Asians taking pictures of food

traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
He broke the cardinal law by marrying outside of his race so don't expect him to fall into the immigrant routines.

As long as we're on this topic, IHS, would you mind providing me some honest insight?

What do Asian guys in general think about white women? Also, do these rules apply to Pacific Islanders?

I want to hear from the other TI Asian guys on this issue as well. Anyone?

Me being bi-racial (Asian and White) I had no restrictions and liked many types of races (including mixed races) but I did have a preference to Asian.  I was a brunette chaser during my single days.  Well, sometimes went for the Asian blonds... Actually now that I think about it, I went for a lot of Asian blondes  :).  But I think with Asian guys, they have no problem dating White women but there is a lot of cultural pressure to stay within your own race (down to the nationality level) when you settle down.  In reality, most cultures (Asian and others including White) subscribe to this philosophy.  My kids are tri-racial so I have no idea who they are going to end up with when they get older. 

Regarding Samoan's.  You need to also include Tongan's as well, they are on a small island like Samoan's and people usually mistake them for Samoan because of their looks and build.  They are very open and friendly as well but you have to know Samoan's and Tongan's do not like each other.

How much do you know about your Asian heritage, history and language? Can you read well as write? Can you move to your ancestors origin and be able to conduct daily life without difficulties?

davenlei said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
He broke the cardinal law by marrying outside of his race so don't expect him to fall into the immigrant routines.

As long as we're on this topic, IHS, would you mind providing me some honest insight?

What do Asian guys in general think about white women? Also, do these rules apply to Pacific Islanders?

Me being bi-racial (Asian and White) I had no restrictions and liked many types of races (including mixed races) but I did have a preference to Asian.  I was a brunette chaser during my single days.  Well, sometimes went for the Asian blonds... Actually now that I think about it, I went for a lot of Asian blondes  :).  But I think with Asian guys, they have no problem dating White women but there is a lot of cultural pressure to stay within your own race (down to the nationality level) when you settle down.  In reality, most cultures (Asian and others including White) subscribe to this philosophy.  My kids are tri-racial so I have no idea who they are going to end up with when they get older. 

Regarding Samoan's.  You need to also include Tongan's as well, they are on a small island like Samoan's and people usually mistake them for Samoan because of their looks and build.  They are very open and friendly as well but you have to know Samoan's and Tongan's do not like each other.

irvinehomeshopper said:
How much do you know about your Asian heritage, history and language? Can you read well as write? Can you move to your ancestors origin and be able to conduct daily life without difficulties?

davenlei said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I know a good sum about my Asian heritage (my mother is the immigrant) as well as the culture in general.  I was in Asia last year and was able to do light conversing to get around, order food, ask directions, etc.  I lost the ability to read and write it years ago (I knew it when I was a kid). 
Could I get around without difficulty in daily life?  It would be a bit difficult at first but if I was there for a couple of months, I would be able to hang fine.  While I was there for two weeks, my verbal language skills started coming back more and I was starting to recognize the characters on signs a little.

traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Dating no problem, marriage different story. Asian guys find most races attractive. I personally think Latinas below 25 are the hottest chicks ever, prior to them aging and ballooning off the tortillas...j/k.  ???

When it comes to marriage, most asian parents and grandparents don't speak english so there will be communication issues. Moms would think their son was getting starved or served terrible wannabe asian food by their non-asian wife, causing mom to stress. There are also a lot of asian traditions/customs that the non-asian wife would not know and that an asian mom will either voice in anger or hold and be bitter/resentful towards the wife. This is why asians want marriage within their own (e.g. korean to korean, chinese to chinese).

From a guys standpoint, asian girls do age better. I'm in my 30's and still get carded for cigarrettes/beer without fail...even when the cashier is 18 themselves and should know what someone less than 18 looks like. Also, I want to maintain my culture and want my child raised the same way...what can I say. I have a hard time believing two korean americans can do it, let alone w/ a non-korean. my 2 cents.

Excellent viewpoint and very accurate indeed. The olders generations biggest fear is the grand or great grand children losing the Korean culture. ABK with a 100% Korean parents would already have a hardtime retaining the Korean culture and with only one parent the cultural exposure diminishes greatly.

Caucasians would not agree to visiting Korean inlaw on a weekly basis. Korean and other Asian parents would not mind at all seeing their son or daughter regularly. Most complaints I hear in interracial marriages is inlaws losing a son or a daughter rather than gaining a son or daughter inlaw. Parents will do what ever they can to keep them close by offering default babysitting, down payment for a house and paying for restaurant meals. PatStar is a rare case and he is every Asian parents dream son inlaw.

