transformer Prime... yes, beautiful device.  I'd have one now if... the wifi worked better, the GPS worked and the many other issues didn't exist.  I'd read that owners of the device on XDA have pried open the thing (apparently easy to do) to test if the all metal backing is the cause of the RF issues.  Not a good sign for a device.

RC - if you had the dough for a new tablet, which would you go with?  I got my wife an iPad for Xmas and while it's nice for surfing, it sucks for the way I want to use it.  I usually have 10 browser windows open and always flipping around.  Can't do that well on her iPad and then there are things like background downloading that seem to not work well for me.  I think an ICS tablet would be good for me but not sure which one to go with or wait for all the cool stuff from CES to become available.

The WiFi is snappy, but I do sit like 10 feet away from the router; but yeah, Google Maps says that I am where I am, but the weather location keeps saying I'm in San Jose, funny... had to manually set the location; wonder if it'll update automatically...

Personally, I can do without a Tab; the kid is perfectly happy with the HTC as his Tab and my supplementary device... now that our Trade Shows are covered with TWO ICS tabs, I feel even less pressure to get a device for myself...

Also, it's is even more apparently that, a 7" is more my style; so that makes thing easier to decide...

G-Tab 7 (2)...!http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-outed-runs-ics-7-inch-display
gt2.jpg

The Galaxy Tab 2 is a strange device... it's not much better than the just release Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... Samsung really likes to cannibalize their own product lines.

Despite the GPS issues, the best 10" Android tablet is still the Transformer Prime.

Best 7" tablet is a tie between the Blackberry Playbook and Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... although the Springboard (AKA Huawei Mediapad) is very compelling.

The review on the Galaxy Tab 7.7" has it as one of the best regardless of size... and it has the best battery life of all tablets.

Back