BTW I will be going to the KPOP competition in LA next month.

MovingOnUp said:
traceimage said:
SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Dating no problem, marriage different story. Asian guys find most races attractive. I personally think Latinas below 25 are the hottest chicks ever, prior to them aging and ballooning off the tortillas...j/k.  ???

When it comes to marriage, most asian parents and grandparents don't speak english so there will be communication issues. Moms would think their son was getting starved or served terrible wannabe asian food by their non-asian wife, causing mom to stress. There are also a lot of asian traditions/customs that the non-asian wife would not know and that an asian mom will either voice in anger or hold and be bitter/resentful towards the wife. This is why asians want marriage within their own (e.g. korean to korean, chinese to chinese).

From a guys standpoint, asian girls do age better. I'm in my 30's and still get carded for cigarrettes/beer without fail...even when the cashier is 18 themselves and should know what someone less than 18 looks like. Also, I want to maintain my culture and want my child raised the same way...what can I say. I have a hard time believing two korean americans can do it, let alone w/ a non-korean. my 2 cents.

MovingOnUp said:
I personally think Latinas below 25 are the hottest chicks ever, prior to them aging and ballooning off the tortillas...j/k.  ???

That's what im talking about.  A mexican/latin woman in her early twenties is a real woman, curves in all the right places, but it is guaranteed they will balloon up. My first wife was white, 5' 9 about 135, would fall into that category of a real woman with curves in all the right places. My current (and final) wife is a petite asian. 

Mexicans are more accepting/friendly than asians so there was no pressure for me to marry mexican.  I was more than open to it, however, i have not had the pleasure of meeting many professional mexican woman.  For me, aside from looks and personality, my wife needed to be a professional and have relatively good earning potential.  Two big criteria for a relationship that i had when i was looking was that she have no kids and that she had the ability to make 80% of what i did (you dont want to marry a potential liability, if you get divorced you dont want to pay too much or any alimony).  Race/ethnicity was never a concern. It just so happened that i was mostly around white/asian women. 

?_?  Not sure what the issue with food photos is.  For fans of MOS Burger, Bun Bun Tea House in Arcadia (around the corner from Ding Tai Feng) is now serving rice burgers (burgers with rice buns).  IMO it's not as good as the real thing in JP, TW, or SG, but acceptable.

Bun Bun Tea House
651 W Duarte Rd, Ste C
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626) 446-4168 http://www.yelp.com/biz/bun-bun-tea-house-arcadia

IMAGE_2734093F-11B5-400E-9ECB-23D3BAAA3FCE.JPG

As for the Asian culture thing, if and when we have kids, we'd simply take or send them abroad to Asia, either full time or part time.  We have relatives in TW/HK/CN/SG/JP, and TW has many summer programs for oversea kids (plus my parents live in TPE).  There are also exchange student opportunities.  The world is a big place and I wouldn't want to limit my kid's life-experience to Irvine and Cerritos.

qwerty said:
that she had the ability to make 80% of what i did (you dont want to marry a potential liability, if you get divorced you dont want to pay too much or any alimony). 

was this criteria established after your divorce or used for your first marriage as well?  it seems very logical but like a prenup, seems very cold

rkp said:
qwerty said:
that she had the ability to make 80% of what i did (you dont want to marry a potential liability, if you get divorced you dont want to pay too much or any alimony). 

was this criteria established after your divorce or used for your first marriage as well?  it seems very logical but like a prenup, seems very cold

this was my criteria before before my first marriage, this has always been my criteria. i was married for almost three years so didnt have to do alimony. she made almost as much as i did at the time so their would not have been much alimony anyway.  its kind of cold i guess.

actually doesnt sound as cold if i put it into another context.  for the indians in the US, most parents want their kids marrying someone in a  similar profession, economic stature, similar families with similar wealth.  its not about alimony but about making the marriage work. 

Patrick J. Star said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
PatStar is a rare case and he is every Asian parents dream son inlaw.

Asian girls love me. Their mothers do, too.  As the years go by I notice most of my closer male friends tend to be Asian now, as well.  Everything I post on Facebook, 99% of all comments and likes come from Asian girls. The funny thing is, it was never by design. I was never (and am still not) one of those yellow fever whiteboys.  I never even dated Asian until I was 28 (mostly into the Latinas before that, go figure).  Couldn't even use chopsticks at that age.  Twelve years later still have a Mandarin vocabulary of about 25 words, and that mostly consists of food and terms of endearment.  There are still more things on any authentic Chinese restaurant menu I DON'T eat than I do eat.

But above all I love my wife very much and respect everything about her --- of which her culture is first and foremost. I have never and will never ask her to be more like me, or give up anything that is important to her.  I have never tried to "take her away" from who she is, and better yet --- have actively participated in who she is. Even if it means I let her put Hello Kitty family stickers on my car.

Love and respect your spouse no matter what they are --- and don't expect them to be anything but who they are --- and unconditional acceptance by those close to them will follow.  Not immediately (it takes time) but it will come.  If you love that person, though, it is worth the extra effort gain the acceptance of all those who were important to them before you came along --- even if they don't accept you at first.

(for the record, we got $0 in downpayment assistance.  The #1 son, did, however).

excellent first post patrick :)

on the whole asian parents wanting to come over every day and a non asian not understanding that and other stuff like that, its really comes down to both parties actively trying to understand each other.  we have friends who are divorced cause the kid-in-law and parent-in-law never got along and never tried to get along and these are same race, same religion, heck from same small town in india

my wife and i are indian but we are from 2 very different states with different languages, customs, and cultures.  really we might as well be from different countries.  funny story...wanting to include our parents in the process, we got both their blessings and had them together to officially discuss the marriage.  after 3 hours of niceties and small talk, neither was broaching the subject of their kids getting married.  apparently, in my parents culture, the girls family proposes it and vice versa for my wifes parents culture.  so there we were just sitting around and finally, i said "any one want to get married?" and that finally started the discussions.  to think, both sides were worried that the other side wasnt on the same page so ever since then, my wife and i make sure we figure out the customs and protocals and help both sides get along

that night ended with my dad and her dad shaking hands and breaking a coconut to officially start the "alliance" :)

Patrick J. Star said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
PatStar is a rare case and he is every Asian parents dream son inlaw.

Asian girls love me. Their mothers do, too.  As the years go by I notice most of my closer male friends tend to be Asian now, as well.  Everything I post on Facebook, 99% of all comments and likes come from Asian girls. The funny thing is, it was never by design. I was never (and am still not) one of those yellow fever whiteboys.  I never even dated Asian until I was 28 (mostly into the Latinas before that, go figure).  Couldn't even use chopsticks at that age.  Twelve years later still have a Mandarin vocabulary of about 25 words, and that mostly consists of food and terms of endearment.  There are still more things on any authentic Chinese restaurant menu I DON'T eat than I do eat.

But above all I love my wife very much and respect everything about her --- of which her culture is first and foremost. I have never and will never ask her to be more like me, or give up anything that is important to her.  I have never tried to "take her away" from who she is, and better yet --- have actively participated in who she is. Even if it means I let her put Hello Kitty family stickers on my car.

Love and respect your spouse no matter what they are --- and don't expect them to be anything but who they are --- and unconditional acceptance by those close to them will follow.  Not immediately (it takes time) but it will come.  If you love that person, though, it is worth the extra effort gain the acceptance of all those who were important to them before you came along --- even if they don't accept you at first.

(for the record, we got $0 in downpayment assistance.  The #1 son, did, however).
Wait... I thought Pat rode off into the sunset with some finance expert. :)

See... it's posts like these that make me glad the pantsless LV addict sticks around.

we break coconuts a lot.  new car, new job, any religious ceremonies...list goes on.

actually new car even involves driving over 4 lemons, 1 under each tire.  maybe it symbolizes you crushing the curse of buying a lemon :)

rkp said:
we break coconuts a lot.  new car, new job, any religious ceremonies...list goes on.

actually new car even involves driving over 4 lemons, 1 under each tire.  maybe it symbolizes you crushing the curse of buying a lemon :)

I really wonder how these traditions get started and spread to the whole culture (for all cultures).  Like was it a guy that ran over lemons by accident and some people saw it and through the years the guy never broke down so then word of mouth started it for everyone?

Were you a landscaper or construction worker in Irvine during your younger days?

qwerty said:
MovingOnUp said:
I personally think Latinas below 25 are the hottest chicks ever, prior to them aging and ballooning off the tortillas...j/k.  ???

It just so happened that i was mostly around white/asian women. 

traceimage said:

TRACE! Watch this video. Have some Kleenex ready. This stuff made me want to:  :'(
It is heart-breaking. A cute, smart, sweet Asian guy explaining he's giving up on his "fantasy" of dating white women. He explains how Asian women are too materialistic - only want to be with him because he's a freaking doctor. Where were these guys when I was in college?? Geez!  :-\

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4a4ZYPAVg8&feature=related[/youtube]

Back